Regardin Tiamat

just have our nins finish their drk subs then ;x

I can see pld/nin and pld war dual tanking working also if you let only the pld/nin main tank, and keep the pld/war lower in hate the hate que. If he dies you are basically screwed because pld/war cannot tank mighty strikes. If you do use pld/nin as a main tank i think all the haste in the world is important to keep shadows up and for more flashing. When tiamat gets to low hp he seems to double attack way more, and basically burns right through your shadows, even on Nin. I'm up for trying either way, both work if you support them right. I'm not sure where /drk comes in on Nin, unless you are stating that so the Blm's don't have to stun, saving them from getting as much hate. In this case I would just recommend someone else subs drk and let the nin's /war. Or we could do pld/nin pld/drk! >_>_>>__> j/k, lol.

/drk for the hate-building capability of stun every 20 seconds, and spamming every JA after roar + melee'ing with souleater on until you get hate back.

Not the tanks fault.

I've played both nin and pld in HNM situations alot. PLD can reach the hate 'limit' faster then a nin, yes, but once you reach it, it simply doesn't matter, when a blm or whm hits that point, they get drawn in regardless of what the tank is doing.

You get a ping pong effect if a NIN and PLD were tanking the same thing long enough.

It is just easier for a pld to maintain an extremely high level of hate. I say easier, but not alot easier, as nin tools provide a good deal of enmity. It is alot easier to build that initial hate as PLD though, hands down.

Those new bard songs, at least the enmity reducing one, would be worth trying out on our blm's.

In all honesty, I think nin is the better tank for tia as much as I love my pld, just thinking while he is in the air (which is basically half the time?) a pld can't get the fire resist (suzy-s) that a nin can get and since pld is pure physical defense.

More SC's, more nukes, more log offs, more summoners.

Going to hide in a corner now before garret shield bashes me.

Our strategy does work, obviously. I don't know if I'd say it works well. Hard to say we're doing something well when other people can do it with half the people in half the time. Instead of saying that the reason we shouldn't use PLD/NINs is because they get 1-2 shotted at low HP, we should be asking how Wizardry avoided having their paladins get 1-2 shotted at low HP. Clearly it's possible to consistently avoid the situation you described.

This has more to do with an incredible support line than it does the actual type of tank. They've fought Tiamat plenty of times and know precisely when to flash/stun etc. so that their tanks don't get 1-2 shotted. I think this is why our last fight was relatively sloppy. There were a lot of people there who don't get to fight Tiamat very often, and perhaps weren't as familiar with the fight.

As for the speed of kills, we're simply not going to get sub 1 hour kills until a lot more people level SMN or BLM. It's not atypical for us to start a fight with 1 or 0 SMN and 3-4 BLM. That's obviously not a recipe for a fast kill, but usually we're more concerned with claiming at that point.

Like i said, if you want a tank that can hold hate against anything, let a DRK tank ;x ( And yes, people do have DRK/NIN tank things on other servers )

ill lvl my drk sub and tank tiamat on bst/drk... ok?:tounge-1: :tounge-1:

edit: serious note, a bst/nin stacked with killer effect + gear has been used to tank various mobs as well... i remember reading that one bst/something would tank fafnir without any trick attacks very efficiently. Must have been wearing something to give dragon killer, stacking the killer effect+ gear, full killer effect merits, chr+.

but no, I dont think i want to do that lol

ill lvl my drk sub and tank tiamat on bst/drk... ok?:tounge-1: :tounge-1:

edit: serious note, a bst/nin stacked with killer effect + gear has been used to tank various mobs as well... i remember reading that one bst/something would tank fafnir without any trick attacks very efficiently. Must have been wearing something to give dragon killer, stacking the killer effect+ gear, full killer effect merits, chr+.

but no, I dont think i want to do that lol
Uh, what did the BST do to get hate...?

charm on a 15sec timer is some hate, might have been /war and voke defender warcry... but to be honest i dont really know. I do know that with max killer effects/chr on bst... you can intimidate a shit load on nms

okay after reading all the stupid stuff....

I'll be the first to say 'if it's not broken don't fix it' but I really do think we could try some shit different with tiamat after watching 'em

like I said from 50% > 0% only ONE BLM got drawn in and died once
the tanks practically never lost hate even when Paulina was getting smacked for 500crit > 500crit +100 added effect a few times in a row (she got healed obviously to full then repeated)

and yeah we tried PLD/NINs before but I'm pretty sure that was when not everyone was comfortable with it so I would imagine that would reflect on the performance... now we all understand it a little better so I don't see a problem with giving it another shot some-time

I wouldn't mind trying war/whm. ;)
Do have -4enmity merits but that's made up easily in food. Not to mention a DS Curaga II would be nice :D
Would be using rune chopper/earth staff and haste gear on the ground, in the air I have a makeshift +fire resist set. (need a few pieces still)

I check with all mp gear how much mp I could have as war/whm tonight.

Mmm nin/drk...

Wow I think Tiamat was the last real event I did in XI. Good times good times. When did ultima stop being a major endgame player anyway in xi's world?

When everyone got banned more or less

Yeah, search out the Salvage Bans - those are dark days. It effectively killed Ultima.

Yeah it perma banned a lot of key players.. leaders and members alike.

Hmm why did Stelaereous get banned from the forum? Was it after my time?

Back