Your Answer To Fordola? Thinking About Wol’s Sanity And Motivations

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I‘d started liking Fordola more than I probably have the right to and I kind of wish there was an alternate universe where she and my WoL work at getting along, but after she brought the worst moments of WoL’s life roaring back, maybe we should off her after all?

I kid. Arson/murder/jaywalking aside, how did you answer her question? I choose to hang with beast tribes, work at the Firmament, and learn the ways of DRK and MCH, but MSQ-wise I don’t feel like WoL has really had a choice in things for a while other than giving snarky or bloodthirsty answers. Plus I don’t think anyone has a say in when they reach their limit and snap. So the third answer’s out. The second answer I know to be some catchphrase. They keep trying to get me to say it but it never felt like something my WoL would say. So that leaves the first one.

And with a series of flashbacks like that, the Butcher kind of has a point. Not even I know what motivated my own character when she couldn’t prove her innocence, couldn’t go home, didn’t have the resources to do her job on her own, and was grieving most of her family. (Gameplay-wise, of course, if the hero says “there’s no polishing this turd” then the game’s over, but I meant from the story‘s perspective.) More recently, she let them throw her, with no new abilities, at the same monster that already crushed her twice. She could only beat him because of something HE chose to do. If Zenos had been smarter, all her strength and skill and blessing would not have stopped WoL from being mulch for those flowers, and I’m willing to bet she’s still thinking about that. I am! Helping others is fine, but if you can’t kill the thing that’s tormenting them... Please tell me he was an only child.

It’s also interesting and sad that an enemy is the first one to realize what has been going on inside the WoL’s head -because the Echo MAKES her. Do others not want to see their savior is capable of feeling awful? Do they just assume nothing bothers her for more than fifteen seconds? Does the Echo make you really good at hiding stuff? DRK quests show why repressing too much is a bad idea... It also seems to be hinting that yes, WoL is unbroken, but some cracks are there. Is WoL okay? Somebody told me later in the MSQ I learn something interesting about what makes them special, and I wonder if it’s related to their mental state...

(It’s cheesy, but I like to RP my WoL in my head. I guess with her, Fordola would have seen something showing the Scions pay her enough/she's drunk enough to deal with it/Ascian genocide is her life goal since their schemes got her man killed/stabbing and looting things and being praised for it feels good. I know that sounds kind of Zenos-y, but I do like it when people bow and say “we totally would have died, you’re amazing, thanks! Also, here, have some clothes!” If you’ve made up a personality/backstory for YOUR WoL, what would their reasons be? I like learning about other people’s warriors.)

Continue reading...

Back