FFXI - August Update Information - 8/14/07

Varda

Clothcraft Cat
PlayOnline said:

Battle System Adjustments (08/14/2007)
<!-- TEXT AREA -->

The August version update will bring revisions to the use of two-handed weapons, as well as a number of modifications to several jobs.

In this edition of Topics, we would like to elaborate on the changes that will be made to the two-handed weapon system. Job changes will be described in length in a future Topics article.

Two-handed weapons

Up until now, there have been instances in which the attack frequency and speed generated by dual wielding would greatly surpass those of two-handed weapons. We have since examined this issue from every conceivable angle, and as a result have decided to reconsider the frequency and delay calculation methods for two-handed weapons.

This month's version update will see the introduction of a new type of gear called "grips," which players can equip in their offhand weapon slot when using a two-handed weapon. We are also planning to apply changes to associated weapon skills as well.

Attacking with two-handed weapons

The new modifications will be set up so that a character's attribute scores will enhance attack benefits to a greater extent when wielding a two-handed weapon than when using a single-handed weapon. Further, when attacking high-level opponents or enemies with high defense, two-handed weapons will deal more damage than they have in the past.

A word on grips

While not designed to bring about radical improvements, grips are a new lineup of items which can be used in tandem with two-handed weapons as a means of wielding them more effectively. They accomplish this by enhancing a weapon's benefits while compensating for shortcomings. Grips will not be limited to offensive weapons, as some will be tailored to mages and their indispensable staves.

Different grips will allow players to adapt to specific situations depending on the type of two-handed weapon they are using, as well as the type of enemy they are fighting. Players should be advised, however, that changing grips mid-combat will result in a loss of TP. Therefore, no grip's benefits will be restricted to the execution of weapon skills.

2188_6.jpg

Rethinking weapon skills

The majority of two-handed weapon skills already stand to see a vast improvement based on the changes described above. However, we will also be retooling the characteristics of several particular weapon skills in order to enhance their usability.
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/2188/detail.html

Looks pretty sweet! =^.^=

oh SNAP! Looks like i'll have to dump my h2h merits and put great axe at 4! I love to merit pt with a GA, maybe those items will afford the opportunity to do so.

I'm {/psych}ed about the mage grips. We've needed something other than just the been-using-them-since-51 elemental staves, and this could be a nice way to customize.

My only concern is the inventory space requirements. Mages aren't bothered by losing TP, so there's going to be a temptation to switch grips frequently, depending on their various stats.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TSUKIKAGE, UNITE, FOR OUR STEEL SHALL STRIKE THY FOE WITH FEROCITY NOT KNOWN BEFORE

Bump, because I postwhored and bumped another thread higher than this, but this thread delivers the goods.

good thing swapping armor doesn't lose TP because I need to go change my shorts

I bet the best grip is attack+5 acc+5 eva-5 def-5.

It will drop from Vrtra at the same rate D Ring drops from KB.

Hydra Grip, Occasionally Attacks 2-3 Times.

Drop rate comparable to Ridill.

Eat your heart out, Fafcampers!

I bet the best grip is attack+5 acc+5 eva-5 def-5.

It will drop from Vrtra at the same rate D Ring drops from KB.

With SE's reputation of making something apple pie sweet into Taco Bell Mild Taco sauce, I think this is bound to happen.

WAR/SAM with bravura, low delay grip, and good haste gear....yum
even better, DRK/SAM with apocolypse, full homam, low delay grip. TRUE scythe hundred fists.

SAM/RNG with full haste gear, haste, 2x march, low delay grip, Soboro Sukehiro, and Relic Bow.

Gogo Redd.

SAM/RNG with full haste gear, haste, 2x march, low delay grip, Soboro Sukehiro, and Relic Bow.

Gogo Redd.

I can see it now, instead of hearing:

"Whiffffff... ... Whifffff... ... Whifffff..."

we'll hear

"Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff.."

Maybe if we throw Soul Voice in the mix he'll take off like a helicopter.

I actually laughed out loud at fodder's comment. TIME FOR LOLLING.

Attachments

• jesuslambge4.jpg
    jesuslambge4.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 17
It's funny reading shit on BG and then seeing update notes like this...

in that Bercus interview page, weren't most of the people crying about wanting 2h weapon changes or something? lol

God this is hot. Though, just one more example of a change that's been put off for far to long.

I can see it now, instead of hearing:

"Whiffffff... ... Whifffff... ... Whifffff..."

we'll hear

"Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff..Whiff.."

Maybe if we throw Soul Voice in the mix he'll take off like a helicopter.

I lol'd too.

BLM with gear, echos, cookies, Imp. Silver Pieces, and linkpearl = 56/60 already. And I don't even have good dark magic gear, or half the obis, or AF2 pants. In other words I hope like hell there's only one grip needed for BLMs^^;.

-benny

Back