These are the reasons alcohol is totally awesome.

Rektify

More things change the more they stay the same.
Ultima Legacy
This is the ranting part of the forum right? Where we talk about how shitty our day has been?

Let's see... this day has been going on for 7 hours now, and it already is a painful life-changer. Lately my mother has been taken to coming home whenever she damn well feels like it. That's fine, she's old enough. Too bad she sometimes comes home drunk. What's wrong with that? We all do THAT.

As some of us know, some more than others - being drunk is one of the times when your more ... free. Perhaps honest is the best term here? Well, I learned during this happy quality time I had with her that she has made plans to fucking move. From Ohio .... to Las Vegas? She is leaving me and my older brother behind. Also leaving behind my sister and her two kids. (who she always said she just adores) Keep in mind we're all her children. She is heading to Vegas with her boyfriend of a year and a half or so. And get this -- this is really great -- she's taking her boyfriends son. (who is OLDER than me) Nothing like a huge old "hey, we're leaving you behind -- and while I'm at it I'd like you to know your a massive disappointment to me" to start your day amirite?

She handed me a time line of a little under a year before they are gone. (they have jobs and a possible house lined up already) It's all so frustrating, I've worked really hard to get to where I am right now and I figured I'd have some stability before I tried to make it through college. I'm 18 -- as much as I think I might be ready to take on the world I never thought I'd have to actually do it months after turning 18...

Well, that's my first rant in a seriously long time. I know a good many of you are parents, so I figured maybe I'd post this and see just what in hell is going through her head. Maybe I can convince her out of it? and.. BTW -- this won't affect the shell at all, I pay in advance for ffxi :D

Does your older brother have his own place? If you're not living on some campus by the time they leave, could you crash with him potentially?

Something kind of similar to this happened to me when I was 17 and my two younger brothers were 15 and 13. Fortunately I was on my way to college at the time and there were friends willing to take in my brothers...

-benny

I'm really sorry to hear that. =/ There are days you WISH your parents were as mature as you, but can't help who they are.

Not to counter rant but I was homeless my senior year of high school (let's just say my mom's about as irresponsible as yours sounds) and still made it to college. It sucks you won't have that stability to support you, but trust me it can be done.

On a more practical note, hoping to save you some of the roadblocks I ran into, if her leaving will result in you moving at all, make sure you get some kind of evidence of your current address now like a bill or mailing or such. I don't know your living situation right now (i.e. if she owns the house, apartment, what your family can do to help, etc). If you will be moving, you'll need that address history for some colleges. If you might (and I desperately hope not) be forced into a situation similar to mine, look into getting a P.O. Box ASAP.

I'm not sure how old your brother and sister are if they can help stabilize things or will be just as upheaved as you by all this. And in stressful situations like this, it's really easy to fight with each other, but try to be there for each other best you can.

Last note of practicality: If you've been putting in stuff for FAFSA already, you may want to talk to your guidance counselor (If you're still in HS?) about editing it. Given your age, I'm sure they're counting your mother's income. As she'll be a non-contributive parent basically abandoning you like this, you should be able to get any EFC (expected financial contribution) from her nulled and they can increase your financial aid (I'm just guessing you haven't got thousands of bucks in your back pocket). If you're out already and looking to go to college, can look online. Let me know if you need it and I'll see what I can dig up.

*huggles*

That's a fucked up situation...I am in agreement with Zeri-- the best you can do is keep your head and not freak out, or overlook any practical assistance you can get.

You're old enough (and both your brother and I'm assuming your sister) that you can do a lot for yourselves. You all have options and I really hope that things look up real soon~

That's some fucked up shit right there.

At least she didn't pull one of these over ya.

Well, at least your mother is mentally stable (or so i assume?). Mine has a multitude of mental illnesses, doesn't have a care in the world, and can't hold a steady job. She ran off multiple times when she was still married to my father. She managed to put him in jail for a multitude of reasons - she would harm herself and make it look like he hit her, then call the police; and then possession of marijuana(most of what was her doing) in conjunction with his current DWI pretty much did it.

Needless to say, she's pretty screwed up, and made my post-high school life a living hell. Some of you may not have a mother, but it feels like I don't lol.

EDIT: thought I'd mention, in comparison, I really look up to my dad and he's basically my hero. although he's not had the most admirable of pasts imo (he grew up in the 60s, need I say more?) that's all behind him and he's helped me out a lot.

That shit is messed up, like my checkbook. On a side note Rek, did u reserve Brenner timeslot for tonight? If so what time?

Also! Primetime uncapped ballistas starting today and all weekend! Start @ 3pm est I think Redd said. Let's have some good ole fun killing each other. AQUAZERO Im coming for your MNK!!!!

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Keep that in mind during times like these. Your decisions today are going to make the man you will become. I know you'll make best choices for you and your family. I can't begin to understand what you're feeling right now but if you ever need a listening ear you know where to turn.

@ Soundwave, yeah I did reserve the Ghelsba spot in Upper Jeuno ... it's for 5-7. I think the best antidote right now is to go kill Redd a few times. :bfg: I had today off, so I took a little more time sleeping than I normally do ... haha, me and Redd go at it in an hour.

I couldn't tell any of you what her deal is, but her love of Vegas started when she took a little trip out there. She came back and that's all she talked about for a while.

It's really unusual, we are decently middle class folk and my sister has two kids under two years old. (new mother , good for her) She has her hands full, as she is happily engaged to a nice guy who has two kids from a previous relationship. That's four kids, and I had enough of screaming children back when I was one of them myself. As for the older brother, he still wants to be a rockstar. (no... really) To put it into perspective, he keeps asking me if he can give me payments to buy my car. So, heh, nope, he doesn't have a house.

So far I only love you guys more, I can't believe the responses so far -- Sass's response is pretty much win though lol. As far as the game itself goes, RL and FFXI are two things I try uber hard not to mix. I play FFXI to skip out on RL ya know?

Does the air force have teh internetz?

There is a Huge coast guard base in Cleveland for Lake Erie. I hear is a pretty cool venue if thats something you were thinking of doing rek. I think its so big because they had to allocate a ton of funds to the Lake Erie coast guard to stop the prohibition rum runners. But then all the money didnt do jack cause most of the alcohol came directly into the cuyahoga under their noses. Now, probably the only thing you have to worry about is finding missing drunk people who got caught in the undertow and Canadians storming our beaches in whale watching kayaks.

Back