Ultima Plays With Dragons

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
I'd say we have a dragon fetish? No?

pol%202005-06-02%2022-43-36-78.jpg

Donno if you guys tried to kite him or tank him straight up...

Anyone who has done him with CoP, remember when he flied, he did straight damage? The time my crew defeated Ouryu I actually tanked because Coice died early and I had Freeze hate... I just ran back and forth the entire fight as he hit me for ~90 dmg. As soon as I would stop I'd get hit for ~240 dmg... Same with Coice, or anyone else. In the CoP mission, if you are running, you automatically get hit for DRASTICALLY less. This may be something to try when he flies, if you have not already.

(Not to mention, it'd be nice to get a '*** is too far away' msg every once in a while when he readies a move)

Jo,

Every wyrm that flies seems to have this property. Basically their normal attacks while flying are magical damage, and as such are neither helped nor hindered by defense. Also they cannot be blinked. We noted that Ouryu stays in the air a long-ass time (similar to Jormun), wish is alright unless you need hate-setting melee... some of my observations on the fight:

1. He was way, way stronger to wind magic than I had been expecting. Silence almost never landed and Gravity didn't seem to do a lot better. I only used Aero IV on him twice... first for 2XX and second for 0. I know the second was Stoneskin; the first may have been too... not sure.

2. Kiting was pretty bad as far as wing attack pretty much hitting the whole area, and us scattered so no easy way to get healed. I'd already have thrown out the idea in my mind if it weren't for...

3. AoE Terror! I guess we all knew this would suck but I'd really say this may be the single move we have to defeat to figure this out. Other than this move, I think the fight can be arranged so it can be fought like a Nidhogg fight... Still even as I write this I'm starting to see a possible way...

What if we did this: pull the wyrm forward near the entrance. There is a worm spawn there in that corner, and following the arena to the right hand side there is another worm spawn. Like so:

WORM1 ELEM POP ELEM POP WORM2

WORM3 BC ENTRANCE WORM4

in a rough square. Place 2 BLM and 1 refresher at WORM1. The job of this group is to continuously kill elemental pops, and kill the worm as it becomes a problem. The rest pull Ouryu ahead to WORM3 but the tricky part is that they split forces between 3 and 4! So one group has (PLD WHM/SMN BRD/SMN) (RNG RNG SMN) (like THF or somethin), and the other has (PLD WHM/SMN RDM/SMN) (RNG RNG SMN) (some other guy). I see that it's 6 in the morning so maybe this is retarded but at least we wouldn't all get terrored at once (._.)

-benny

The worms are very easy to TP on / Drain HP off of. They seem to pose little threat, and just using WS on Ouryu might help damage and reduce the number of wings he uses. I don't think there's an easy way for the terrorizega other than putting a WHM in a RNG PT that sits off the side and when ouryu terrorizes they run in and Cure V the tank as neccessary. (And heal any RNGs too!)

Ouryu uses Stoneskin a lot, most of my attacks were doing 0 damage, and Sidewinder was doing 0 sometimes (yet still giving me 14 TP back strangely enough). Either he has a Shadow Mantle type ability or just casts Stoneskin too damn much. His regen doesn't seem to be much of a problem. But to win this BC I think we'll need more damage. A lot more damage.

What about just dispelling stoneskin? He also does spam Invincible remember. I think our damage is fine if we concentrate on the dragon from the beginning. We spent a looong time just killing worms that fight.

-benny

This is my report for the dragon

1) Silence -- Never land.
2) Gravity -- 90% land. (resisted twice toward almost the end of the fight.)
3) Dispel -- No effect most of the time.
4) Sleep -- 95% land. (Resisted once toward the end of the fight.)
5) Paralyze -- 20% land. (>_<; )
6) Slow -- Never land.

