Top Wii Games

Jotaru

shinobi-no-mono
FC/Active Member
Buying my GF a Wii today, and just wondering, whta are some top rated games that you guys and gals think she might like?

I'm already looking at buying the 'basics' (maybe for myself a bit too :eek: ) such as Super Paper Mario and Zelda: Twilight Princess, but wondering what else you guys would personally suggest. Online reviews only go so far, one site was touting Super Mario Bro's 2 remake as one of the best (which may be true, but um.. yea)

Didn't Smash bros just come out for wii? I've always liked that game. Dunno bout yer GF though. :tounge-3:
What kind of games is she into usually?

Mario party 8 is a really fun game with large groups of people, even better when you make it a drinking game.

I have Resident Evil wii, Mario Strikers Charged, Zelda, Tiger Woods 07, Madden 07 and 08, Wii Sports, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and wiiplay (cause of the free wiimote for cheaper than an actual wiimote.) and ive rented pretty much every game thats come out. Here are the Highlights.

My Favorite is defiantly Resident Evil, but im not sure thats a game to give your gf. Plus, its the same story as Resident Evil 4, but just changed controls for wii. Its not a bad thing since RE4 was FREAKING INCREDIBLE, but it loses a bit going about it for the second time around, although it does have the added PS2 bonus' that weren't there for gamecube version.

Mario Strikers was really fun.....for 10 minutes, then it got incredibly boring and repetitive, although the controls are easy to learn and it isn't complicated, making it a decent party game (if your party lasts 15 minutes). Was really disappointing because EVERYBODY heralded this game as the return of jesus in the form of a video game. and my only thought after playing it was "Meh, it was ok I guess" and the AI is Cheap instead of skilled in 1 player (ie. every shot that the computer takes WILL result in a goal no matter what in strikers cup)

Zelda is zelda.

Tiger Woods is surprisingly fun, and i'm a huge golf fan. the putting system is lacking in true form, and there is ways to get around the control scheme to cheat and hit it straight 400 yards every time, but if you use the controls LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, then its really deep and fun since your shot control is based on both pitch and yaw of the wiimote just like a real golf swing. Think of this game being -almost- as fun as actually playing golf, as well as much cheaper and not as cold in the winter.

Madden 07 was awesome and the control scheme was amazing. When my buddies come over this is all they want to play. Its super smooth control and really fun.

That being said, Madden 08 is PURE SHIT AWFUL THE WORST GAME EVER MADE I WANT TO THROW THIS GAME INTO THE RIVER. the graphics are worse than sega genesis, the controls SUCK ASS, and you cant even make the throw motion anymore on passes because it wont get picked up that you did anything. I would only buy this game again if I was going to use it to break in half and stab a tiburon worker in the jugular with.

Wii Sports = Smoothest game. Best Party Game. Worst game to play while drunk, wearing socks, and playing on a wood floor.

Wii Play = best value, since its 19.99 and wiimotes are 39.99 or something, but the game is really awful.

I rented Paper Mario, but it wasn't that great. it looks way more exciting than it actually is. I honestly think that it got such good press because it had "mario" attatched to it. If this was called "Super Paper Fred" nobody would have wasted their time.

SSX blur was fun, but also another rental type game, but the fun did last up till I had to return it. I wouldn't pay 39.99 for it tho.

I haven't played Metroid yet, I plan on renting it before I buy tho since Ive hated metroid since its original incarnation.

Mario party 8 was pure ass stink in a box. (with pure gold min-games like "Row yourself down a river" and "Punch a statue" you have to wonder where they went wrong!)

Sonic was ok, better than the score critics gave it, but I wouldn't buy it unless you were looking to get the best game to look at while tripping.

Super Monkey Ball was ok, but I would just get the gamecube versions since this isn't any different and the gamecube versions are cheaper.

------------Dont read anything above this line-----------

-Editor's Girlfriend Pick- Rayman Raving Rabbids. This is the game my GF loves to play whenever she comes over because it screams cuteness (nothing cuter than bunnies with rabies) there are a ridiculous amount of games on it that once you unlock you can go back to at any time for party purposes (ranging from shooting rabid rabbits with plungers like an FPS and you can Co-op it, to Racing pigs across a beach a-la mario cart w/ pigs) her favorite is a Taiko Drum Master knock off game thats hard to explain, I think its a somewhat boring mini-game unless you get to the really hard levels, but she loves it on easy mode, so w/e. (I like the shooting plungers game).

So conclusion = My pick would be resident wiivil, but since you are buying for your gf I would go with Rayman!

Oh and on another note, i'm sure people will say "ZOMG GO ZELDA" but say goodbye to your wii for the next 2 months while she monopolizes it since its a 1 player game. But ya, its a good game if watching other people play is what you like doing.

