Warning Regarding Unauthorized Access

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
We have received reports regarding the unauthorized access of player accounts.

If you experience one of the following situations, please contact the Information Center as soon as possible.

- You receive the message "The account has been logged into from another terminal" and you are unable log back into the account.

- A character linked to the PlayOnline ID is logged in when you have not accessed the account.

In addition, if you have experienced any of the following, please change your PlayOnline password after performing a virus check to make sure you have not downloaded any malicious programs. If you have a Square Enix Account, be sure to change your Square Enix password through the Square Enix Management System located on the top right of the FINAL FANTASY XI official website.

- PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI client forcibly shuts down often.

- PC applications or the peformance of the PC is unstable and has trouble turning on or shutting down.

- Anti-virus software detects a malicious program.

The use of the Square Enix Security Token is often very effective in preventing unauthorized access to game data. If you are using the Windows version

of the PlayOnline Viewer, we highly recommended using the Square Enix Security Token.

We ask that you continue to monitor and update the security of your system and Internet connection to prevent any harm caused by malicious programs.

PlayOnline Information Center
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time
https://secure.playonline.com/supportus/index.html

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

I've been following a few things about this latest wave of hackings/password jacking.

I think, they (whoever the hacker is) has figured out how to get into the PlayOnline databases again. This was done once before and even screen-shots of the POL ID's and passwords were posted. You are safer if you have a SE Token, but now, not 100%. If you have a POL account with a Token, you're even more screwed than the people with tokens. (Well, I'm talking about potential to be screwed.)

Keep your stuff up-to-date and pray you don't get hit. :S

If you have a POL account with a Token, you're even more screwed than the people with tokens.

I guess I don't see the distinction here. What's the difference between these 2 groups?

Sorry, typo. It was meant that people without tokens were more at risk because there is one less layer of protection. Accounts with a token, they cannot take full control over.

Certain parts of the account need that token key to make changes to the POL account. Even if the hackers got into the account one-time, all they could really do is strip your character which then you could do a roll-back.

Again, accounts without the token, all of your details can be changed and can be more difficult to get control over again.

Where the problem is, mainly, is that it appears that in a percentage of cases documented with PS2/XBOX360 users, shows that the hackers were getting POL ID's and password from another source since the console users were not using their POL ID's on any PC. This is where the POL databases come into play and where people without tokens are more vulnerable. Even if the hackers got your basic POL ID and Password, they still don't have the token key and can't do anything.

So glad I got my token. Now let's hope this battery runs for a long time!

Mine's already cracked and hard to read after dropping it on the boardwalk at the beach this summer... But it was sooo worth having Bardock log me in for random events!

-Omar

Back