New Notorious Monsters and Battlefields!(07/19/2006)

Aelfinn

Moose
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/675/detail.html
New Notorious Monsters and Battlefields!(07/19/2006)

<!-- TITLE AREA END --> <!-- TEXT AREA --> In the upcoming version update, new notorious monsters and battlefields will be introduced into the Treasures of Aht Urhgan areas.
Also, certain monsters will soon possess an accumulative resistance to magic.

New Notorious Monsters
Now that everyone seems to be used to the new areas and enemies of the Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion disc, a number of notorious monsters will be introduced in the next version update.

In addition, a new type of high notorious monster (HNM) will be added to the beastman strongholds.

Victory will not come easy when facing these new challenges!
675_2.jpg

New Battlefields
A number of new battlefields are scheduled for the Treasures of Aht Urhgan areas. You can attempt these battlefields by using Imperial Standing credits.

We have adjusted the system so that most players should be able to make an attempt once or twice a week with the Imperial Standing they earn, but players can enter the battlefield every day if they have enough credits. This should make the new battlefields more accessible than orb battles.

Accumulative Magic Resistance
Currently, a large number of players can team up to overpower the enemy in certain battles by hitting the enemy repeatedly with only elemental magic. This tactic has had an unbalancing effect on the game, and we decided a change was needed.

However, altering the effects of powerful magic spells would have a negative effect on black mages and other magic users. Rather than altering magic effects or strengthening monsters, we determined that the adjustment to solve this issue should be as small as possible in scope and affect other gameplay mechanics as little as possible.

Therefore, for the next update we have decided to implement an accumulative magic resistance effect for all monsters whose strength reads "impossible to gauge."

We have also made several other adjustments to minimize the effect of this change on black mages and other magic users. For example, a party fighting a notorious monster with one to two black mages will probably not notice the difference.

However, we have decided to give Bahamut in the quest "The Wyrmking Descends" and Diabolos in the quest "Waking Dreams" a stronger accumulative magic resistance than other notorious monsters.

-Types of Affected Magic Damage
When a notorious monster is repeatedly hit by the following types of magic, it will accumulatively build magic resistance:

Black magic (elemental), white magic (divine), ninjutsu, magical blood pact abilities, magical blue magic, magical weapon skills (e.g., Spirits Within and Red Lotus Blade), and certain job abilities (e.g., Chi Blast and Mijin Gakure)

-Resistance Fluctuation
When a monster with accumulative magic resistance is hit by a magic attack, the amount of damage it receives will decrease in accordance with that monster's resistance. At the same time, its resistance will increase.

The monster's resistance will increase in accordance with the amount of damage incurred, but each monster has a maximum resistance level.

In addition, the monster's resistance will decrease with time if it is not hit by any repeated magic attacks.
and we were just speculating over that hydra's .dat file

Edit:: btw, on the magic resist buildup... fuck.... lol

I'm all cool with the Hydra type enemy that they were talking about, but what the hell is up with the BLM nerf? I'm about to check the BLM boards and see what type of hell is gonna break loose, lol.

Which one is "The Wyrmking Descends"? Is that Bahamut #1 or #2? Can a melee strike actually connect with him?

Well... the magic resist, let's do the math here.....

While it helps us in some ways it's also a hinderance to the melee jobs and it also benefits the {Gilfinders}, since all they do is manaburn things to begin with.

It's a necessary evil to leverage things.... and I'm willing to bet, just a guess, how many complaints were made to SE about gilfinder BLM's just burning through NM's?

Sounds like regular EXP isn't nerfed since it's just "Impossible To Gauge" mobs.

It could be one hell of a horrible nerf to Blm but it really depends on what the 'capped' resistance is for mobs & also how much cooldown is needed for it to go back down.

For instance on Bahamut #2 the Blm's only usually get off what, 2 rounds of nukes on the Smns? So hopefully it wouldn't build up that fast... but who knows. On Bahamut himself well, that BC may be just a leeeeetle bit harder now =/

And also think about things like Fafnir and Tiamat, where basically 95% of the damage done to these mobs is through elemental magic.

Hopefully it's on the same scale as both of the NIN "adjustments" and nothing significant like what they did to THF, RNG, or BST in the past.

• That physical AoE/Ninjitsu adjustment that was done to NIN was something that was needed and was essentially minor. When Whirl of Rage only took one shadow, that was unbalanced. The playstyle of that job hasn't changed much now that moves like Battle Dance, Gland Slam, Whirl of Rage, and Sprout Smack now take more than one shadow. The change also slipped in a hidden adjustment to shadow behavior with SA+WS on that patch. Sneak Attack (and combined offhand) always used to break through shadows (as it does now) as did a WS when combined with SA. When they changed the shadow behavior, WS combined with SA could actually completely dead end into shadows (Example - SA+SB on a Garnet Quadav used to penetrate Shadows completely, now it can totally deadend for 0%TP if shadows catch both strikes).

Example of SA+Offhand penetrating Utsusemi - You'll even notice a remaining shadow taken down after I was struck, lol.

The reduction in the amount of enmity the NIN has with an enemy when a shadow was taken down was a minor change too, one that I almost would not have noticed unless I was told.

