So You're A Fresh Level 80, Ready To Gear And Conquer But Need Nudge On Where To Go? Read...

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I just wrote this up to reply to someone and...maybe it can help others so, sharing it in the hopes that maybe it does. : )

EDIT: There's a quick summary and goal/milestones list at the bottom for people familiar with this dance. For total newbies to this endgame gearing thing, this first part is a more or less full walkthrough of what you need from where, including vendor names as applicable. (Also some minor typoes fixed...knew there would be SOME...) :ENDEDIT

So you're a fresh 80 and just finished ShB's wonderful MSQ and are all hyped up and wondering "Okay...so what do I do next?! How do I gear up for 5.1?!?!"

Let's get started. :D

Getting your Job gear from the blacksmith dude in the Tempest (which you SHOULD already have) will give you 430 ilevel primary pieces. That's helm, chest, gloves, pants, and boots. So to start evening things out, we'll be looking at accessories first...as they're also the most accessible drops (uh, no pun...intended [yes, yes it WAS intended... :p ]). You can get 430 belts and right side pieces (ear, neck, wrist, and ring) by running Expert roulette. At this point, MOST people are passing on the gear (or not rolling on it, which is the same thing). You also get random level VII and VIII materia from the chests and some monsters in these dungeons, which can help you get started as well.

Expert roulette requires ilevel 410 to enter, but so did the last MSQ dungeon, meaning if you're reading this, you've already met that threshhold. Note that AFTER 5.1, this will be getting a bump to accommodate the new dungeon they're adding. This will increase it to 430, so you may just be manually quing for them a couple of times to get to 425 ilevel where you can hit up Eden.

While doing your daily roulettes and your Experts, you're going to be getting Tomestones. There are currently TWO types used at level 80, the lower tier Goetia, and the upper tier Phantasmagoria. The Goetia you can turn in for 440 ilevel pieces, and I suggest buying a ring first, since you have two ring slots, so it won't really "go to waste". SAVE the Phantasmagoria for your weapon (we'll get to THAT in a minute...) The tomestone vendor is in Eulmore, second from the left, on that long row on the big open balcony. His name is Aymark <Tomestone Exchange>. Once more, HOLD ONTO those Phantasmagoria! Again, I'll get to it at the bottom. (ONE minor exception: If you're a PLD, you can buy the Phantasmagoria shield for 300. I'll explain why down below.)

I think of 440 tomestone gear as the "they're giving away candy" gear. You will be swimming in Goetia before you know it, so you can splurge with it. The goal right now is to get to 425 ilevel so you can get into Eden asap.

Once your overall ilevel is 425, you can hop into Eden. RIGHT NOW, you can only roll on ONE loot token per boss per week. This means the first boss you can get ONE item from each week, but no more from THAT boss. You can go into the second boss and get an item from them if you haven't, but running the first boss again will get you nothing once you've gotten that piece for the week. Note this is RIGHT NOW, PRE-5.1.

As soon as 5.1 hits, this limit WILL BE REMOVED. At that point, you can farm Eden bosses as much as you want to grind out a full set of gear.

There is a second kind of token that also drops from Eden. From the FOURTH (final) boss, you get a second item, which looks like a sword. This does NOT count against your "one item per boss per week" total, it is its own special thing which you can only get one of, from THAT final boss, ONCE per week. As far as I'm aware, this limit is NOT going away in 5.1. (If past is a predictor, 5.2 is when this limit will go away, once the second set of Eden bosses is released). You just get one automatically in your inventory...but only once per week. Note the pet minion does not count against your total, so you can roll on that as much as you want.

[Sorry if I'm hammering this dead horse a bit hard, some people have confusion on how it works...and in 4 days, it won't matter and maybe I'll edit this blob out. XD But, come 5.2 and the next wing of Eden, it WILL matter, so getting used to how it works isn't a bad thing.]

The armor token exchanges for gear work like this:

4 chest tokens = 1 chest item4 leg tokens = 1 pants item2 glove tokens = 1 glove item2 helm tokens = 1 helm item2 boot tokens = 1 boot item1 belt token = 1 belt item1 accessory token (looks like a ring) = 1 accessory item (can be traded for ring, bracer, necklace, OR earring)

The vendor for these is at the same place in Eulmore, but all the way on the right and it's the Kobold dude named Yhal Yal <Eden Relic Exchange>. You can browse his items once you unlock him (shortly after unlocking Eden itself) to verify what tokens you need for what and plan out what you want to purchase.

These gear pieces are ALL ilevel 450. If you get them all, after doing the above that I mentioned, you should have all 450 pieces except for one ilevel 440 ring that you bought earlier, and your 430 weapon. Going for accessories first in Eden will give you the quickest ilevel gains because (a) few people are rolling on them at this point and (b) you can replace FOUR of your items in a single week pre-5.1 (for those of you that are unlocking Eden tonight and are going to grind it tomorrow before the patch hits). The first week you can get into Eden post-5.1, though, you can farm out the entire set if you want to. The first DAY, if you REALLY want to.