Jaz~

Yes, as I remember from CoP (and we can't assume EVERYTHING is the same, but its a general idea) Sleep landed really well. Oddly enough, Silence did too; and I hear it isnt landing here very often at all. Stoneskin was a problem; in CoP we opened with Astral Flow and Barrage to 'take out' stoneskin. (We then discussed how, whether its regular shots or big huge damage at once, stoneskin absorbs a set amount of dmg so it doesnt matter how you do it - think of it as him curing himself)

Kiting I thought of only to reduce dmg... dont know about this version, but CoP mission he does less damage when you are moving than when you are standing still (when he is flying, that is)

I am 100% for trying this!

He still kicks our ass Jot and he is a much stronger variation than CoP. It's the Ouryu CoP BC on Steriods basically.

Duh...

Fafnir kicked our ass. We have since beaten him.

Same with Nidhogg. He's on the 'roids too.

Same with Tiamat now.

Sakura and ML metaphorically 'kicked our asses' with claiming and such, but we have since showed them what's up, just like all these other challenges in our past. I *know* he is not easy by any stretch, and one pitiful suggestion won't change that in the least. However, I was putting forth my two cents (which is the very little amount its worth) just like everyone else.

Jotaru said:
Kiting I thought of only to reduce dmg... dont know about this version, but CoP mission he does less damage when you are moving than when you are standing still (when he is flying, that is)

EUREKA!

Thats why he was hitting me for 50 damage the first part when we kited him around, but when we tried to straight up tank it , it was doing 250's.'

I'd suggest a combination of both, when he is on the ground, its pretty much a nidhogg fight, with more dangerous aoe's, when he is flying, we should definitely kite it around with everyone else in the corner waiting till he comes down.

Exactly, shrikey. He needs to be tanked straight up when he's on the ground, it seems, to ensure all your possible damage dealers can do their damage (not just rangers, as when he is flying) However, for the life of me I can't figure out why his large damage attacks, which aren't affected by defense, are REDUCED if you are moving when he is in the air... Some catch? Perhaps PLD tank when on ground, NIN or WAR/NIN tank when in the air to reduce damage? They shouldnt get hit harder than pally's, and they have shadows too... Seems good to me.

Attacks in the air go through shadows. You are only allowed 18 people in the BC, so your best for DD are RNGs anyway (we can shoot and WS him in the air).

;_;

btw I knew flying attacks went through blink... Why I didn't think of that when I sugested NIN in the air, I don't know... Brain fart :F

Yes although RNGs are good for DMG.. i still believe SMNs , Spinning Dive on the ground as well as cooperative MBs by BLMs on the SC will help DMG. I didnt notice us MB bursting on the dry run probably because it was being kited and hard to setup.

Kind of same thing with Tiamat. MB will definitely help a lot; 30% additional damage on whatever base damage we get is more than any amount of Magic Attack Bonus, Etude, or INT+ equipment can get us, and all we need to get this huge bonus is correct timing. (To put this into perspective, magic bursting vs. not is about the same dmg difference as a RNG shooting, eating yellow curry, then shooting again)

However, on the flipside, its hard to time this, especially in alliances. Many times I notice there is a SC set up for MB'ing, but its not properly communicated (at least, not CLEARLY) WHO is going, and WHEN, to make WHICH skillchain. Many times during Gods I will start casting to time a MB because I see a WS go; many people still have SC call macros even if they are not in the SC, and that makes it very hard to burst. After some more refining I'm sure we can get this down and drastically enhance our performance and thus reduce battle time. During Tiamat, Aqua and I were either on Stun duty (no spells cast, watch chat log) or on stand-by, which meant either resting or casting a spell or two (often times Stoneskin reapply, Curing, maybe drain or aspir)

A well timed SC with MB every contact, on Ouryu OR any other mob, will drastically help ^_^ We do OK with this, but I think its something we can realistically set our goals on improving.

Edit: I speak mainly of BLM here because, alas, I am of the BLM mindset. However, consider: Last tiamat, we had 5x SMN. If every Spinning Dive was MB'd, that's 30% more damage. In one round, that's 150% extra Spinning Dive damage; that's instantly like adding an additional Summoner, and more. To all the people who say "we only have 3SMN online atm" consider- MB'ing instead of not is instantly like having 4 ;)

I knew WaterIV is MB'able, but I didn't realize Spinning Dive was. Are you positive about that?

Back