Funny things you did when you were a noob to FFXI

Fodder

Ultima Legacy
Swallow your pride and share your embarrassing noobie moments! :halo:

NA release days 1-3. soloing lvl 1-14 THF kitteh. I ran circles around mobs thinking they had less chance of hitting me - my first party was like WTF ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?

There are more, but I would be laughed out of the LS so I won't share ;)

Kept trying attack a claimed mob.... Didnt know the combat or battle system at all.

I have video of Corvac, Garret (Hume) and some other friend when I was a level 7 WAR Mithra.... Corvac was a Dragoon, I think... and there was Snoww lol

I couldnt figure out why I couldnt provoke a claimed mob or why the attack button didnt work... it is funny as shit to look back on.

I did that when I was THF Fodder.

Also I subbed my 16 THF until I was 40 somethings RDM, then I finally went and leveled BLM for a proper sub.

I pulled the V-Emp my first time in a dunes pt. Don't think I made it 3 steps before I was on the ground, almost called help once it hit me so hard. Think that was my first experience with a NM, except for Spini Spipi in East Saratarbua. I also did the running around the mob thing. Also didn't know what <provoke> was til around lvl 13, but mainly cause I was soloing up to that point.

Joined a PT with Deva and Serl in Qufim.

Worst.Mistake.Ever.

I subbed Mage for Monk before it was the "In" thing to do (stopped after i got my Kazham Keys)....Maybe I was just ahead of my time.....:zap:

~Dar

~Joined a JP PT unknowlingly as lv. 4 War/nothing. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what all those squiggly lines were (JP text) and left without warning when I finally realized they were JP (to avoid possibly insulting anyone, which I imagine I did anyways >.>)

Hmmm... noob things... from last week? I have memories of running around the Dunes with Xiphos, Deva, Kenshin (not -th), and a bunch of others at level 8... getting whipped by bunnies.. exploring KRT, getting whipped by gobi... exploring Jugner... getting whipped by tigers... exploring La Theine, running up and petting Rams, getting whipped by Rams... (I still have nightmares about the shaking screen)... I guess my noobish thing is I've never quite learned that curiousity kills the Elvaan.

Lately, apparently, Tonberry kill the Elvaan too. ; ; Someday I'll get my coffer, you wretched, cursed little green men of angst!

Yeah, so my noobish moment... is my day-to-day struggle to stay above 0 hp yet explore until my heart's content.

An old friend and I started this game on the same day, but I was level 3 already and he got mad at me and told me to slow down or he'd never catch up. :halo:

Also, back in my day... Bastokians solo'ed in Palborough Mines till Lv12, then got into parties there till Lv16.

I remember once asking a Lv11 player how long it took him and where he exp'd to get that high of a level.

I remember not having Refresh when I turned Lv41rdm.... forgot.

I remember not using Convert til Lv41rdm... then dieing... to poison :eek:

i melee'd til i was 50rdm, and the most money i had at once was 20k til i was level 40

I was in a seven person alliance doing the Bastok dragon mission and on the way through the highlands to the dunes we killed a sheep(we're all lvl 5-7 mind you).

While cheering after victory the screen and ground started to shake as a ram decided he didnt like us killing his friends :( . After home pointing it took us an hour to run around the outter edge of the highlands in fear of what we thought was a massive HNM.

i asked an NPC some questions cuz i didnt know something and i got pissed and started to talk crap to them cuz they were ignoring me -.- then i went to read the instruction manual. which really helped me out haha

i did what fodder did....when i first started as war when i got the game i would run around circles cause my evasion was going up and thats how i thought you lvled it...and i would run away when a mob did a move to me and be horribly confused when it still hit me.....i only got blm to lvl 7 and then lvled whm to 30 respectably....didnt have protectra 2 until lvl 30 cause it was too expensive....got raise at lvl 27 cause it was too expensive...what else.... hmmm......first JP party i ever got had 1 other NA noob in it...in dunes...i had my subjob and he didnt so i was respectfully more experienced and knowledged...so i thought that whatever you typed was auto-matically translated instead of having to press TAB and stuff....first time i got invisible spell casted on me i whined and bitched for like 15 min. saying "ITS NOT WORKING!11ONE! I CAN STILL SEE MYSELF...DO IT AGAIN!!!" we were going to kill sandy dragon for the rank 3 mission and well got invisible casted on me and i was just etheral so i thought it didnt work.....can't think of anything else lol

