Chocobo Raising Notes

Sassafras

Calendar Girl
FC/Active Member
Chocobo Quest –

You must first quest the permission to breed your own chocobos.

First talk to Brutus (G-7) in Upper Jeuno Chocobo Stables to start the quest Chocobo on the Loose!, when prompted if you should release the chocobo, or keep it in the stables, pick to release it, prompting Brutus to send you out after it.

He will send you to La Theine Plateau, at E-5 there will be Chocobo Trails, press them for a short cutscene, then make your way back to Brutus. He will inform you that the VCS is having a meeting, and you're invited. Head to Southern San d'Oria and talk to Hantileon in the stables. Head back to Upper Jeuno once more to talk to Brutus, he will say return later (one vana'diel game day). He will then inform you that you're now allowed to raise chocobo, and give you an egg to start off with.

To start your egg, you must go to one of the NPCs situated in chocobo stables at your home nation. Good luck!

Creating a Care Plan
It is possible to create 4 consecutive care plans for your chocobo. First, register the type of care you wish your chocobo to receive for each plan. Next, decide the duration (up to 7 days) for each registered plan.
*Note that it is possible to make changes to your care plan at any time. In the case where you do not register a care plan, a 7-day plan of basic care will be implemented for you.
10dayplan.jpg

Attributes:
Physical
- Strength: Affects the chocobo’s running speed.
- Endurance: Affects chocobo riding duration.

Mental
- Discernment: Affects the chocobo’s potential to learn abilities.
- Receptivity: Affects the chocobo’s ability to communicate with fellow chocobos.

Other attributes
- Energy: The power the chocobo needs to remain active. Affects the success of care plans and the frequency of care options.
- Affection: The most important part of chocobo raising. Greatly affects the success of care plans.
- Satisfaction: Changes with feeding and affects energy recovery.

Attribute Levels:
Level 1 - "Poor"
Level 2 - "Substandard"
Level 3 - "A bit deficient"
Level 4 - "Average"
Level 5 - "Better than average"
Level 6 - "Impressive"
Level 7 - "Outstanding"
Level 8 - "First-class"

Personalities & Attributes:
Ill tempered --> most likely stat to raise firt: strength
Patient --> most likely stat to raise first: Endurance
Enigmatic --> most likely stat to raise first: Receptivity
Sensitive --> most likely stat to raise first: Discernment

Type of Care: Effect

Watch over the chocobo: Strengthens bonds of affection. Places very little stress on the chocobo.

Tell a story: Strengthens bonds of affection and trains mental faculties. Telling various stories may have a beneficial effect for the chocobo.
Scold the chocobo: Disciplines the chocobo. Slightly weakens bonds of affection.
Compete against others: Strengthens bonds of affection, but depletes stamina. Entertains a bored chocobo.

Go on a walk: Strengthens bonds of affection, but depletes stamina. The chocobo may meet someone on its travels!

plantype.jpg

Feeding:

Greens – Raise affection, and satisfy hunger
Sharug Greens
Azouph Greens
Gysahl Greens

Wildgrass – Medicinal
Gausebit Grass - Wounds
Tokopekko Wildgrass - Illness
Garidav Wildgrass - Stomachache

Carrots – High in nutrition and effect strength and discernment
Vomp Carrots - Physical
Zegham Carrots - Mental
San d’Orian Carrots

Worms – Multiple effects --- Warning: Worms have side effects

Cupid Worms – increase Affection
Gregarious Worms – increase Energy
Parasite Worms -

Potion – give when short on feed, appeases hunger

Chocolixir (Hi-Chocolixir) – restores full energy
Alchemy (81 - Adept); Crystal: Light
Ingredients: Mistletoe, Revival Tree Root, Gold Leaf, Royal Jelly, Distilled Water
Result: Chocolixir (HQ #1: Hi-Chocolixir)

Celerity Salad (Tornado Salad) –Cures most status abnormalities, restores some health.
Cooking (75 - Artisan); Crystal: Wind
Ingredients: Gausebit Grass, Blue Peas, Cupid Worm, La Theine Millet, La Theine Cabbage, King Truffle, Shall Shell, Vomp Carrot
Result: Celerity Salad (HQ: Tornado Salad)

