FFXI Osaka Information [Updated 11/5]

I'm nerdy enough that Scholar looks like the best job EVAH. Though, the weather changing thing looks to me like NO GEO. FUCK.

On the other hand, the hopelessly optimistic of us would say that this makes it MORE likely we'd get GEO - having Scholar as a sub would let you manipulate the weather so you could have more control over what you do as GEO main.

Right? Right?

:eek:

/sigh I am no where near as optimistic.

The female scholar's wear schoolgirl skirts... dammit, this game gets me in too much trouble with young girls already>.<

I'm wondering what the Dancer and Scholar Rolls will be on COR. The last roll they gave COR left them completed in the 50's somewhere.

I guess these two jobs will give us the Level 61 and 64 Rolls?

there has never been a confirmation to the number of jobs. I would expect one more to be announced at fanfest

For anyone not following the other threads, here's some more translated material.

Varda's idea about the macro and job count, appear to be correct.

Elmer The Pointy said:
As if you hadn't had enough.... here's even more from a full transcript of the show. I'm not going to do the whole transcript this time, but I'm going to pull out the important points that either were missed entirely, or bear repeating for clarity. For the most part, these points are quotes or paraphrases of the transcript.

• The four races will all have different dances. Mithra have a light and easy dance, Galka dance slow, pounding with their feet, and all races have a unique finishing pose. Dances are meant to reflect the demeanor of the race.
  • Being Elvaan, the MC was reassured that Elvaan will not dance a bow-legged jig.
  • While the Hume was dancing, a small figure, far in the distance, was walking slowly towards the foreground. Everyone in the audience was whispering, "What is that?" Suddenly, the screen changes to reveal a never-before-seen character. The character activates an ability, revealing the graphic of the Grimoire and the crowd just loses it. With that, Scholar was announced. The MC is thankful, having thought they'd end up equipping Rock Salt to the Ranged Slot with the new job, (in reference to the Sumo rumor).
  • This second job changed again and again during development, and took long hours of discussion and debate to come to a solid decision to make it Scholar.
  • "Dance" can be used to heal party members. Drain Samba puts a special status effect on the monster you attack. When you strike the monster, it has the Additional Effect of Drain for the entire party. (This seems to imply the Dancer has to strike the monster each time, and that Endrain isn't given to all members. It sounds more like the Dancer gets Endrainga for themselves.)
  • "Step" is used to enfeeble enemies. Using "Step" grants the Dancer the bonus status of "Finishing Move." This status is then consumed by using "Flourish" to produce a variety of effects. For example, Quick Step gives the monster the effect of Evasion Down for a period of time. The Dancer receives "Finishing Move," which is then used in conjunction with "Flourish." A. Flourish (perhaps standing for Aggressive Flourish?) produces the effect of Provoke. They showed five effects on the screen out of an unknown total of Flourishes. These included a Weapon Skill strengthener, TP converter, and skillchain opener.
  • While you need to first strike the enemy and gather TP, using "Step" will vary from Weapon Skills and not require the consumption of a full 100 TP.
  • Being a Ranger, the MC expressed his intent to quit Ranger to play Dancer. He was delighted to then hear that Ranger is set to receive new abilities and changed his mind, proclaiming, "Ranger for life!"
  • Scholar uses White Magic, Black Magic, and a set of unique spells of its own, which are either White or Black. The Scholar is not a magician, but rather one who combines a number of unique abilities to master the usage of magic. It is also expected to be an ideal Support Job for White Mages and Black Mages.
  • White Grimoire and Black Grimoire work like a Samurai's Hasso and Seigan. They are mutually exclusive, but have no set time limits on their usage.
  • The White Grimoire was said to affect White Magic by shortening casting time, lowering MP cost, and boosting the skills for Healing, Divine, and Enhancing Magic. There are also four new abilities available exclusively during the usage of White Grimoire. Conversely, Black Magic receive a heightened MP cost and increased casting times.
  • At this point, the main screen displayed a Scholar casting Stoneskin, which finished when the casting gauge had only reached 40%. The MC was stunned. However, the staff warned him that this speed is not a given, but can be attained through the usage of special abilities available while White Grimoire is active.
  • If a White Mage subs Black Mage, they gain very little in the ways of Black Magic skills, and thus see limited results from casting those spells. However, Scholar allows one to boost those skills, and as a subjob, White Mage could see better results from Drain and Aspir, or perhaps have an easier time sticking easily resisted spells, such as Paralyze.
  • Scholars will have an ability called "Store Recast" that lets them build up uses of an ability. For example, usually an ability with a 4 minute recast can only be used once every 4 minutes. However, a Scholar can choose to instead store these uses to a maximum of 3 consecutive recasts. Still, you must wait 4 minutes times 3 uses to do this. (Before, it sounded like it was unique to Scholar's abilities. Now the actual transcript makes it seem as if its a natural ability usable on anything. I would assume if that's the case, then it would be level 37+ and unique to only main job Scholars)
  • Scholar will have spells unique to itself from both White and Black schools of magic. An AoE Gravity spell was cast on multiple beetles, to the delight of the audience. In addition, it was explained that Scholar could alter the weather for a target party member through magic, as well as cast a powerful DoT spell.
  • A new macro system will be put in place, with 4,000 total entries. These will be divided into 20 books, one for each job, that can be named by the player. Each book contains the original set of 200 buttons. There was no mention of increasing number of lines per entry.
  • When explaining the macro system, one of the reasons for its inception was "the addition of 2 new jobs." Also, they said, "with the addition of the new jobs, we're brought to 20 jobs, one for each book." This most likely means Dancer and Scholar are it for this expansion.
newmacro.jpg