When I was lv19, I still hadn't gotten the skull for subjob quest. I asked a random whm60+ for help, and he asked me if I had teleport-dem crystal. I said, "what's teleport crystal?" :halo: (I was taking the boat between Mhaura and Selbina EVERYDAY between lv15~20, and it was actally some of the more exciting moments I had in my early days.)

p.s. That whm is Reaven, but I double that he's still in the game... :blue-cry:

wow O_O.... lol.

Well let's see..
I read the instruction booklet and understood most of how everything worked.. lol.
But I DID run around in circles around the monster when i first started out.. Hey, the placebo effect.. eh?.. lol...
I subbed level 10 Warrior for my Red Mage until level 30... I pulled with my Red Mage and seldom rested between battles.. lol.
I had annoying /say and /emote macros.. I think we all did.
I was rank 2 until Level 50 with an underlevelled sub the entire way(well just about).
Could never afford spells with my red mage, didn't see my first 100,000G until BCNM40 with Aelfinn and a few other friends.
Oh God I could go on forever.

Well enough about me. My favorite noob moment from another person was when I was partying with my Samurai in the dunes, 9-11 party, and this Galka White Mage says "Why is my name always in the middle of the screen?"...

Well, I see the other nubbie things I did weren't so bad now lol. I guess I can own up to some more. :bfg:

I subbed my 11 rdm to my thf until I hit lvl 30 and flagged rng.

I subbed thf to my RNG until lvl 60.

I used iron arrows purchased from the gob NPC in LJ until lvl 54 because a. I was poor, b. I didn't think it mattered.

I always bought the best def armor I could vs. buying armor with stat modifiers until Katonfoma berated me for it (he actually brought about a change for the better in someone - go figure).

When I got around to leveling ninja to sub for rng, I cringed at the thought of taking war through the dunes to sub for that so I subbed thf instead until it was lvl 27. No one would party with me after that so I finally took war to 18.

I'm a man, manuals are useless to me, they're like maps. I didn't read it. As a result I didn't know some items stacked up until around lvl 15, prior to that, I discarded some 50 odd seemingly useless Beasman Seals that were taking up precious inventory space.

I don't know how or why, but suddenly at around level 60 I was blessed with, you guessed it, some semblance of a clue. Since then I think I have done well by myself and the other players I interact with. I am truly humbled by the fact that I regularly get tells asking to pull Dynamis for a variety of LSs, many rangers ask my opinion on a wide variety of ranger related things, people working on skilling alchemy ask for what guidance/insight I can impart, people from many LSs ask me for strategies in certain fights, my LS entrusts me with the responsibilities of being a sackholder - the list goes on. The experiences I've shared with many of the people on Valefor are a major reason I am where I am today. I shall continue to try to do my best by you.

Here's to you all. :goodboys:

I was bored ... decided to look around and find some interesting old topics. 2005 ... wow anyway --

My first party experience was with 3 other lvl 8ish NA players. None of us had ever been in a party before, and we were giddy with excitement to find the next "zone." None of us had a map of Gustaberg (or maybe we did and didn't know how to check it), so finding Konschtat Highlands made us feel like real adventurers.

So we're running through the mountains in this next zone and we run into a VT lizard. There had been 4 or 5 of us, and we all had swords! What could go wrong? Imagine 4 people running around the mob all at once. We thought we were winning - the lizard kept spinning, he was obviously confused. But then we started dropping ...

I eventually made the killing blow, which I believed happened because I attacked from behind. Most of us were near death, but for our combined effort we got: 40ish exp each and ... you guessed it - a nearby lizard linked. We all died.

The end :D

Last edited:
Back