Pastes- chick food
Herb Paste
Cooking (11 - Recruit); Crystal: Water
Ingredients: Tokopekko Wildgrass x2, La Theine Millet, Lizard Egg, Distilled Water
Result: Herb Paste x2 (HQ #1: x4; HQ #2: x6)
Worm Paste:
Cooking (2 - Amateur); Crystal: Water
Ingredients: Cupid Worm x2, La Theine Millet, Lizard Egg, Distilled Water
Result: Worm Paste x2
Vegetable Paste
Cooking (21 - Initiate); Crystal: Water
Ingredients: Gysahl Greens x2, La Theine Millet, Lizard Egg, Distilled Water
Result: Vegetable Paste x2
Carrot Paste
Cooking (31 - Novice); Crystal: Water
Ingredients: Vomp Carrot x2, La Theine Millet, Lizard Egg, Distilled Water
Result: Carrot Paste x2 (HQ #1: x4; HQ #2: x6; HQ #3: x8)

Chocobo Life Cycle

Your chocobo will live as long as your FFXI server does, but there is a point when there is nothing left to do but reap the fruits of your labor. Eventually it will be retired, and your chocobo will become a simple mount for you, however, nothing is yet known about that bit, so let's start at the beginning.

Chocobo Egg (~ 4 days)
You begin the raising process as a chocobo egg. How long this chocobo takes to hatch is currently unknown, but what we do know is that for the first day, your chocobo has no health bar, it is a simple chocobo egg.
You will get a status report after the first day is complete which will tell you that your chocobo has completed its first day of the raising process, and your chocobo will then acquire a health bar. It is unknown what this bar means at the moment, but I'm going to assume it is your chocobo's Energy.
At this point, the only active chocobo care you can give is "Watch", and the only passive care is basic care. I am not even sure that either at the moment affects your chocobo.

Infantabo (Day 4-19)
At this stage, your chocobo has hatched. You will need to select a name for it. You may watch your chocobo, and feed it basic foods such as pastes and Greens. At the very least, you will be able to do Basic Care on the chocobo. It is unknown what other types of care are available, though you will likely be able to read it stories and play music.
Your chocobo will need sleep, and you will be unable to administer active care while it is sleeping.
At this stage, your chocobo is absolutely adorable.
*"Choco-coma" - If your choco is so exhausted that it won't wake up from rest for whatever reason, set the next day of care as Basic Care (maybe even a few days).

**White Hanky to Dirty Hanky: Go rent a Chocobo & ride around until it dumps you off. NPC at stables seems really happy with this result. No idea what it means.

Adolescent Chocobo (Day 20-29)
Your chocobo has grown up into a child. It will probably no longer be effective to feed paste to your chocobo, though you may be able to go on walks and do more strenuous types of care with your chocobo.
Take care against Chocobos On the Loose! (Cheesy joke, but they really can run away on you.)

Adult Chocobo (Day 29- )
At this stage, you will be able to ride your chocobo. It takes about 1 month to get your chocobo to this stage.
If you are able to train your chocobo at this point, you will be able to do the most advanced care with your chocobo, and rake in a small profit.
Your chocobo should also be ready to breed with other chocobos.

**Love sick - seems there is no clear cut cure for this "illness"

Chocobo Abilities
There are several abilities to teach your chocobo using the "Tell your chocobo a Story" care option. Your chocobo can learn a maximum of 2 abilities. As of now, only one ability effect is known. These are learned from 5 chocobo stories you acquire from Bashraf (Happy), Zopago (Worrysome), Pulonono (Youthful), Hantilion (Impatient), and of course, Brutus (Curious).

Story of a Happy Chocobo - Compete against others: Win x3
Story of a Worrysome Chocobo (Zopago) - Taking a Walk meeting x3
Story of a Youthful Chocobo (Pulonono) - Taking a Walk meeting x3
Story of an Impatient Chocobo (Hantilion) - Taking a Walk meeting x3
Story of a Curious Chocobo (Brutus) - Taking a Walk meeting x3
Story of a Diligent Chocobo (lost Chocobo quest)

Gallop (Story of an Impatient Chocobo)
Canter (Story of a Curious Chocobo)
Burrow (Story of a Youthful Chocobo)
Bore (Story of a Worrysome Chocobo)
Auto-Regen (Story of a Happy Chocobo ) - Increases the Energy recovery rate of your chocobo. May also effect stamina during chocobo racing.