• The RNG change was signigicant. The addition of the "sweet spot" and the reduction in the effect of RACC and the overall damage reduction on HNMs was a large change. I realize just like everything else that they're not gimp by any means, it's just a large adjustment to make so late in the game.
  • The BST change was significant. The playstyle has changed a bunch on BST, but I honestly believe it was done indirectly as a result of a few MPK adjustments. I'm only hoping they do as Aelfinn/Ashmus stated and actually allow a BST to pick the TP move they want their pet to perform. I honestly don't think that'd be too overpowering at all, especially since BLU was released and does somewhat the same thing with designated spells they've recieved from the same enemies.
  • The THF change was significant. The playstyle on THF changed a bunch after the 180 degree sneak attack arc was reduced disallowing the use of Yokodama. I personally was only allowed a week to play with Yokodama before it was adjusted. Sneak Attack used to be able to be performed from the sides allowing a weird state where you could fulfill the requirements for both SA and TA at the same time while the active tank was tanking.

Anyone remember this?

yokodama.jpg

Huge changes like the "Post WS TP adjustment" were what I'd consider a game changing alteration. I used to be able to get back a 30%-40% TP return from DE if I was /NIN, I can only imagine how the DRG (Penta Thrust), DRK (Guillotine), and MNK (Asuran Fists) felt after getting that stripped down.

I just hope they do nothing with respect to magical resistances on a skillchain's magic burst. I'm not exactly sure what they are trying to get players to do on enemies like Bahamut though, especially if the current method is pushing close to the fight's time limit.

Last edited:
Honestly I do not think the Blm change is going to be TERRIBLE on everything, but it could make fights like Bahamut v. 2 next to impossible.

No offense to melees, but I don't know how the hell they would possibly fit into Bahamut v. 2. For better or for worse a Blm army has been the fastest damage route on pretty much any mob out there for a long time now. On Bahamut v. 2 it's a tight win even with a Blm army, if they are reducing that effectiveness in a fight without making melees more effective then I'm not sure what they expect people to do in these fights.

Uncapped Ouryu could also be significantly harder.

didnt someone from nakama mention they had another way to do ouryu that wasnt manaburning it??? but were not at liberty to discuss it for some absurd reason??

It's possible to do Ouryu without manaburn, although it is a bit more difficult, but I'm sure we could manage it.

Bahamut, however, I can not even begin to picture a strategy without manaburn. The best I could come up with is *maybe* having 4 Sams in to make Fragmentation teams for the Blm's to MB off of and have them rotate which team was up. Even that I am not sure of.

Aelfinn said:
Therefore, for the next update we have decided to implement an accumulative magic resistance effect for all monsters whose strength reads "impossible to gauge."

Oh, damn, there goes my Bubbly Bernie strategy. :mad:

Um.... we need to do Bahamut 2# be4 this crap. If thay change this we cant posibly kill it

Cujo said:
Holy shit that thing is huge. I wonder if it spike flails :eek:

due to its size, flail causes server to crash and 3days of maintenance, with random maint-day's for 3 weeks afterwards(aftershocks)

holy crap... hydra can almost eat vrtra <.<

Honestly I don't know what to say on BLM nerf. It can be good and bad.

The good - makes most things more challenging. The bad - makes most things more challenging.

Don't need a more challenging Bahamut #2.. Fafnir can still be done fine with 2 blms, can kill it with one good one that doesn't die(we fought with just benny as blm if i remember once). Melee doesn't do terrible dmg to him, I Jin him for 300ish lol when all hits land and keep hate with mostly DD gear (nokizaru shurikin+resentment cape as only +enmity aside from merits).

Personally, I hate the whole "zomg get 7235947353 blms and lets kill!!" idea, but with some things it's only necessary (like bahamut #2).

I notice it's not just BLMs they're doing this to, but many other jobs. Same nerf applies to divine magic, ninjutsu, chi blast, BPs, etc.(lol @ mijin gakure <.<) I think they want more balanced alliances for the big stuff.

Black magic (elemental), white magic (divine), ninjutsu, magical blood pact abilities, magical blue magic, magical weapon skills (e.g., Spirits Within and Red Lotus Blade), and certain job abilities (e.g., Chi Blast and Mijin Gakure)

The only thing that is going to change for SMN is tire II and tire IV spells whom sux ass. lvl 70 BP's ar not magic. /goodbye BLM /welcome SMN.

Jasmin said:

The only thing that is going to change for SMN is tire II and tire IV spells whom sux ass. lvl 70 BP's ar not magic. /goodbye BLM /welcome SMN.

I agree, summoner tier II/IV bps have always sucked ass, even when bursted. This could be a blow to Astral Flow, something which is of marginal use on most HNM. Flowing Wyrms for 25 dmg is already meh so nerfing it down to 10 dmg won't make much of a difference.

I don't see much point in nerfing elemental WS/Spirits. I'm not sure how this is an advantage as it's kinda hard to "spam" 300% tp Spirits. I'm more inclined to think there is a shared algorithm that was modified to nerf manaburning which effects all these others as a by product.

Back