What is going on over there aang???

Ashmus

Unicorns are kickass!
:confused:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hsikPswAYUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hsikPswAYUM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I think that was just a publicity stunt.

Otherwise, just a normal day.

Couple of Notes Otherwise:

As my Japanese listening skills have improved dramatically, I've been able to listen in some very interesting conversations. I've noted that noticed that the random office chatter among the men is usually about the women in the office. I mean... all-day long, only stopping for lunch. PUSSEN may already know this; it's kind hard to explain the difference between my group and the other groups... but lets just say that these other 'groups' that use the same floor as us, are strictly Japanese. The foreigner group -- is relaxed and not so uptight, including the Japanese people we have.

Now, these other Japanese groups, it's like sitting in a men's locker room where all they talk about is women. Sure, that's cool and all - but they pop out some negative shit about the not-so-well-endowed ladies in the office. My home office, where I normally work out of -- I found out that the men like to brag about the size of their apartment or some expensive item they bought last weekend. And then... there are even some who brag about how much they worked: "Man, I was here all weekend, really pulled in a lot of hours! How about you?" --- I don't think they have a life. Really. They work every night until the last train and then they are the first in the door again at 9AM. (Note: Official start time is 9:15AM. I roll in at 9:30AM - 'cause it's pointless to fight with the crowded trains.. 15 min makes a difference.) I worked till 11pm one night about a week ago -- when I left, there was still one girl feverishly working.......

UGH. I hear things now that I didn't really want to hear to begin with.... :/ And once you learn the language, you can't just 'turn it off'. Dammit.

So that's why the Japanese population is decreasing...

Yeah, they are all married to their PSP's and DS's.... joff

There's a number of reasons - one of the big ones is the tax changes coming up... or at least planned anyway.

I can't find a good English version of the tax changes at the moment, but it's certainly better to stay married without kids or single altogether. (They are cutting the marriage benefit as well....) WTF :confused: are they thinking if they want families to thrive???

Still, I like living here ~ but some of the ideas they've got floating around still encourage me to believe that Japan lacks true leadership.

Aa, I agree on the general office chatter. But you have to note, that even though they stay and work late, they aren't actually always working, plus they don't actually do anything until after lunch. Even my team was like that, I would get in around 8:30, in order to get my reviews of their work done. They would roll in around 9:30, check their email, eat their breakfast, use the restroom, and get ready for lunch. They stay late for the 1. overtime and 2. it makes them look good in the bosses eyes. "So and so is still here, such a good worker". That just costs the company more money, I like the people who get the shit done and go home without blowing up my budget, unlike the damn IT people who charged more hours to my client than my team did /glare Aa

What you say is true Puss - The IT teams are a bit different; since your team was technically a 'client' of the IT side; we can't get away with sitting in the office doing nothing and burning the OT hours. The managers have to account for that OT and the new PMS system for time tracking has some built-in flagging that looks for crap like that. The managers have to document what that person is doing to qualify the OT reported. If a W/P isn't done on time and that person that is responsible charged a ton of OT, then there are questions that need to be answered about how that time was spent...

Now, as far as the hours IT charged; No idea. I worked steadily and charged the hours I actually worked. I got lots of glaring emails of why I was charging admin time on client days. It was because we were waiting for client responses or documentation - I'm not going to charge hours if I'm just sitting there waiting. This year, I'm by myself on the GC side and I've got three other people on the AC side. (Why 3, I dunno... 2 is plenty.) PLUS... they hired a new girl to work under me from January (at the usual client) so I'll be training her and responsible for the RF work to cover the YE period. AM I GETTING PAID EXTRA? newp. (I'm being considered for a promotion, but that's a 25% chance due to the time requirements.)

btw; the YE party (your division) is tomorrow night. (Monday night) We have a deadline to meet Monday and yet they say attending this party is 'required'. wtf? What it translates to is me having to go in EARLIER to review the existing work and making sure that the loose ends are tied up by noon. Gah... My last day of work is 12/22.... until 1/4. Thank god.

Oh yeah, forgot about that new PMS system, I was only there for a month after they put that in, and basically I just made my admin do it for me. The prior year went fine, it was just funny cause I reduced my teams side significantly and the IT side stayed about the same. Wonder how my old team is hanging in there, bet they are feeling some of the stress these days.

Grats on the possible upcoming promotion, same thing here for me as well, granted they don't extend the time period requirements which has been in a big discussion.

New girl working under you, always good to hear, and that you will be training her, hows the wifey feel about that.

Take it easy buddy and keep in touch, the GF is coming here on the 20th for vacation, so not sure when I will be back your way, but will definitely keep you informed.

Go up to some guy at the water cooler and say "Word around the office is, you've got a fat cock." Make sure it's someone who doesn't speak a word of English.

Back