New player and my experience.
Hey! Like the title above says I’m new. Been playing around 1.5-2 weeks now and wanted to ramble into the void. Figure Reddit is a decent place for that.
I started this game by making a paladin, the typical paladin trope being one I quite enjoy. Very early into my playtime I was approached by a player (now my fc leader) they offered some advice, most of it probably pretty standard but I was going into this blind. Things like avoid side quests if not blue, msq is a big priority, the game opens up and is generally better post arr, duty support can make for good practice runs. Etc.
Actually to comment on the msq briefly, I know most players say arr is a slog. I also have heard it used to be much worse, but other than a very small portion (the lead up to titan) I found it very enjoyable. I even noticed a certain necklace appearing on a character. Imagine my surprise when that came up later and wasn’t just an animation error like I initially thought.
I did unfortunately take away a bad lesson (no fault of the player, I did it to myself) and that was with duty support. I was worried about wasting people’s time, and making a fool of myself- so rather than tank for dungeons I relied on duty support and around level 50 or so I hit a roadblock requiring me to group up with players. Still feeling nervous I decided there’s clearly only one solution. I began leveling summoner. Haha I wouldn’t be afraid to tank if I wasn’t tanking. That was the logic
This did mean I was back to square one with my level. No worries though I could do roulettes, remaining blue quests, dungeon spam, and finish my hunting log for xp. In no time I was back to level 50.
Some of the blue quests encountered were that of Hildibrand and arr relic. Hildibrand is amazing and was just a delight the entire time. Caught myself smiling and chuckling the entire time. The relic was a long and arduous journey but because I was determined to get it for my summoner, I learned about party finder. Again, this community showed how nice it is, any time I needed something done I’d just use pf and mention I was new- usually the party would fill up with people eager to assist.
Over time I got players giving me various bits of advice; xp from food, chocobo companion, retainers. The more I learned the more I knew how little I actually knew about this game, and I’m sure thats still the case. This is a massive, complex, and beautiful world. One I’m excited to continue exploring.
Eventually I finished Arr and decided to start leveling a gatherer, I picked up miner and decided (in my infinite wisdom) to level it in arguably the worst possible way. Only doing my job quest, and collecting everything in the collection log for miner. But that alone wasn’t enough, no.. I decided to collect 100x of anything that wasn’t a hidden item, or shards. I decided to exclude the quest items from the 100x so occasionally I’d have to grab closer to 110-120 items. 16 hours and 6,592 items later.. I hit level 50. No leves, no gc. Just a passion for hitting rocks. I yearn for the mines.
Now I am ready to enter heavensward. There is so much I left out in my ramble, but the takeaway is this game is just wonderful. If you happen to be on Crystal - Mateus feel free to give me a shout and say hi.
\- Ovan Tasogare
submitted by /u/NaturalCultural7891
[link] [comments]
Continue reading...
Hey! Like the title above says I’m new. Been playing around 1.5-2 weeks now and wanted to ramble into the void. Figure Reddit is a decent place for that.
I started this game by making a paladin, the typical paladin trope being one I quite enjoy. Very early into my playtime I was approached by a player (now my fc leader) they offered some advice, most of it probably pretty standard but I was going into this blind. Things like avoid side quests if not blue, msq is a big priority, the game opens up and is generally better post arr, duty support can make for good practice runs. Etc.
Actually to comment on the msq briefly, I know most players say arr is a slog. I also have heard it used to be much worse, but other than a very small portion (the lead up to titan) I found it very enjoyable. I even noticed a certain necklace appearing on a character. Imagine my surprise when that came up later and wasn’t just an animation error like I initially thought.
I did unfortunately take away a bad lesson (no fault of the player, I did it to myself) and that was with duty support. I was worried about wasting people’s time, and making a fool of myself- so rather than tank for dungeons I relied on duty support and around level 50 or so I hit a roadblock requiring me to group up with players. Still feeling nervous I decided there’s clearly only one solution. I began leveling summoner. Haha I wouldn’t be afraid to tank if I wasn’t tanking. That was the logic
This did mean I was back to square one with my level. No worries though I could do roulettes, remaining blue quests, dungeon spam, and finish my hunting log for xp. In no time I was back to level 50.
Some of the blue quests encountered were that of Hildibrand and arr relic. Hildibrand is amazing and was just a delight the entire time. Caught myself smiling and chuckling the entire time. The relic was a long and arduous journey but because I was determined to get it for my summoner, I learned about party finder. Again, this community showed how nice it is, any time I needed something done I’d just use pf and mention I was new- usually the party would fill up with people eager to assist.
Over time I got players giving me various bits of advice; xp from food, chocobo companion, retainers. The more I learned the more I knew how little I actually knew about this game, and I’m sure thats still the case. This is a massive, complex, and beautiful world. One I’m excited to continue exploring.
Eventually I finished Arr and decided to start leveling a gatherer, I picked up miner and decided (in my infinite wisdom) to level it in arguably the worst possible way. Only doing my job quest, and collecting everything in the collection log for miner. But that alone wasn’t enough, no.. I decided to collect 100x of anything that wasn’t a hidden item, or shards. I decided to exclude the quest items from the 100x so occasionally I’d have to grab closer to 110-120 items. 16 hours and 6,592 items later.. I hit level 50. No leves, no gc. Just a passion for hitting rocks. I yearn for the mines.
Now I am ready to enter heavensward. There is so much I left out in my ramble, but the takeaway is this game is just wonderful. If you happen to be on Crystal - Mateus feel free to give me a shout and say hi.
\- Ovan Tasogare
submitted by /u/NaturalCultural7891
[link] [comments]
Continue reading...