• Gobbie Bag will be expanded for 60 to 70 slots. They hoped to add another "Mog Safe" type storage unit, but memory restrictions prevent it for the time being.
  • With that segue, they displayed a screen of multiple players visiting someone's Mog House. Originally, they planned for the Mog House to have minimal uses, but recently have been considering improving upon the concept. You will now be able to invite friends in, and other possibilities involving expansion are under discussion.
  • Wings of the Goddess is about exploring the past, a glimpse of which is caught in the original opening movie. Cavernous Maws will take you there at no cost. The intent is to make freely explorable content that can be enjoyed at one's leisure.
  • The Auction House, along with many shops will not be available. This is explained because of the shortage of supplies during wartime. Rental Houses will still be available to facilitate Job Changing. Items can also be sent freely to the past and present, and GMs will be able to travel back and forth as well.
  • Gil will still be used in the past, despite it not being officially adopted as a universal currency at the time. It was said that it was already in wise use across the various nations.
Everything about Campaign has been explained to death, nothing really new about it in the transcript.

They are planning a number of new events. They are vague but one we know about is "Crystal War Revisited." Rewards are given based on most successful country and server. These include the sale of special goods in one's city or the addition of cross-nation tele-points to one's server. Also, the Christmas Tree battle event may make a reappearance near the end of the year. They also hinted at a "Lottery," where adventurers participate by throwing in gil, and the lucky winners can receive some highly sought-after items, like Relic Armor or a Ridill.

More junk you already saw but is explained better

• A Thief has the chance to steal one of the dice from the Moblin in "Pulling the Strings." The chance of successfully stealing this is based on luck. If you pull it off, the Moblin can only roll 1-6.
  • When there are multiple instances of Treasure Hunter in a party, the strongest effect is used. Treasure Hunter goes into effect the moment the Thief actively puts their self on the target's hate list. For the most part, once the Thief attacks a monster, they remember the effect of Treasure Hunter. If a Thief dies, they do not have to be Raised to strike the monster once again. However, if you lose possession of the monster and they regenerate back to full health, this information is lost.

