Windows Update

Nekio

{Gilfinder}
Been having problems with my Windows Update failing. Typically the updates will be downloaded and installed, but when I restart the computer the updates fail to configure properly and are reverted. An example of the error message I get from Windows Update:

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB968537)

Installation date: ‎6/‎17/‎2009 7:18 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800719E4

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150248

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

I have been searching online and haven't found any useful info/help. Anyone else happen to have this problem and/or know how to fix it? My PC keeps restarting itself as it tries to install the updates.

Do you have the latest Vista Service Pack installed.

This is kind of an oddball error, but I'll do digging to see if I can find an answer for you.

I don't have any service packs installed. I had problems after installing SP1 last year and so i uninstalled. I tried installing SP1 just now but got an error during the configuration step. As for SP2, I only saw versions for x64, but I have 32-bit Vista. Not sure if there's a diff version I missed.

I'm running vista64 and had a similar problem with the recent SP2, took too attempts to get it finished. Just had to restart it and I removed some programs running in the background.

Similar problem with my parents computer on vista32 as well. Just try to close all the crap that's running that isn't needed.

Ok, I checked on my home computer, mshtml.dll does not export the DllRegisterServer or DllUnRegisterServer functions, meaning that trying to register that file will not work. (this could be a mistake with the article content)

Did you try running the automated fix? .. clicking on the Fix it button and downloading the Microsoft Installer to do it? Or did you try to follow all the instructions manually yourself?

Back