New laptop suggestions

Lexa

Just call me Veronica Mars
Need new laptop for FFXI. Sick of having 4fps everywhere. Want 30fps plz. Not much money, so need as cheap as possible. Only needs for FFXI and maybe Word 2007. And solitaire. Maybe. Know very little about specs. Sadface!

Dell.com is shiny.

Suggestions?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4inch LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 MP
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
http://javascript<b></b>:to_page_mod(1, 16, _Action);256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
http://javascript<b></b>:to_page_mod(1, 19, _Action);56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Yes/no?

No, the video card is... um, discrete? Which the website tells me means it stands alone, and has those 256 MB of memory all to itself...?

Still selling a Gateway P-7811FX 17" laptop...

$550.00 USD

Processor: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
Storage: 200 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Drives: DVD±RW
Display: 17-inch TFT
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS (GDDR3 SDRAM - 512 MB)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Original box...barely used...you know you want it! :)

Still selling a Gateway P-7811FX 17" laptop...

$550.00 USD

Processor: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
Storage: 200 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Drives: DVD±RW
Display: 17-inch TFT
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS (GDDR3 SDRAM - 512 MB)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Original box...barely used...you know you want it! :)

Ekan used it though. So keep that in mind joff.

I barely touched this one...the one that I sold you to Alu, thats another story... =P

Oh and i'll throw in Microsoft Office 2007 for free as well... =P

Last edited:
Ekan are you that guy at the back of the store that slips boxes of shit into his white mini van and sells them from home?

Large Ford E-150 Cargo Van...i'm not a soccer mom... =)

Click the little 1 there lexa, it's bad juju. Find something else.

I have no clue what I'm looking for; I just know I shouldn't get integrated graphics, as that apparently makes FFXI go bonkers. Beyond that, clueless. All of Dell's laptops say the same thing about the RAM ("shared dual channel"), so I guess I can't get a Dell?

I looked at HP's website, but their graphics cards seem pretty bleh and mostly integrated.

I'm not familiar with any other brands, really, and am scared of getting some piece of crap laptop. I can't afford to spend more than $1000 or so. Any suggestions?

*fumes*

So I went to order the laptop that Fodder suggested.

I've only found three places I could order it from, none of which will accept my Norwegian credit card.

*fumes*

The one takes Paypal but will only ship to verified Paypal addresses. Which means they'd send it to Norway. Which, even if I were willing to wait to get it until I go home in May/June, means I'd have to pay some heavy customs fees.

I tried adding a US address to my Paypal, but they wont' let me, since I'm registered to Norway. When I tried to re-register from the US, Paypal wouldn't let me because... guess what? My credit card/bank account wasn't from the US. XD

Gonna try. :) Pretty much my last chance. XD

Back