Shield Blocks, prepatch occurance % (baseline)

Archain

Kitteh Paws
PLD shield block is pretty damn good, I'd love to see them beef it up even more and increase the chance one had at performing a shield block. I've got a few parses and even in this old system I'm impressed. I can't wait to see how much it'll increase in frequency after this update.

The purpose of this is to give a baseline shield block frequency to see how much the actual block occurance increases.

I'll include the parser pages where I get my numbers from, you shouldn't have a problem picking out the PLD in these, lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/11-08-2004.html

PLD had 1563 attacks made against him
PLD took 1096 attacks (70.12%)
PLD avoided 467 attacks total (29.87%)

of those 467 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 294 of them (293 avoids, 1 evade) (18.81%)
PLD parried 72 of them (4.61%)
PLD shield blocked 101 attacks with his shield (6.46%)

21.63% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/11-07-2004.html

PLD had 750 attacks made against him
PLD took 532 attacks (70.93%)
PLD avoided 218 attacks total (29.07%)

of those 218 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 134 of them (133 avoids, 1 evade) (17.87%)
PLD parried 34 of them (4.53%)
PLD shield blocked 50 attacks with his shield (6.67%)

22.94% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/01-15-2005.html

PLD had 986 attacks made against him
PLD took 661 attacks (67.04%)
PLD avoided 325 attacks total (32.96%)

of those 325 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 227 of them (225 avoided, 3 evaded) (23.02%)
PLD parried 47 of them (4.77%)
PLD shield blocked 50 attacks with his shield (5.07%)

15.38% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/10-12-2004.html

PLD had 766 attacks made against him
PLD took 522 attacks (68.15%)
PLD avoided 244 attacks total (31.85%)

of those 244 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 178 (176 avoided, 2 evaded) (23.24%)
PLD parried 31 of them (4.05%)
PLD shield blocked 35 attacks with his shield (4.57%)

14.34% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/10-13-2004.html

PLD had 1071 attacks made against him
PLD took 767 attacks (71.62%)
PLD avoided 304 attacks total (28.38%)

of those 304 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 212 (212 avoided) (19.79%)
PLD parried 43 of them (4.01%)
PLD shield blocked 49 attacks with his shield (4.58%)

16.12% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/10-18-2004.html

PLD had 1714 attacks made against him
PLD took 1177 attacks (68.67%)
PLD avoided 537 attacks total (31.33%)

of those 537 attacks avoided
PLD evaded 356 (356 avoided) (20.77%)
PLD parried 78 of them (4.55%)
PLD shield blocked 103 attacks with his shield (6.01%)

19.18% of the PLD's avoided attacks were due to shield blocks.

The current average appears to indicate the shield blocks account for around 15-20% of a PLD's avoided attacks. It looks like there's around a 5% chance to block with a shield when attacked.

I'm gonna need a PLD volunteer in order to take new parser readings for the purpose of measuring shield block percentages with the update. Here's hoping the update actually benefits the PLD with a dramatic increase in the shield block percentage.

I'll volunteer for Guinea pig if you help me find an Ice or Diamond Shield =) (yes I'll pay for it lol )

Unless I have something filtered that I didn't notice, the game no longer tells you when the shield blocks an attack, as far as I know.

I logged in right after the update and played as BST. In the first 15 minutes I gained almost two shield levels (prior to update I NEVER got a shield increase as BST) but it never once said that I blocked an attack like it did before the update. You can see the lower dmg, and I believe there is a sound effect associated, but:

1) I did not notice an animation, perhaps there was and I was preoccupied dying...

2) If it doesn't actually say in the log that you block an attack, it will be impossible to parse. /cry

The chance to block is definately increased, I took my "F" rated THF shield skill (gimped because I'll never really use it as THF/NIN) and raised it a few points from 61-66 just messing around in Quifim and CN. The skillups are fairly quick now, the damage is reduced by a percentage, but I've got no way to put a finger on the exact amount. I've not given parrying another skillup attempt yet, but soloing Flamingos and Korrigans seem to raise it the fastest from what I've seen (at the current skill level).

For some reason parrying went to 162 and I don't know when that happened (no +parry modifying gear on either). Have the other high parry jobs noticed an increase in the skillups of parry after the introduction of this patch?

Skills.JPG

Last edited:
I noticed my shield blocked as 50pld quite a bit, cant really call it a block though, more like deflection (thats what the animation looked like). Though it didn't say anything about the shield going off. My shield/parry is capped when I was capped (during prom-vazhl off your asses ppl!) and it went off alot, enough to be noted. Dropped the damage received from about 50ish->10ish. I dont think your spells are interrupted when your casting and blocked, not too sure about that though. I was also criticaled and 'deflected' it and took normal damage, that was pretty cool, lol.

So yeah, I am liking the new system. :rainbow-0

Back