P.P.S - That clip in Lostsoul's sig is from Wii Rayman. (Those are the raving rabbids)

Edit: This one

sig.gif

PPPS. I just remembered that MLB Power Pros is coming out. Im gonna try to rent that ASAP and ill tell you how it is...Looks great so far, but there arent any reviews on it...seems like none of the review companies care. Would be nice to have a decent Baseball game tho since "The BIGS" was terrible.

Last edited:
Striker is fun, my buddy who lives on the floor above me has it. ALso, he has an IQ type game, its all Japanese (Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji) but still very fun. Great for drinking and with a group. Even not being able to read much outside of Hiragana I still took 2nd for the night.

SSB won't be out til early December.

Sadly the FF CC sequel on the Wii is still fucking "TBA" like every other game I actually want to play these days (aside from Eternal Sonata which has my hands twitching to buy a 360...).

No one mentioned Wario Ware yet though? Maybe I'm the only person who likes that game lol.

-benny

Mario party 8 was pure ass stink in a box. (with pure gold min-games like "Row yourself down a river" and "Punch a statue" you have to wonder where they went wrong!)
LOL

As far as ResEvil goes, she's into that kinda stuff. She's not GREAT at video games (It makes me cringe to watch her play, but she enjoys herself, so I kinda look away from the screen and just take delight in that she's having fun) so nothing like impossibly hard, but she liked Res Evil movies, and played it on PS2 I think, so that's good to go.

As far as the other suggestions, I'll definitely take them all into account. I like your writeup ash, thats why I came here, its annoying to just hear people say "OMG GET THIS NOW ITS THE BEST EVER OMG" without really explaining anything at all <_< Sooo yeah. Gogo Wii!

Edit:

Sadly the FF CC sequel on the Wii is still fucking "TBA" like every other game I actually want to play these days (aside from Eternal Sonata which has my hands twitching to buy a 360...).

^^;;; I'm getting that today as well, that's the one game that my GF has seen and been like OMFG DO WANT. And, I must say, I'm not opposed to the idea of playing that game either. I'll let you know how it goes ^^; Perhaps can get you a discount on it as well if you decide to buy it, keep me informed.

And now that I feel all super-informed working at Gamestop, I may be able to relay some ship dates to you, if there's particular games you're wondering about, unless you've already checked and they say TBD (which some still do, of course)

ya, if your GF likes RE, then definatly go with REWii its incredible and better than the game cube version with the new control scheme, as well as better than ps2 version. If you havent got any versions of RE4 then for sure go with RE Wii since it should be part of everyone's game collection, ITS THAT GOOD. Also, there is a gamestop exclusive bundlepack of RE games that has every game cube RE game that was released and its really cheap, cant remember, but you work at gamestop so you would probably know. so ya, get the bundlepack and RE Wii. Then get the chainsaw controller because its amazing and it lets people know that you are rich enough to spend your money on pointless peripherals. I really want to get it, but that would mean another month of eating cold spaghetti-o's

I've had to replace my xbox once so far. I used to always stand it up.
Talked to the techs at xbox and they said that was a very bad idea. Kinda dumb considering they sell stands and shit that are designed to make the xbox stand up.
Regardless, they said to just keep it laying flat and I shouldn't get the red rings of death anymore. lol

im not sure what red rings of death are, but that same problem happened to ps2 people (until PS2 reps decided to tell their customers never to stand it up (but then continued to sell verticle stands)) resulted in discs not being read properly after a while. This usually was because after a while, either the tray or the eye became unaligned. I fixed ps2s for a while to make money and I would say that 90% of the ps2s that I fixed were because of alignment problems. (which took all of 5 minutes to fix) the other 10% of the problems were because of a dirty eye (an even quicker q-tip with alcohol fix).

So, research the problem, but I can almost guarantee its related to alignment.

I never stood my PS2 up, nor will I stand up my 360 or my Wii.

Why even do it? Its topheavy that way, and just prone to falling down. In one night of playing Halo 3 with buddies I saw three 360's fall over. In my entire time playing game systems (been playing since NES) I've had... none fall, ever. Heh. Don't stand em up anyway!

I used to stand my ps2 up and ended up with disc read problems like Ash mentioned. It cleared up when I set it back horizontal, and I've kept it that way since. :)

However, the RRoD seems to be more of a heat and electronics issue than a drive issue. One of my coworkers has managed to avoid the problem; he has the Xbox 360 alone on its own shelf, on a stand, with an external fan blowing onto it. ^_^;; Another one had his replaced once and is having trouble getting it replaced a second time. Apparently he got a refurbished one back the first time, and his extended warranty has the original serial # registered. He's trying to work it out, but it's been a huge pain.

Funny T-shirt design related to RRoD:

aaba5c94b460.jpg

I should get that, that's my name and it'd scare all my friends into thinking I know someone important enough to make a shirt for me. After all, none of them will get the more 'obscure' reference -.-

After all, none of them will get the more 'obscure' reference -.- You know... unless they've owned a 360 and had it happen. :tounge-3:
Retard. I meant the night rider or whatever reference =p

Last edited:
Back