Vanguard: Saga of Heroes?

Neodevilbane

Master of the Martini
Any good? The screenshots I've seen seem light years beyond FFXI, and it has 60 different characteristics you can alter when creating a character, as well as player housing -- can build your own house on the landscape itself for all to see.

I got sucked over to vanguard with Benny, Fodder and Mythlon. It's a good game if you can get past the fact that you will be paying 15 bucks a month to beta test their game. It was released with more gamebreaking bugs and glitches than I have ever seen in an MMORPG. You also need a very good system to run the game at the minimum quality settings and I still lag down to a halt when in parties or towns.

All of that being said, the game itself is quite fun. Definitely a change of pace from FFXI. The customer service is lightyears beyond that experienced in FFXI. The developers are always posting on public forums and several times have taken player advice in planning or adjusting how the game evolves. They have even had two weekends where all experience gained was doubled to calm the people bitching about how rough the game has been to date. The crafting system as complex, if not more so than the actual adventuring system.

Don't get too excited about the housing aspect yet. It seems to be a giant money sink to me...In my 1.5 months playing I have done pretty well and have amassed a small fortune in gold and still need to multiply my total worth by 25 just to afford a plot let alone a house to put on it. Even when you get a plot and a house you still have to pay weekly fees equal to 1/10th of the purchase price of the plot (i.e. the weekly fees are more per week than I have made total so far). I could buy a boat if I could see a good use for it. They are pretty neat...the ones available now only can be sailed along the coast or in the rivers, but they go very fast and you can put as many people on your boat as can fit.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you have any specific questions just let me know. If you pick the game up come visit us on Woefeather server. My name is Cozmin in game.

Ez

I got sucked over to vanguard with Benny, Fodder and Mythlon. It's a good game if you can get past the fact that you will be paying 15 bucks a month to beta test their game. It was released with more gamebreaking bugs and glitches than I have ever seen in an MMORPG. You also need a very good system to run the game at the minimum quality settings and I still lag down to a halt when in parties or towns.

All of that being said, the game itself is quite fun. Definitely a change of pace from FFXI. The customer service is lightyears beyond that experienced in FFXI. The developers are always posting on public forums and several times have taken player advice in planning or adjusting how the game evolves. They have even had two weekends where all experience gained was doubled to calm the people bitching about how rough the game has been to date. The crafting system as complex, if not more so than the actual adventuring system.

Don't get too excited about the housing aspect yet. It seems to be a giant money sink to me...In my 1.5 months playing I have done pretty well and have amassed a small fortune in gold and still need to multiply my total worth by 25 just to afford a plot let alone a house to put on it. Even when you get a plot and a house you still have to pay weekly fees equal to 1/10th of the purchase price of the plot (i.e. the weekly fees are more per week than I have made total so far). I could buy a boat if I could see a good use for it. They are pretty neat...the ones available now only can be sailed along the coast or in the rivers, but they go very fast and you can put as many people on your boat as can fit.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you have any specific questions just let me know. If you pick the game up come visit us on Woefeather server. My name is Cozmin in game.

Ez

Is Benny & co. on Woefeather also? I'll likely be checking this out in a few days... sounds like it pretty much meets my "wish list" I'd expect to see in an MMORPG.

Is Benny & co. on Woefeather also? I'll likely be checking this out in a few days... sounds like it pretty much meets my "wish list" I'd expect to see in an MMORPG.

Yes, Benny, Vanyel, Mythlon(my hubby & Guild lead), Fodder, Lynn & some others are on Woefeather.

Woefeather? Sounds like a server Moravius would get on...

Where the deuce is that kid anyway?

i saw some screen shots and all the textures looked like a flat surface with squigly lines made to look like grass. but you don't typically play games for textures.

I played Vanguard from the end of beta 1 to launch, and have since canceled my account.

It had tons of potential, but it was released 6 months too early. 80% of the things they promised to be in by Beta 3 are still missing. 90% of what they claimed would be in by release is still missing.

It could very well turn out to be an amazing game in the future - if half of what they promised would be in had made it, it would be the best on the market. But it's not there yet. McQuaid left quite a few people who had faith in him at the alter

I canceled my subscription too. The game just isn't where it's at.

I am waiting for Age of Conan now. That game looks fricken awesome. I am going to play a stygian demonologist.

Oct 30th seems so far away!

I canceled my subscription too. The game just isn't where it's at.

I am waiting for Age of Conan now. That game looks fricken awesome. I am going to play a stygian demonologist.

Oct 30th seems so far away!

Get out.

Back