Source: http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25584

and now I can go broke playing the lotto in my fantasy world too. lol

nice to see them clarify TH a bit

In regard to the TH statement, I wonder if that means it's best to engage in full TH gear, and after that initial hit, TH4 remains in effect even if changing gloves and daggers for the rest of the fight.

That's exactly what I thought too when I read their statement. That would be really nice, but it's damn hard to verify if it's true or not...

-benny

It would also be nice if they would clarify how TH functions in a multi-party fight. Knowing that the highest TH in the party is applied is a nice bit of info to have, but it doesn't really explain how it works in an alliance or Dynamis.

Also, it says the TH info is retained even if the THF is killed. But what about if they're removed from the party? Is this justification to just swap in a THF for a WS, and then dump him on the sidelines for the rest of the fight? :hmm:

Also, it says the TH info is retained even if the THF is killed. But what about if they're removed from the party? Is this justification to just swap in a THF for a WS, and then dump him on the sidelines for the rest of the fight? :hmm:

AFAIK, if you swap a character in, do some damage, and then swap them out and the alliance dies or everyone currently in the alliance loses hate, it'll go after those who aren't in the alliance. So I'm assuming that even non-party/ally members are retained on the hate list and their effects stay in effect.

Treasure Hunter goes into effect the moment the Thief actively puts their self on the target's hate list.

With that, I'd say yes, swap the THF in, poke the mob in the butt, and that activates it for the monster.

The thing is, Square stated that once the THF generates enmity, TH goes into effect for the party, which sort of confirms what I've always believed. I've considered TH as a sort of invisible party buff. Once the THF strikes the mob, as long as anyone in his or her party deals the final blow to the mob, they benefit from the THF's TH. However, in a Dynamis situation, the THF's TH is rendered useless if another party actually defeats the mob. It would be like trying to cast Barfira on an entire alliance.

Ever notice how great our drops are in DX when we have 1 THF in each party? If TH doesn't stack, then it must be because no matter what, a party with the TH "buff" is getting the killing shot.

Well, they may be changing to that, and it makes sense, but I remember too many cases of TH stacking elsewhere. Was never quite sure of it's affects in alliances or battlefields, or whatever, but in individual parties I've seen drop rates drastically altered depending upon how many thieves were in a party.

Only two I remember off hand were farming RSE keys for some friends ages ago when I still had noob friends and spending over an hour unsuccessfully till joning with someone else who thought to drag a thf friend with them, and we finally got one, then one of my own thf friends showed up and they started dropping like candy. Every three kills or so had a key drop while we had two thf in the party, and it went back to a more sedate pace once one of them left. I also remember a similar occurance farming HQ antlion jaws for Rostrum Pumps. Once a second thf arrived it seemed all the antlion jaws dropping were suddely HQ instead of normal qualty. Led me to wonder if TH1 mainly affect qauntity and TH2 had the chance to upgrade it in terms of quality, cause it seemd to be upgrading drops rather than providing more of anything.

I kinda have to agree with mane on this and call BS what SE is saying. Two different times really stand out in my mind.

One is swift belt. I went something like 1/15 before I got my belt. I was like 0/12 when my LS started doing swift belt runs. Our first few runs were netting almost no swift belts. Once we had like 4-5 thfs the drop rates were like 8-9/10 a run.

Other instance I remeber is LL. Yelsaewnor is something like 0/60 on bounding boots. I went like 1/45 and I was 45+ thf for all of mine that I did mostly solo. Then one day we decided to get some boots for some LS members. We had like 7 people and if you added all the Th we had it was something like TH12. And the boots were droping like candy.

That can also have more to do with the number in the party. I remember reading before about how more people translated to more chances for drops.

Maybe it was placebo, but I used to hunt LL in a party with my wife or her mule and the boots always seemed to drop more often that way. TH wasn't a factor as the mule was like a level 10 monk.

Back