Still Having Trouble Picking A Tank. X_x

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Hello, so I'm a casual player and relatively recently I commited myself to maining the tank role as I find the most satisfaction playing a tank than I do as either a dps or healer and tanking feels oddly natural to me lol. Currently though, I'm having some doubts and have gone to swapping between 3 tank jobs, trying to figure out which I'd want to be but only ending up running myself into the ground because something comes along that makes me think that tank job isn't right for me. Here are my issues:

Paladin - This one I had put the most work in. I have all the relics from each expansion, it was the job I have been playing the most the past month or so and I've gotten to a point where I can just about solo any boss in the dungeons if the group wipes and I'm the only survivor. Moments where I'm the only one left standing and I whittle the boss down and people praising me for succeeding are what convinced me to make being a tank a permanent thing. Now my issue is that watching videos of much more experienced tanks (specifically Lynx Kameli), they say that Pld is better off as an OT over being an MT because of it's support and utility. Granted 80% of the time I'm just doing dungeons, the times where I have a tank partner, I kinda like being MT, but that isn't the ideal option for Pld.

Dark Knight - This one I quite like aesthetically, and I do have the Anima Lux relic for it. I like how using TBN is usually all I need to do and barely take any damage, making life easier on the healers and generally feeling proper tanky, though when the group dies, I end up dead as well with no Clemency level healing lol. My problem with Drk is that while it's suggested to be a main tank, I can't maintain that position as anytime I'm with another tank that decides that leaving tank stance on and having an aggro fight is more important than what helps the healers and the group out more, I always lose hate and can't ever overcome the other tank, even when using proper rotations and openers.

Gunbreaker - This one wins aesthetically for me as I'm always a sucker for tech based classes or classes that have a tech like feel to them. I like having the ogcd Regen as it feels like I'm helping the healers a bit and in turn give them more opportunity to dps. Also since I used to be a dps main since 2.0, it playing more like a dps than a tank really helps me transition into maining tanks. The problem I have with it is that more knowledgeable tanks than me say that it has the worst defenses and is only really useful for pushing dps checks and speedruns and as such is relegated to OT status. I just don't want to be a strain on healers and make them hate playing with me because of GNB's lower defense than other tanks, though at the same time I just love every aspect of GNB, even if it currently only has one glowing weapon that doesn't even look all that great compared to the options other tanks have. I just don't want to be a burden and want to provide the smoothest and most enjoyable run I can give to the dps and healers.

Warrior - I just don't like it. It doesn't appeal to me at all in all the time I played with it. I don't really like the berzerker, big axe wielding theme. Even having leveled it to 60 back in HW, it was a struggle to keep at it and the only reason I ever got anything out if it was cause of it's insane self healing as that one particular aspect always appealed to me, though even it is not enough to keep me playing Warrior longer than I have to.

As you can see, aside from Warrior I love each of the tanks in different ways and each has an issue that makes me then go to the next in an endless circle of tank swapping that is starting to cause me to feel burned out on the game due to my indecisiveness. Since I'm a casual player, I'd prefer to stick to just one of the tanks to focus on since I have a dps secondary already and don't wanna stretch myself too thin or else I become poor at playing all jobs instead of being decent to good at a couple.

Continue reading...

Back