(Spoiler DRK 30-50) The story in the EN and JP

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Hi again~

This topic has come up quiet a lot recently in other posts. That the DRK questline's 30-50 quests are entirely different in the English compared to the Japanese.
And I often explained it in the comments as best I could. But was told I should make this into it's own post, so here we are. Hope you like reading.

Someone else made this post 6 years ago, which has some good stuff as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's get straight into it.

First of all, Fray's memory issues.
This is fully gone from the EN, so can't even compare the lines.
But basically, right from the get-go, Fray displays issues with their memory. "I think I'm called Fray." "According to my memory, this is what Dark Knight's are supposed to be." like that.
Obviously this is a build-up to when Fray finally explains what had happened when we found his dead body. He reveals this at the end lvl 50 quest.
So, after Fray died, some lingering Darkness remained on his body and when you approached him, the crystal activated, stole some of your aether, along with some of your darkness in your heart and put it inside Fray's body:
"Back then... when you first touched the soul crystal, the lingering "Darkness" within the *real* Fray was unleashed. The desperate thirst for life he felt in his final moments... that is what drained your aether.

But it wasn't just your aether that was absorbed. Triggered by that power of Darkness, your own negative emotions— ...in other words, *I*—came to dwell within this body."

That's why JP Fray was confused at first, because their memories got combined with Fray's, that's how they were still able to teach you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second, the Voice.
If you recall, when you start the questline, and in later quests when you do a communion, you hear this Voice. Now, this voice is different for JP and EN, and I'll just show you comparisons:

First cutscene, EN:
...Is this it? Is this all that awaits?
No... No more. Enough...
Open your eyes. Look. Do you see now? Do you see?

JP:
It hurts.. It hurts...
No.. That's enough..
Please stop... you'll break if you keep going like that...
Hey, can you hear me?
Why... Why won't you look at me?

Cutscene in Thanalan, EN:
One foot...in front of the other...over and over again...
To the ends of the world...and back again...
And if time has no end...still forward and onward...over and over again...

JP:
It hurts.. It hurts...
It's hopeless, everything..
How long do I have to fight before I can see hope...?
Why do I keep standing up? What am I fighting for?
It hurts, it hurts, I can't breath.. Please, someone...

Next cutscene, EN:
On a throne of bone she/he waits...
Serve... Save... Slave... Slay...
They come to entreat her/his judgment...
Serve... Save... Slave... Slay...
One by one, in solemn procession...

JP:

Ah... I wonder how many lives were entrusted to these hands..
Save... Protect... Defeat... Kill...
The weight of life is equally lost and only the glory of success or condemnation of failure awaits the "hero"...
Today once again, I will Save... Protect... Defeat... Kill...
Then who will protect someone like me...?

I assume you see the difference. The EN had a different take on who the Voice is. As in, their "personality".
Throughout the quests, Fray is very very angry in the EN.
"Or we could beat every last one of them to within an ilm of their lives and rescue the girl. You'd like that, wouldn't you?"
Yeah, they do not say anything remotely close to this in JP.

So who are they exactly?
In EN, Fray is the embodiment of anger, the WoL's anger, towards being used as a hero. They want to break free from that. And even want to take the reins, that's why the fight you in the lvl 50 quest.
In JP, Fray is the WoL's weakness, you could say, the WoL that's afraid, the WoL that does not want to be hurt, the WoL that wants to be protected. That they want the WoL to start caring more about themselves than others.
Fray explains that every Dark Knight hears a different voice. A voice they must find and protect at all costs. It is different for every one. For the WoL, that is their inner voice, the timid, weak WoL.
"Somewhere in the world, there is a weak person you must protect."
What Fray wants is for the WoL to finally listen to that voice again. To at least hear that voice again.
Yes, again. So throughout the quests, in Thanalan and Moraby Docks, Fray tells stories of someone they adventured with, this is in both version, albeit the EN is very very limited.
Can't properly compare the 2 because the EN mostly just skips over it, so here the JP from the The Voice in the Abyss quest:
"Actually, I once traveled with someone like you.
It was a journey where I stepped out into the wide world without a destination, and everything I seemed to shake my heart...
But... yes, it was in this very place that she defeated a formidable threat and became a hero.
...Being a hero isn't a good thing. You get tossed around by all sorts of circumstances, accumulating wounds, and you become so blind to your own problems that you lose sight of them...
In the meantime, she drifted away from me, and eventually, my voice couldn't reach them anymore."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The theme of shield:
So, this is also something the EN mostly glosses over, the fact that Dark Knight's don't use a shield.
"The law of the land? The authority of a name? These are tools cowards use to escape harm. We have no need of shields figurative or literal."

In the JP:
"To become a Dark Knight, neither noble title nor lineage is required. We serve no master; we wield our blades to protect the weak, guided solely by our own convictions...

That is why a Dark Knight bears no shield. For a knight's shield typically bears a coat of arms—a symbol of authority. Instead, we wield only a two-handed sword, making of our own bodies a shield for the weak."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is "Fray" in such a hurry?
This is something that's also not really mentioned in the EN.
But he explains it in JP:
"...But once the stolen aether runs out, I’ll no longer be able to move this body, and I will vanish. Or perhaps I’ll simply be cast back into the darkness of your heart... Before that happens, there was something I wanted you to know. I wanted you to choose me above anyone else. And yet, these guys... everyone... they keep getting in the way...!"

This leads into the last point:
Why was the WoL summoned to the Whitebrim outpost, at the LvL 50 quest.
So in the EN: "Certain...allegations have been made, sir. It would seem that she was observed conversing with...with a corpse in the Brume"
So in JP that's not there at all. So, you just got done completing a quest for a knight, when another knight showed up to report to his superior that Whitebrim was under attack. You just happened to be there with the Knight. So you return to the camp together and see Fray just after they defeated a bunch of Knights. Why did Fray do it? Because throughout the questline, your alone time with them kept being interrupted by a bunch of people asking for your help, because you're a hero.
Fray decided to get rid of the people who keep taking you away from them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should cover most of it. Hope you enjoyed it.
I was also asked that I should cover other quests in their own separate posts. I'll see what I can do. Not sure which to pick for the next one.

submitted by /u/Oneilll
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...
 
Back
Top