What's that you say? A Tree in your lung?

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
If you are bothered by blood/organ expsoure, don't click the link.

http://www.mosnews.com/weird/2009/04/13/firtree/

Mosnews said:
5 cm. fir tree removed from patient’s lung 13 Apr, 11:35 PM

A five-centimeter fir tree has been found in the lung of a man who complained he had a strong pain in his chest and was coughing blood.

The 28-year-old patient, Artyom Sidorkin, came to a hospital in the city of <st: city="" w:st="on">Izhevsk</st:> in <st: w:st="on" place="">Central Russia</st:> last week, Komsomolskaya Pravda daily reports.
Doctors x-rayed his chest and found a tumor in one of the lungs.

Suspecting cancer, they made a decision to perform biopsy, but when they cut the tissue, they were amazed to see green needles in the cut.

“I blinked three times, and thought I was seeing things. Then I called the assistant to have a look,” says Vladimir Kamashev, doctor at the <st: w:st="on" place=""><st: w:st="on" placename="">Udmurtian</st:> <st: w:st="on" placename="">Cancer</st:> <st: w:st="on" placetype="">Center</st:></st:>.

The five-centimeter <st: w:st="on" place=""><st: city="" w:st="on">branch</st:></st:> was removed from the patient’s body.

“They told me my coughing blood was not caused by any disease,” Sidorkin says. “It was the needles poking the capillaries. It really hurt a lot. But I never felt like I had an alien object inside of me.”

It is obvious that a five-centimeter branch is too large to be inhaled or swallowed, doctors say. They suggest that the patient might have inhaled a small bud, which then started to grow inside his body.

Meanwhile, the piece of lung with the little fir tree has been preserved for further study.

Can't say that I've seen that before. :confused:

Firstly, I'm curious how they think that the tree was getting the required light needed by all plants to survive.

Secondly, the "tree" was 3cm, not 5cm. The frickin ruler is right there in the photo.

Thirdly, kids have swallowed matchbox cars, so I don't know where they're getting this "too big to inhale/swallow" crap. Even if it were 5cm, that's still under 2" long and the needles are compressible.

totally could have swallowed that tiny thing. Is this like joke news somewhere? Honestly..

Que Varda & dihydrogen monoxide!

I see your Tree and here

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6_E4NVR1og&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6_E4NVR1og&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You can't swallow it into your lungs... I mean you'd choke or it would have gotten caught in your vocal cords.

I've intubated a lot of people and trying to get a tube in the right place, it can be challenging enough... just to get it past the vocal chords.

And before Nekio chimes in: no, my patients weren't lying flat, I didn't usually have good light and my assistant was generally only trained to the basic level. (i.e. can't do shit with needles/tubes/meds/ecg etc etc.)

i need more dihydrogenmonoxide.

that is just wierd... how it grows without sunlight is even more amazing.

Aren't there species of plants that use chemosynthesis rather than photosynthesis?

I realize that there are totally different environments associated with each, but if teeth, hair, and bone tissue can grow in teratomas is it totally out of the realm of possibility that something like this could happen?

The simplest explanation is usually correct:

1. Guy and friends drink a liter (or three) of potato juice (vodka).
2. Guys get bored.
3. Guys challenge guy to do something really stupid and dangerous involving tree.
4. Guy thinks this is dumb and/or fears for life.
5. Guys question guy's masculinity.
6. Guy does it anyway.

... Flaming pine branch swallowing, drunken tree climbing in the buff, tree starts to resemble Svetlana, who knows, or even wants to know...

32. Guy wakes up with really bad hangover not remembering much of anything, but chest hurts.
33. Expansion/constriction of brachial tubes and direction of pine needles work it further and further into lungs.

Aren't there species of plants that use chemosynthesis rather than photosynthesis?

I realize that there are totally different environments associated with each, but if teeth, hair, and bone tissue can grow in teratomas is it totally out of the realm of possibility that something like this could happen?

I'm not sure if there are any plants that can grow without sunlight. It could be a scientific anomaly if it turns out it really didn't need sunlight.

A plant will usually grow in the direction it's getting light from. I did a science fair project in like the 5th grade where I planted a tree inside a box with a hole in 1 end, and a sort of maze through it and the tree grew around the 'maze' and to the hole where light was coming through. So..it's something like, where it's feeling the radiation come from..or whatever.

I've no idea how that could happen, but there isn't complete darkness inside your body is there? There are also different sorts of light that plants need to grow. Like I have a salt water aquarium - I have blue and white lights for my reef plants. There are different sorts of radiation that different plants respond to.

idk

I'm not sure if there are any plants that can grow without sunlight. It could be a scientific anomaly if it turns out it really didn't need sunlight.

I thought that there was plant life discovered on the ocean floor at depths that the sun is unable to reach. Wasn't there something a while back using a deep diver that found that the plantlife down at that depth was using deep sea vents to provide nutrients instead of the sun? I only remember something vaguely because we used to use deep divers like NR-1 or Alvin as something to compare my sub's test and crush depths to.

I think you're thinking of archaebacteria. And no, I'm not making this up, btw. That type of bacteria can grow without light or oxygen, because it uses the heat from the deep sea vents to provide the energy needed for metabolism, and uses sulfur-oxygen compounds present in the vents instead of oxygen. Instead of making CO2 from oxygen like most aerobic bacteria, they make sulfuric acid. Fun stuff. AFAIK, all plants require light to survive.

@Aang: That lung tissue they showed looked realllly inflamed... I bet that was actually found in a main bronchus and it's just too swollen to see. A 1-2" pine branch could def fit in there if the needles were compressed (think of how you get a ship in a bottle) and the guy happened to be inhaling when it was in his trachea, opening the epiglottis and vocal chords. How it would get there to begin with I have no idea, but Fod's idea seems likely in Soviet Vrussia. I know hot dogs are the most common food to choke on, since they can fit perfectly into the mainstem bronchi, and that's considerably wider than what that branch looks to me. @Chii: there is very little light in your body cavities. There would be virtually no light in the main airways of a patient's lung.

P.S. Funny intubation story: the first time I attempted an intubation the attending gave me as my "practice" patient a tiny 5 year old kid who had just been induced for general anaesthesia and was no longer breathing on his own, and the light on my blade was burnt out. Needless to say, the anaesthesiologist reminding me repeatedly that the kid was desat'ing did not make my hand any steadier in the dark, and I did not get the tube in. Then the attending, frustrated, grabs the blade out of my hand like I'm an idiot, and proceeds to say "Oh, the light just burnt out... I need a new blade." Yeah, thanks.

Damn he should of left it in there so his breath would smell like fresh pine everyday... Zing!

Back