So, what can we do about that ring? Right now, if you want to get that other ring ilevel up, you can either run Innocence Ex 5 times and buy it with his totems (Innocence accessories are ilevel 450s), or you can get the drop (Innocence drops 4 random Immaculate accessories each run), or you can buy a crafted piece if you have the gil and lack the patience, OR, if you're willing to wait on it until after the weapon (because the weapon is MUCH more important), you can buy the Phantasmagoria ring which is ilevel 460. THIS will get you the most long-run bang for the ring slot buck, but the choice is entirely up to you.

I should note here that Titania/Innocence Ex both require ilevel 430 as well, but are much easier to run now that people are in 440/450+ gear.

...so, what about that weapon?

Presently, your options are you can farm Titania for a 450 weapon - you can get lucky and get your drop or buy one for 10 tokens (PLD is 7 for the sword, 3 for the shield) - or you can buy one from the Market Board (cost will vary with your datacenter, of course), or you can make use of those sword tokens I mentioned before from Eden. PRE-5.1, it takes 7 of them per weapon. AFTER 5.1 hits, it will only take 4. But as you can only get one per week, we'll be looking at 4 for you. So that means 4 weeks of killing the 4th boss of Eden once per week. Not TOO difficult a task once you get used to the fight. :) This is the method I recommend since it is one fight once a week for four weeks and ~2.5 weeks worth of Phasma. I will describe below how to do it, since the process can be a little bit of a dance. If you choose to go with Titania Ex or the crafted weapon, feel free to skip this bit. :)

In addition it needs 10 of an item that you have to buy with 100 Tomestones of Phantasmagora (the higher end tomestone). You can only get 450 of those a week, but if you're doing all your roulettes and Eden runs (Eden runs, Extreme Titania/Innocence, and Expert roulette bosses all give you some, I believe), you should be able to get capped each week fairly easily. This means in three weeks you should have the 1,000 you need (100 per item x 10 items), and it'll be that long for you to get the 4 sword tokens anyway.

So now you have your 1,000 Phantasmagoria and 4 sword tokens. This next part isn't TOO hard, but it can be confusing for people not used to the dance, so I'll walk ya through it. :D

You'll go to Eulmore once again for this. Go to Aymark again, this time to the "Phantasmagoria (Other)" list, and buy 10x of Mowen's Tokens...UNLESS YOU ARE A PALADIN!! Each cost 100, so 1,000 Phantasmagoria gets you your 10. For PLD SPECIFICALLY, ONLY BUY 7. This is because you need only 7 for the sword. You spend 300 in the DoW Phantasmagoria item list to outright buy the shield. So buy your 7 and then buy your shield for 300. Trying to save my Pallybros some headaches here. ;)

With Mowen Tokens in hand, next go to Yhal Yal and to any of the first three (Edgengate Antique Exchange) options. Buy the item at the very bottom, "Lightweight Tomestone". Again, they each take the sword tokens to buy. You need 7 pre-5.1, but only need 4 post-5.1. (NOTE to anyone reading this that is sitting on 7+ right now, you should wait until after the patch to use them to buy your weapon as they'll go almost TWICE as far as right now! Seriously, you get 8 and you can buy two weapons!) It takes ONE Lightweight Tomestone per weapon. (Which is why 4 for 1 is a MUCH better deal than 7 for 1...)

Now you have all the pieces! Go to Fathard <Token Exchange>, the vendor between them in the middle of that long row of vendors. (This is also the NPC to see if you are trading Titania/Innocence tokens for gear). The option you want is "Deepshadow Gear Exchange". Here you trade in 10 of the Mowen's Tokens (7 for PLD) and 1 Lightweight Tomestone and get...your ilevel 460 weapon!

So...What next?

