Solving Some Ffxiv Launcher Proton Issues On Linux Mint

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Hello there,

Today, I tried to install the FFXIV Free Trial on my Linux Mint laptop. Well, as you can see in a lot of posts, this needed a whole bunch of troubleshooting.

Actually, this post would be an answer to this one (https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9aeoqy/ffxiv_proton_help_pls/), because some people were having trouble on Mint. I'm currently on the download screen of the launcher, so I don't know if it will really run, but it's still better than those instant crashes when opening or 404 HTTPS errors.

So, without further ado, here are the things I did:

• Edited the boot file of the game (as on the post above), and I also tried putting DX11Enabled 0 on it (although I'd recommend you to leave it as 1)
  • I adapted the bash script that a fine gentleman posted on the post above, in order for it to work on my computer. All I did was change some paths and change Proton version.

WINEDIR="$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist" export WINESERVER="$WINEDIR/bin/wineserver" export WINELOADER="$WINEDIR/bin/wine" export WINE="$WINELOADER" export WINEDLLPATH="$WINEDIR/lib/wine:$WINEDIR/lib64/wine" export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64:/usr/lib32:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/i386/lib:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$HOME/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib" export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/312060/pfx" wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks chmod +x winetricks ./winetricks xact d3d11=native dxgi=native xaudio2_{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}=native

ATTENTION: (please note that I used 312060 because I was trying to run the free trial, replace it with 39210 to work with the main game. Also, if you're not using Proton 4.11, replace it with whatever version you're using)

Okay, run this script, maybe yours didn't give any errors? If not, now starts the magic. Erhm, I don't know what actually did the trick, so I'll just list all I did.

• Installed wine32 (sudo apt install wine32)
  • Removed a font config file (we don't want to ruin our OS if we don't know what we are doing, right?) mv /etc/fonts/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf <WHEREVER_YOU_WANT> (obs: you're gonna need root for this)
  • Updated my GPU drivers (I don't think this helped, but who knows)

Then, I had some other problems:

grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc mkdir: symbol lookup error: mkdir: undefined symbol: mode_to_security_class
  • As those above had some connection with libpcre and libselinux, I removed all the .so files related to those in ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/i386-linux-gnu and ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu . If you're having another undefined symbols, it might be good to search for those in some man page and remove the according .so files from those paths.
  • So... I still ended up with loading errors for xactengine dlls. Well, thank you stranger in a forum I don't remember for saying that winetricks only had errors for those dlls that existed. Because of that, I tried moving out all of the xactengine3_* files from ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib64/wine and ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 4.11/dist/lib/wine.

I guess this was it. When I ran it again, it entered the download screen. As I mentioned before, I didn't really wanted to do a full post about this, as my main goal was to share this modified version of the winetricks script and I didn't search enough to know for sure if this issue was already solved in some better way.

Anyways, if this helps someone, I'm happy with it. I'm downloading the game by now, so if I have any problems I might update this.

Oh, and please correct me if you notice something wrong in those steps I described.

submitted by /u/Hyodar
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back