Problem Areas

yes, on like water animations for waves and whatnot i see the code!!!

-ara

Well at least they know there is a problem

:(
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news10006.shtml said:
<TABLE class=ta_info3 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=480 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=480>Mar. 16, 2007 01:00 [PDT] From: FINAL FANTASY XI</TD></TR><TR><TD width=480>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=480><TR><TD width=500>Connectivity Issue Update (Mar. 16)</B></TD></TR><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- * --><TABLE class=ta_info2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=565 border=0><!-- * --><TBODY><TR><TD>
infhr.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- ** --><TABLE class=ta_info3 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=480 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=500>Since Mar. 9, 2007, some players have experienced connectivity issues when attempting to log in to FINAL FANTASY XI or while traveling through various areas in FINAL FANTASY XI. We are happy to announce that the situation has improved over the past few days.

While our team of technicians have investigated and confirmed that our FINAL FANTASY XI servers are currently working properly and our service is not experiencing any technical difficulties at this time, we will continue to investigate the matter and work to ensure the best service possible.

If you are still having connectivity issues, try connecting to FINAL FANTASY XI again at another time or contact the Playonline Information Center.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I love their announcement... But... Doesn't this part...
SE said:
Since Mar. 9, 2007, some players have experienced connectivity issues when attempting to log in to FINAL FANTASY XI or while traveling through various areas in FINAL FANTASY XI. We are happy to announce that the situation has improved over the past few days.
...contradict this one?
SE said:
While our team of technicians have investigated and confirmed that our FINAL FANTASY XI servers are currently working properly and our service is not experiencing any technical difficulties at this time, we will continue to investigate the matter and work to ensure the best service possible.
I mean, they do know their servers are fucked up, and that it's their fault if some people disconnect in certain zone, but won't admit it. You (any compagny selling a service) can't say you know people are having issues while using your service, and say that it's not YOUR fault... Something's wrong here... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Don't forget that there is a network between your computer and SE's servers. There are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong that have nothing to do with either endpoint. If certain network providers filter certain ports or aren't up to spec with routing or name services or whatever, the problems may not be SE's fault.

I'm not saying that's necessarily what is happening here, just that it's not as straightforward as "people are having problems so it must be SE's fault."

Well, the thing is, SE claimed that a problem suddenly came up (after first saying there was no problem at all and after a big update), out of the blue sky, and that they were not responsible for it, at all. Few days later, the problem suddenly, out of the blue sky once again, vanished (after a maintenance).

Sure there may be something that came up that wasn't there fault, but when the problem is fixed after a maintenance, I call it BS.

When there has been an issue before, SE has stated they were having problems. Why would they hide that now.

As for your quotes, saying 'people have been having problems logging on' by no means is them taking any responsibility for it. I could say 'I understand my grandparents' power went out last night', that doesn't mean I had anything to do with it going off.

You find it funny it was magically fixed after an update. I find it funny that so far not a single person with Comcast as their ISP has come forward and said they had problems with logins or DCs.

When there has been an issue before, SE has stated they were having problems. Why would they hide that now.

As for your quotes, saying 'people have been having problems logging on' by no means is them taking any responsibility for it. I could say 'I understand my grandparents' power went out last night', that doesn't mean I had anything to do with it going off.

You find it funny it was magically fixed after an update. I find it funny that so far not a single person with Comcast as their ISP has come forward and said they had problems with logins or DCs.
I have a shitty wireless network, but ya.. no problems getting in/zoning with comcast. >_> lol

Probably because they have no clue about what the f-ck they do most of the time, and didn't want to admit it was their fault. Not to forget SE is the king of ninja update.
Eticket said:
Errr... Not really. SE has denied there has been any problem at first, although lots of people did spam SE phone, and GM to tell them they couldn't access certain zone. And what did they answer? To contact their ISP.

It would be like having a problem with your oven, so you call a technician to get it fixed, and the dude tell you to call the gas compagny (assuming the oven works with gas, don't know if you people use this in the USA).
Eticket said:
I find it funnier to see SE fixing something they supposedly weren't responsible for after an update. I'm not saying it was entirely their fault, but they DID have some sort of responsability in all this mess, and they didn't say anything about it, and claimed it was not their fault at all.

I didn't have any d/c issue either, so it obviously only effected some ISP US compagny. I'm a noob when it comes to PC, ISP and such, so I don't know what it'd mean.

All I see is people getting d/c after a maintenance, SE making update about things they fucked up (as always), people stop d/c'ing. Coincidence? I think not good sir.

If you don't know jack about how networks and ports work, you should just STFU.

If you don't know jack about how large data centers do load balancing or the hardware that does it, just STFU.

If you don't understand routiing tables and how large global WAN's work, again, STFU.

So many armchair experts. :arg:

(no offense personally....)

Eh, Idc, it's fine. SE has BS'd people so often, that it's more than probable that they did it once again, and won't admit it. My friend knows a LOT more about it than me, and thinks it had to come from them as well. If you think SE is responsible for nothing at all, good for you. FFXI SE is run by a bunch of retarded monkeys and have proved it many times. I don't believe in coincidence with them.

If you don't know jack about how networks and ports work, you should just STFU.

If you don't know jack about how large data centers do load balancing or the hardware that does it, just STFU.

If you don't understand routiing tables and how large global WAN's work, again, STFU.

So many armchair experts. :arg:

(no offense personally....)

<3

Eh, Idc, it's fine. SE has BS'd people so often, that it's more than probable that they did it once again, and won't admit it. My friend knows a LOT more about it than me, and thinks it had to come from them as well. If you think SE is responsible for nothing at all, good for you. FFXI SE is run by a bunch of retarded monkeys and have proved it many times. I don't believe in coincidence with them.

agree to disagree... but I can't help but laugh at that lol

Funny how some people reset their modems and they had no more issues >_>

Some played with their MAC IP (if that's what it is called) & no longer had issues.

How exactly is that SE's Fault?

I had no problems myself and i feel that a lot more people would of been effected if it was a screw up their end but we will never know so is there any point to continue?

Late to the party, but I had tons of R0 issues with Comcast.

I find it highly hard to believe that the issues were resolved at the same time across all of the ISPs having trouble, while still being on their end, and not SE and their datacenter.

Funny how some people reset their modems and they had no more issues >_>

Some played with their MAC IP (if that's what it is called) & no longer had issues.

How exactly is that SE's Fault?

I had no problems myself and i feel that a lot more people would of been effected if it was a screw up their end but we will never know so is there any point to continue?

MAC adresses are burned into your NIC. What people were doing was changing what MAC address the router reported to their ISP, in turn getting them a new IP.

This merely switched which areas gave them troubles, for most people (Myself among them).

This also does not clear up it being on SE's end.

The story their customer service gave is that they believed that the update being pushed out to so many people tripped a heavy traffic filter on the ISP level. Now, this doesn't make sense, as larger patches from games such as World of Warcraft have caused much higher traffic, without similar effects. This doesn't even go into things like XP SP1 and SP2.

It could very possibly be SE's datacenter had been trying to implement network changes to the QoS, etc, to prevent congestion from occurring like it did during the update, and ended up configuring something improperly on the routers, and caused these issues.

http://www.visualroute.com/

edit: Hell, the XP's tacert is just as fine too.

Its not soo hard to see where your data gets lost.

>.>

Tracert fails once it reaches a boarder router that blocks it from reaching the internal network. Tracerts to SE gave me 0% packet loss until reaching the datacenter.

Back