1. Keep grinding that Phantasmagoria! You can buy 460 pieces with it. If the patch is like previous expansions, there will also be upgrade items you can buy.
  2. The NieR raid will ALSO drop 460 pieces. NOTE: You can only get ONE 24 man raid piece PER WEEK. Not PER BOSS. Per...WEEK. So if you roll on a piece and win from the first boss, that's it for your entire week. Make sense? These should be either 460 or 465 pieces, probably 460 (they typically are equal to the upper tier Tomestone at the time.) The FINAL boss will drop a special token which can be used for upgrading 460 tomestone gear, but I don't want to go into that as it's not implemented yet, so I can't tell you what the item names are. Just keep it in mind. This will require ilevel 435 to enter, so shoot for that as soon as you can since these gear pieces are gated at 1 per week AND...let's face it, EVERYONE is going to be rolling on them! (Note that they will eventually lift this cap, but probably not until the next part of the raid comes out in 5.3...)EDIT2: Per the Preliminary Patch Notes, the item for completing the 24 man (one per week) is called "Manufactured Coin": "The Manufactured Coin can be exchanged with Fathard in Eulmore (X:10.2 Y:11.7) for items used to enhance equipment purchased with Allagan tomestones of phantasmagoria." So it will be used to upgrade those 460 Phanta pieces. Deepshadow Coating and Deepshadow Twine will be the upgrade items themselvse, and they can be purchased with the Manufactured Cons from Farthard as well as from the Hunt reward Sack of Nuts from Xylee in the Crystarium. :ENDEDIT2
  3. The new Ex trial will drop 460 or 465 (probably 465) ilevel weapons. The min ilevel for this trial will be 450, so be shooting for that. It's said that this one will be longer than average, so expect an epic experience (as if that final MSQ fight wasn't already epic enough!), and he will drop TWO totems per run due to the extra length. So if you can slug it through for the win, you get your weapons twice as fast vs Titania. And, of course, a microscopic chance at that sweet sweet drago mount! While Titania and Innocence will be moving to the standard Duty Finder, this trial will be under "High End", so you'll need a premade party or Party Finder one to try your luck.
  4. Eden Savage. Has higher level 470 gear (and 475 weapons!) that you get from it. They're the LOWER three options from Yahl Yal, if you want to go drool at them. You'll need a static or PF to do Savage as like the High End Trial, it isn't a standard Duty Finder option you can just que for. You'll need to party up.
  5. Hunts. I've never done a lot with hunts personally, but I know that as patches go on, things are buyable with their currency just as with tomestones, so it's something to keep in mind the next time your FC/friend asks if you want to join them to kill a S Rank Mark (you should say yes, btw - you also get tomestones!)
  6. Crafted gear upgrades. If you DO get crafted gear, it also gets upgrade paths. Again, something I haven't really done, but something to keep in mind if you're a gillionare and/or high level crafter yourself.
  7. Relic gear. I was late to the endgame in SB, so didn't ever get far into Eureka, but if past is prologue again, we'll be getting some kind of relic weapon and armor quests. These will PROBABLY use the 430 gear you got from the smith and you will upgrade them into more powerful, more glowy, and eventually dyable forms, though expect the grind to be real to get to that point, as is typical of relic items. As of yet, no plans have been announced regarding Relic gear, so stay tuned!
  8. New Dungeon. This slipped my mind before, but the new dungeon will be added in 5.1 that will drop dungeon gear. If past trends are good predictors, it will be 445 or 455 ilevel gear, like as not, allowing another avenue for farming gear. Of course, this ALSO requires 430 ilevel to enter, meaning you should want to be 430 ASAP just so you can finish 5.1's story. Something to keep in mind, but if you've followed the above stuff, you should already be there after your Edengrind. We know that the new dungeon will drop armor, as we've seen the models, but no data yet on if it will also drop accessories.

Phew! Hope that was...more helpful than overwhelming? XD

Summary:

430 gear from legendary smith + 430 accessories from Expert dungeons (requires ilevel 410 pre-5.1, 430 post-5.1)440 gear from Goetia tomestones450 gear from Eden (armor/accessories, req 425), Titania (weapon, req 430), Innocence (accessories, req 430)??455?? gear from the new dungeon (armor/accessories?, req 430)460 weapon from 1000 Phantasmagoria + 4 Eden final boss sword tokens (post-5.1)460 gear from Phatasmagoria tomestones460 gear from NieR 24 man raid, only ONE piece per week (req 435)465 weapon from new Ex Trial (req 450)470 gear/475 weapon from Eden Savage (req competent players XD)

Goals/Milestones:

1. Get 425 to get into Eden.
  2. Farm Eden for 450 gear. Get 4 tokens (takes 4 weeks) + 1000 Phantas (takes ~2.5 weeks) to buy weapon.
  3. You will want to be at least 430 ilevel so you can finish out the MSQ of 5.1, then 435 for the 24 man raid.
  4. Buy 460 with Phantas/win as loot from 24 man.
  5. Farm new Ex for 465 weapon/dragon (srlsy).
  6. Upgrade 460 Phantas gear with Manufactured Coins from completing runs of the the 24 man raid (one per week)/Sacks of Nuts from Hunts.
  7. Savage if you wanna.
  8. Profit. And don't forget to have fun out there!!

EDIT1: There's a quick summary and goal/milestones list at the bottom for people familiar with this dance. For total newbies to this endgame gearing thing, this first part is a more or less full walkthrough of what you need from where, including vendor names as applicable. (Also some minor typoes fixed...knew there would be SOME...) :ENDEDIT

EDIT2: Per the Preliminary Patch Notes, the item for completing the 24 man (one per week) is called "Manufactured Coin": "The Manufactured Coin can be exchanged with Fathard in Eulmore (X:10.2 Y:11.7) for items used to enhance equipment purchased with Allagan tomestones of phantasmagoria." So it will be used to upgrade those 460 Phanta pieces. Deepshadow Coating and Deepshadow Twine will be the upgrade items themselvse, and they can be purchased with the Manufactured Cons from Farthard as well as from the Hunt reward Sack of Nuts from Xylee in the Crystarium. :ENDEDIT2

EDIT3: More additions, particularly noting ilevel 430 should be a goal to finish the MSQ for 5.1 and that there will be a new dungeon with dungeon gear drops that can also be used to aid with gearing. Once I know their exact ilevel, I can update accordingly. :ENDEDIT3

EDIT4: 330...apparently I'm reliving the SB days! XD :ENDEDIT4

submitted by /u/Renathras
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back