September Version Update Preview (08/29/2008) [Chocobos, Storage, Fellows]

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
PlayOnline said:

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for more streamlined adventuring—the September version update is just around the corner! Continuing in the tradition of enhancing creature comforts in your Vana'dielian lifestyle, we're proud to introduce a number of adjustments and additions scheduled to take place.

Seal Storage

Previous version updates have ushered in numerous improvements to in-game storage, with the Mog Locker and the Mog Safe having been bestowed with increased capacity and several furnishings receiving enhancement tweaks thus far. But that's not all we have to offer!
In next month's update, the development team will take the hassle of storing beastmen's and Kindred's seals out of your hands, and put it into those of orb-dispensing NPC Shami. Through the natural course of gameplay, adventurers will come into possession of not inconsiderable quantities of the above mentioned seals which take up storage space like all other items. From the next version update, however, adventurers will no longer need to leave stacks of seals scattered about their Mog House, waiting to be stepped on by unwary guests to grimacing, painful results. So, whether you have just one or hundreds, swing over with all those cumbersome seals to see Shami at his usual hangout in Port Jeuno and he'll take care of the rest.

*Shami will hold onto seals traded to him with white-knuckled tenacity, but will gladly furnish adventurers with lovely orbs as recompense.

Getting Around in Past Vana'diel

At present, the dominant mode of transport in past Vana'diel is the teleportation service requiring payment in Allied Notes. However, the NPCs based in the three nations offering this service would prioritize their own safety and go into hiding during Campaign battles, greatly inconveniencing adventurers wishing to travel outside of town.

In addressing this issue, the development team has decided to bolster up these NPCs with a much-needed dose of courage so that they will no longer abandon their posts in the face of a beastman invasion.

In addition to the above, rental chocobos will finally be made available for use in areas introduced in the Wings of the Goddess expansion. Players who fulfill the three conditions below will be able to pay Allied Notes to rent a chocobo at their leisure, regardless of the current war climate:

1) Be level 20 or above.
2) Be in possession of a chocobo license.
3) Be affiliated with an allied nation.
*Please note that chocobo whistle usage and digging will not be possible in past Vana'diel.

More Fellows!

Fellows will be receiving tweaks and improvements for the second consecutive version update. On the menu of changes are new armor pieces and a simplified customization system that will allow greater ease in changing your fellow's attire to suit your needs. An exciting new chapter of adventuring with your fellow awaits you!

3634_9.jpg
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/3634/detail.html

Great news about seals for those of you with a buncha them! :D I only have like 10 of each, lol...

Thank God for past chocos and NPCs with a bigger dose of courage! o.o;;

Great, just what I needed lol, even less motivation to get rid of my BS/KS :[ well I guess I can't really complain about more storage, hehe, now I have no excuse for not getting elemental tools.

-benny

Donate your seals to me. 0:)

Even though they seem like small changes, that's pretty awesome. I know I'd free up at least 13 slots in storage with this.

I wasn't going to do a nation switch from Bastok in the past, I kinda did hate the fact that I couldn't teleport while the town was under a constant barrage of Campaign battles. This is another small change I'm really looking forward to. Maybe I can get out and actually make progress on a forward camp instead of being locked in the city.

The NPC change only really had me working on getting the points needed to get the feet matched up with the rest of the set and extending the time by 30 mins. If the new system allows me to lock in the national branch for armor change, it'll speed me up a little. I originally levelled it to allow me the ability to attempt solos on my THF, I've yet to really try anything because I was always focused on levelling it. One more set of summons and it should be capped and armor locked anyway.

Woot to the seals--I have 10-12 stacks of Beasts and three Kindred's... though, as Benny mentioned, I should just USE them--they're not gaining me gil or goodies by sitting in the MH or on a NPC.

Cool to Chocos too--though, quite honestly, I'm not sure when I'd use them. You can teleport most anywhere pretty quickly. The only advantage would be to get to the beastmen camps, but only if, as Wildarms mentioned, they put them at the recall crystals (and only La Vaule is a PITA to get to safely).

So, we have:

- Storage for seals
- Chocos in the past
- Mentoring (err.. level sync)
- Level syncing for gear (for when ET delevels mid fight)
- Updates to campaign, storyline, ranks, and country quests
- Updates to AV, PW, and JoL to make them "more killable"
- Merits for DNC and SCH
- Cheaper Dynamis and Limbus
- More drops in Dynamis (and Limbus?)
- Updates to Mythic weapons from Nyzul
- and ...? they always leave something out for a "surprise"

That seems like a LOT for a single update. I wonder what they'll drop to "have more testing time".

edit: reality

The "leave something out" and "surprise" will probably be one in the same. The surprise will probably be that September is really SE-speek for November.

I wonder if they'll have Chocobos at the Recall-telecrystals (Jugner, Pashh & Meriph).

That's a good question, but I think they'll save that for a later release.

They could surprise and do it, but something tells me not just yet.

I'm actually wondering how the chocobos will work out, as some of the zones seem to be cut off at different places. As if you're restricted to only a few spots.

ok, seriously. who the fuck broke SE? this isnt the "developement team" ive come to love and hate.(mainly hate, like i wanna stab them in the eyes and throw them in the middle of a mine-field) is this like a make-up for AV and PW getting bad press?

-ara

ok, seriously. who the fuck broke SE? this isnt the "developement team" ive come to love and hate.(mainly hate, like i wanna stab them in the eyes and throw them in the middle of a mine-field) is this like a make-up for AV and PW getting bad press?

-ara

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure it has to do with their 2008 annual report if you take a look at it. Their fiscal year just ended in March.Their offline game division has seen a reduction growth (-1.9%) whereas the online games has a compound annual growth rate of 23.8%.

Source[/URL]

While it falls very short behind offline game sales, it's still the second highest sales SE has, and growing. And I have a sneaky suspicion "Rapture" isn't going as smoothly as planned, or they'd be teasing us with it more. So with overall sales and stocks down and online games as one of the few growing areas, I'm sure the higher ups are saying, "I don't care what the fuck you have to do. Keep them paying." And so they can't keep their snooty "You're doing it wrong," attitude they've had for the past 5 years.

Such is my cynical guess anyway. Especially with Mog Bonanza being announced in April (right after year ended) and all these new awesome changes. How many awesome changes do we have prior to April? I'm too lazy to go through all their news history...

P.S.
- Level syncing for gear (for when ET delevels mid fight)

LMFAO! I laughed so hard, my coworkers think I lost it.

Last edited:
More drops in Dynamis (and Limbus?)
And at least at this point, this includes not just more AF2 drops in certain Dynamis areas (I'm looking at you, Northlands), but also includes AF2 for BLU/COR/PUP.

All your PUP AF2 are belong to me!

All your PUP AF2 are belong to me!

Yel and I already discussed this. Since no one wants Pup af2 armor we will take all that drops and give it to DL. He will run away in disgust droping Shadow mantles and rings for everyone.

Last edited:
also includes AF2 for BLU/COR/PUP.

Ya know, I never thought of it like that. "Increasing drops in Dynamis" doesn't necessarily mean frequency or such--it could just mean that now there are 18~ more potential AFs to drop in the pool.

So, after Varda has her fill of PUP... that's all that will drop in Xarca.

Another nice update. I can probably keep gear for another job on my main by storing seals!

Back