Square-Enix cracks down on gardeners, sends out bans

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Filed under: Fantasy, Final Fantasy XI, Culture, News items, PvE, Consoles

If you've got a green thumb, you probably now have a sore thumb thanks to the Square-Enix banhammer. Gardeners across Final Fantasy XI have been complaining on fan forums that they've recently lost their accounts, only now tying the cause of their bans to their gardening activities.

Community site Pet Food Alpha has reported that Square-Enix is specifically targeting players who own more than one character for the explicit reason of gardening. Any level character can garden -- even right from the start of the game -- but no character can have more than 10 flowerpots at a time in their house. This has sparked players to purchase more character slots to simply expand their gardening enterprises, a common practice that has been done by players for over six years.

Players are unclear if these bans have been handed our by individuals on the RMT Task Force, or if they bans were created by one of Square-Enix's new automated tools. We'll keep our eyes on this story and update as new information comes in.Square-Enix cracks down on gardeners, sends out bans originally appeared on Massively on Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Surprised to see this....

I've never had the patience to garden, but it seems like a legit way to make gil.
Anyone we know get hit with this ban?

The comments in the article pointed out there was a crop you could grow that when NPC'd would give you a net profit. If that's what they're addressing, it seems like they should have just adjusted the sale price....

I suppose this will hurt the gilfarmers, but it might have hit some regular players as well.

The comments in the article pointed out there was a crop you could grow that when NPC'd would give you a net profit. If that's what they're addressing, it seems like they should have just adjusted the sale price....

I suppose this will hurt the gilfarmers, but it might have hit some regular players as well.

There's a multi-page thread on BG with several random people that got banned. All of them were told they got banned for RMT activities. The crops varied but they were all just growing stuff to npc it. It makes sense I suppose but it's a pretty bad move on SE's part. Any time they take actions like this against RMT they end up closing off another of the increasingly few ways for legit players to more casually make gil.

I used to synth Remedies by the boatload and sell them to NPC for net profit. Then RMT crews caught on and Remedy NPC prices were subsequently nerfed, sans ban-hammer. How was that not an acceptable solution? Maybe I should be banned :p

Basically same as the old Rusty Caps/Picks, etc, too.

I used to synth Remedies by the boatload and sell them to NPC for net profit. Then RMT crews caught on and Remedy NPC prices were subsequently nerfed, sans ban-hammer. How was that not an acceptable solution?

Any time they take actions like this against RMT they end up closing off another of the increasingly few ways for legit players to more casually make gil.

;)

I used to synth Remedies by the boatload and sell them to NPC for net profit. Then RMT crews caught on and Remedy NPC prices were subsequently nerfed, sans ban-hammer. How was that not an acceptable solution? Maybe I should be banned :p

Basically same as the old Rusty Caps/Picks, etc, too.

That would of been a slow process? I joined the craze by buying everything from NPC other then the mistletoe(it been ages forget the correct name!) and going for HQs.

Great...so right after they put me back to where I was, they will ban me for my garden!

I still grow plat. nuggets on 7+ mules. I have been doing that for 4 years now. That's how i paid for my goldsmithing. I normally take the nuggets and syth them into ingots. but now I just make rings or cursed sch or earrings out of them to reduce my losses on nq stuff.

Back