Honeymoon Plans
Your chocobo and its new spouse will need to go somewhere. There are several options that will effect the outcome of the "date" process.
Gourmet plan
This plan will increase the chocobos' strength, and will increase the chance of a male chick.
Sports plan
This plan will increase the chick's endurance, and increases the chance of a male chocobo's traits being inherited.
Hiking plan
This plan will increase the chocobos' Discernment, and will increase the chance of a female chick being born.
Jeuno Tour plan
This plan will increase the chick's reception, and increases the chance of a female chocobo's traits being inherited.

Chocobo Traits
There are several traits that chocobos may inherit from their parents, including coloration and other aesthetic traits (that will be added later). According to Finbarr, the child next to Brutus at the chocobo stables, there is more than one trait for keeping track of a chocobo's coloration; these traits follow a dominant/recessive genetic pattern (similar to simple eye coloration). For instance, if a blue chocobo were purebred with a yellow chocobo, all of the resulting chicks would be yellow. However, 50% of the grand-chicks when bred with a blue chocobo would also be blue, therefore Yellow is a dominant trait, while Blue is a recessive trait in chocobos.

DNA - Y/B/b/r/g

How long do I have to do this?
day 0 - turned in egg
day 4 - egg hatched; chick phase begins; learn sex
day 19 - teen phase begins; learn color
day 29 - adult phase begins; can retire, ride, and/or breed now.
day 43 - peak of abilities reached (doesn't seem to effect anything)
day 64 - "seems to be settling down, has developed a distinguished air."
day XX - retirement ??

Last edited:
Eggs hatch on day 4 if you watch over it at least once every "Choco-day."

Mine just became a teen today. Yellow but the tips of his feathers are white so i guess thats what hes gunna become in the end. I also got the a couple of new options one of em was a race around town. My choco won the race

About "Choco-Coma"

If your choco is so exhausted that it won't wake up from rest for whatever reason, set the next day of care as Basic Care (maybe even a few days).

Is "energy" a euphemism for the Choco's HP? Mine looks almost dead. Why is this made all confusing <.>;

-benny

Yup yup benners, you should give it a Chocolixir or a Celerity Salad, if your chocobo was nearly "dead" when you checked it. They restore Choco's Energy. >.>;;;

Two weeks benners? Geeezz, I thought Egy was a neglecter of chocos! :tounge-1:

Uh, yea... well >.>; I've never been good about that kinda stuff. I guess I'll go farm some royal jelly soon then.

-benny

Actually, all you have to do is feed it to full, set next day as rest. Feed to full again (so hopefully full @ rest). They recover energy overnight.

~Sass

New Story

I, like many of you I am sure, have been wondering how to get the different stories.

Today when I checked on my Chocobo they said she was bored and needed to compete against other chocobos. I have had her compete everyday since that option has been available; two times before this dialogue occurred. Fleur had won both races.

I took her to compete today and after she won again, I got the new story ^^.

I do not know if just competing 3 times triggered it, winning 3 times triggered it, or if the boredom sickness event triggered it. But, there ya go .. at least we know one waay to get a new story.

Attachments

• bored illness.jpg
    bored illness.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 58
  • happy choco story.jpg
    happy choco story.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there was a way of telling how I got the Youthful Story. I got that one very early in the choco chick stage, maybe day 5-7. Obviously never had the option to tell the story to my choco until he grew up.

~Pitlith

Each town NPC has a story they will give you to tell your Chocobo. Is Youthful not one of those?

Pit, what city? Do you remember what you did up to the point you got the story?

Story of a Youthful Chocobo is the one you get in Windy from the NPC with an infant chick that you run into on the short walks in Sarabuta.

Exactly Elvier. Mine is in Windy and i worked my baby choco hard with 2-3 walks per day a couple days since those were my only options.

~Pitlith

I got the youthful story the exact same way. Windy chocobo, lots of short walks in Sarutabaruta with my young chick. It took a lot more then 3 walks for me though.

My main worry is that I'm never going to get any stat above "Poor" because I was alternating music and walks around town. ;_; Day 22 and counting....

I haven't gotten anything above poor also. I have walked my choco pretty much every day, 1-2 times at least, and still nothing. I think it might be coming soon as far as the stats go.

~Pitlith

Back