Parrying or Attn: Kalia and Archain

Ravel

Mayor of Vomp Hill
I'm thinking about leveling paladin to 75 for the parrying up on thief. I'm not keen to level ninja since it's expensive and my evasion is already maxed, so it would probably be difficult.

Please discuss the insanity of this (other opinions welcome).

Go to Yhoator Jungle with the following equipment:

Warrior Subjob
Earth Staff
NQ Darksteel Harness equipment
Jelly Ring
Tavnazian Tacos

Pull every Yhoator Mandragora you can find (you can probably get 10-12 at a time with ease), then engage target and let all of them beat on you. Make sure to get signet beforehand so you can use that hairpin thingy that gives regen, possibly use some garden bangles too, and use bloody bolts on nearby targets to recover HP, although it shouldn't be necessary with 30% damage reduction down on Lv. 45ish mobs with capped defense.

You can probably get up to about 140ish this way. After that go to Pugonorgo Isle and repeat the same thing on the 6 Black mandies that start the quest for the Attohwa Chasm map (unless you've already gotten the map). This one is even better though, because since they aggro upon popping it, I think it counts as body aggro, meaning you could bring a 75RDM with Phalanx II who could keep using it on you and he would never get hate. That could probably get you up to 150-155ish.

You can try the same thing on practically any fast attacking mob. For example, once you run out of mandies you can try Flying Mantas in Onzozo, then when you're 220+ you can do Pucks (black mandy) in Den of Rancor.

Eventually you're going to need some support. Phalanx II destroys every other form of support you can get here, but if you have even more friends you can also bring a BRD for double paeon or a WHM for Regen III.

Archain used to sit at garlaige gate 1 for parry/shield too with a big bat. He'd have whm sub and presidential hairpin so he could go to sleep

work on capping your magic skills gimpy

Divine Magic and Enfeebling Magic are capped...

Healing...well...you know. It's like parrying for WHM...

Go to Yhoator Jungle with the following equipment:

Phalanx II destroys every other form of support you can get here, but if you have even more friends you can also bring a BRD for double paeon or a WHM for Regen III.

Thanks for the tips, Kalia.

Sadly, with friends like Eticket, I've got backup that can throw an Angon at my parrying target...woo.

Ravel, enter beseiged, go to the astral candescence, target the Kraken general and cast cure 1 on her until beseiged ends. I did this and got up to 30 levels of healing per beseiged.

Ravel, enter beseiged, go to the astral candescence, target the Kraken general and cast cure 1 on her until beseiged ends. I did this and got up to 30 levels of healing per beseiged.

!

Thanks for the tips, Kalia.

Sadly, with friends like Eticket, I've got backup that can throw an Angon at my parrying target...woo.

That will make them get hate, ruining the whole plan :(

I'm at 269 w/o gear on my THF. I had PLD first, which got me to 225 cap, then just a lot of soloing and tanking stuff on my THF to get it where it is now.

Levelling Parry

I would recommend levelling PLD for increases to shield, parry, and healing! While it seems like this would take a long time, it is indirectly helping both your THF and WHM via the skillups you receive from regular levelling (and it's giving you another 75 job that a Galka just really shines at). Equipment and skill sharing between your THF and PLD would make this an awesome choice.

My parry is currently only like 228, most of it was done during the levelling of another job like NIN after THF was levelled. PLD will give you a perfect opportunity to remain as the primary target for VT and IT enemies all the way up to 75. Starting from 225, you can probably devise a way to cap it from there.

SAM, NIN, COR, and THF will have the same Parry cap. Working with any of those will allow a carryover after you've reached your 225 level.
I used to afk with a bunch of regen gear on in Citadel for a while in order to gain shield skillups. Garden Bangles, Presidential Hairpin, Snakeeye, /WHM, and the Orochi Nodowa would allow me to recover health lost while getting hit (up to +5/tic if everything was active). I'm finding that I can add ~ten skill levels at a pop if I devote a little time to it using what Mithrankittycat used to level on, the Yagudo MNKs in Oztroja's upper levels.

I've asked Kittyn how he was able to cap parry and he recommended upper level capping on Yvora. He was able to achieve 269 Parry on his NIN a while back and said those are the enemies that had allowed him to do it. I know I read a livejournal entry a short while ago about using the Pucks in DoR to increase; I think that's what Kalia was referring to (and it showed good results). I think it used aggro tanking in order to ensure that the hate never wavered. While I haven't spent any time lately towards capping Parry out, I'm probably going to use it as my justification for finally taking up SAM later on (I need to have a reason, right?)

There was an old way to cap out your healing, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work anymore. I tried it recently and I was either extremely unlucky or it had been altered.

skillz.JPG

I'd go with what Fodder mentioned during Besieged, I've heard that this is an extremely quick way to level healing.

Last edited:
All Ravel's RDM friends are too lazy to merit Phalanx II :eek:

Seriously, soon as I get my last level on BLU I'm down to merit for that, need it anyways.

Level 43 paladin. 44 levels of shield gained. 2 levels of parrying (in all fairness, it only uncapped at 39).

51 Paladin. Shield capped at 156, I think, up from 90 when I started. Parrying up 5 to 114. Hopefully this will be raised as I solo skill up great sword and spear (lolSpear).

Also tried the heal-the-general approach and have gained 12-15 levels per Besieged. Thanks for the tip. It's almost capped now. Maybe one or two more to go.

Has anyone tried with something like Protect to raise enhancing magic?

Back