(Personal example is [Spoiler: 3.4]) For those who were spoiled on the story, how did you react when you reached the part you were spoiled on?

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
My personal example is that I knew Minfillia would be the first Scion to go to the First and that we would never meet her again, but I thought that would be after Stormblood when the Crystal Exarch started kidnapping people. I believe the reason why is I saw a picture of the cutscene after beating Shinryu and I think I mistook either Lyse or the OP's WoL as Minfillia.

When I realized that Minfillia would leave before Stormblood, I was heartbroken. I knew she would leave us eventually, but I never thought it would be so soon. I thought we could have one final adventure, a swan song to her story before she bows out. When everyone started yelling at Urianger and pleading with Minfillia to return with them, I felt the same way too. After the cutscene, I spent a few minutes just sitting there crying and wishing that my delusions were real, that we could spend just a little bit more time with her, that it didn't have to end so soon.

I think a part of why it hurt so much was because I haven't lost anyone close to me yet. Losing someone so close to me a lot sooner than expected, even if they were fictional, really hurt and likely fuelled my fear of the day when I finally lose someone close to real life, which then funelled back into my feelings while playing the game, making a sort of feedback loop of grief and sadness.

Looking back on it now, I'm actually kind of glad I got spoiled, and that I saw that cutscene. That mixture of accepting her loss but misunderstanding and miscalculating how much time you have left with her made the scene hit way harder than it normally would have. By that point in the game, while I liked the story and the characters, I was mostly cruising through it. When a character died, I did feel sad and I did grieve, but I mostly felt sadness from an outside point of view. I felt sad for and empathized with the characters in the story, but while it did impact me, I didn't feel as impacted as the characters. Minfillia's death was the first time I really felt what everyone else was feeling rather than having my own feelings simply be similar to everyone else's. If I didn't have future knowledge, I really don't think it would have had the same impact on me, so in a way, I'm actually glad I got spoiled.

TLDR: Being spoiled on Minfillia's death but not knowing when that would happen and accidentally gaslighting myself into thinking she would be with us in Stormblood made the moment of her actual departure made the moment hit so much harder, it genuinely made me think that what I felt in that moment would be close to what I would feel when I finally experience losing a close family member.

submitted by /u/Bloodgulch-Idiot
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...
 
Back
Top