SE does something RIGHT for once!

Fodder

Ultima Legacy
I made sure to highlight the important part below http://www.playonline.com/cis/us/

Encrypted Security Token Provides Additional Protection to FINAL FANTASY XI Players

LOS ANGELES (March 24, 2009) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America, today announced the upcoming launch of the Square Enix Account System and Square Enix Security Token in Japan, North America and Europe on April 7, 2009 PDT. Offering additional account safeguards to players of FINAL FANTASY® XI, these new initiatives provide for a higher level of account security. The new system will utilize the Square Enix Security Token, which will be available to purchase for $9.99 via the PlayOnline® Viewer.

Creating a Square Enix Account is free and can be done by anyone via the official Square Enix website. With this new system in place beginning April 7, 2009 PDT, Square Enix Accounts will be compatible with FINAL FANTASY XI and PlayOnline, as well as future online services.

After registering a Square Enix Account and purchasing the Square Enix Security Token, players can then assign the token to their PlayOnline ID(s). Using the token will generate a one-time password every 30 seconds for the account. Implementation of these new features is an extension of Square Enix’s commitment to continuous service for our customers.

Additionally, players who purchase a security token will also receive the brand new in-game bonus, the “Mog Satchel.” The “Mog Satchel” provides additional inventory space and benefits all characters on the PlayOnline account(s). The space provided by the “Mog Satchel” is equal to the character’s Gobbiebag capacity and can expand along with it. In order to utilize the bonus, it will be necessary for the customer’s PlayOnline ID to be linked to a Square Enix Account.

Square Enix Account

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 align=left border=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left width="26%" _extended="true">Registration Launch:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle width="2%" _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left width="72%" _extended="true">April 7, 2009 (Mon)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Registration Location:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Square Enix website</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Compatible Services (Initial):</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">FINAL FANTASY XI, PlayOnline</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Square Enix Security Token

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 align=left border=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left width="20%" _extended="true">Release Date:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle width="2%" _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left width="78%" _extended="true">April 7, 2009 (Mon)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Price:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">$9.99(Includes tax and shipping)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Where to Purchase:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Available for purchase via the PlayOnline Viewer</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top _extended="true"><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">Bonus with Purchase:</TD><TD class=tx1 align=middle _extended="true">-</TD><TD class=tx1 align=left _extended="true">The ”Mog Satchel” will be included as an in-game bonus for FINAL FANTASY XI players who purchase a security token(*1). The “Mog Satchel” will provide up to 80 additional inventory slots and can be accessed anywhere whether the player is in the Mog House or out adventuring in Vana’diel®. (*2)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*1 It is required for the PlayOnline ID to be linked to the Square Enix Account that has a security token associated.
*2 The space provided by the Mog Satchel is equal to the character’s Gobbiebag capacity.

Ok, this makes up for LOLjobchangesparttwo.

I'll definately be getting this.

I didn't expect an inventory increase that large, I know I'll fill it with crap just like the personal inventory, Mog Safe, and Storage...but I wonder what I'll be inclined to keep now.

lol you've got to be shitting me..I gotta use a new password every time I log in to get the increased inv space? :(

That's pretty hot. We were planning on getting the tokens anyway but this seals it.

Vasco PR said:
OAKBROOK TERRACE, Ill., and ZURICH, Switzerland, March 31, 2009 -- VASCO Data Security International, Inc. (Nasdaq: VDSI) (www.vasco.com), a leading software security company specializing in authentication products, announced today that its DIGIPASS® GO6 and VACMAN® Controller strong authentication solution will authenticate users attempting to access the content and services of Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix) including massively multiplayer online role-playing game FINAL FANTASY® XI. Square Enix is a major video game company based in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan.

FINAL FANTASY XI will be the first online game in Japan to use one-time password security. On April 7, 2009, Square Enix plans to begin offering user authentication using this technology to users who purchase VASCO’s authentication devices.

Research conducted by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, released in February 2009 reported 2,289 cases of fraudulent access to online services during 2008, an increase of about 26% over the previous year. The majority (1,559 cases) were fraud involving online auctions, followed by fraud involving online games (457 cases).

Until now, Square Enix security initiatives included the use of user IDs and fixed passwords, and user education on online security regarding user ID and password management. Square Enix decided to enhance unauthorized access countermeasures by adopting VASCO’s DIGIPASS GO6 & VACMAN strong authentication solution to authenticate users of FINAL FANTASY XI in Japan, North America and Europe.

Square Enix will distribute VASCO’s DIGIPASS GO 6 authenticators which will be used by FINAL FANTASY XI game players when logging in to the game. By using the one-time password (OTP) generated by DIGIPASS for logging in to the game, unauthorized access to the account will be virtually become non-existent and the security of the account will be enhanced considerably. FINAL FANTASY XI can be accessed from console games PlayStation®2 and Xbox 360®, and from Windows® PCs, and users will be able to use the one-time password for access to the game from any of these devices. On the server side, VACMAN Controller, VASCO’s authentication software which is used by many financial organizations worldwide, was adopted.

“In the light of growing concerns about online fraud involving online games, online auctions and online shopping, VASCO believes that over the next few years demand for one-time password solutions to enhance online security will increase significantly, leading to further the market growth for its solutions,” stated Jan Valcke, VASCO’s President and COO.

See http://www.vasco.com/digipass-go6 for a high-resolution picture of DIGIPASS GO6.

To request a photo of the fully customized version for Square Enix, please contact Square Enix.

http://www.vasco.com/about/press/fullstory.html?press=679

ok.. so you go out of town for a couple weeks, how does your friend log you in for an event?! ;)

Don't share account info. :)

And there is still the possibility of an enable/disable feature that's not been said as of yet.

I'll have a clear inbox.... for a week or two.... OMG!!

I'm half afraid this is an April Fools joke. It's too good.

I wish shipping of this could start today.

That's pretty hot. We were planning on getting the tokens anyway but this seals it.

This.

/ingamebonuswhore

See, Redd? Now I can carry ALL my PLD gear swaps AND have that extra space! :D

wait, wait... All characters on the account? so all the mules get the spaces too? .... my poor overloaded mules get more space???

I need to wait til I'm awake to read things...[STRIKE] I think we're getting 3 of these hun, one for the mule account too.[/STRIKE] never mind we're just assigning the mule account to one of ours because you can add multiple accounts to one token....

The “Mog Satchel” will provide up to 80 additional inventory slots and can be accessed anywhere whether the player is in the Mog House or out adventuring in Vana’diel®.http://www.playonline.com/cis/us/

Does this mean.........we'll have 160 (assuming they release the new moghouse expansion this update as well) slots running around with us wherever we go? Accessed anywhere wether you're in your mog house or out in vana'diel....really? This can't be right, I must be misunderstanding something somewhere.

That's what it means. The Sachet will probably be storage, so you can't put swap gear, or medicine/NIN tools/etc that you are going to use in it, but you can toss any gear for your second job in there (like my RDM stuff when I'm on DRG) or crap you farm up or whatever.

They say it can be accessed in the field, so meds/etc would be legit. However, I doubt you can equip items from it, so gearsets for swapping in battle would probably be a no-no. I wonder if drops will auto-fall to the satchel when your bag is full?

Probably not, but with being able to keep so much of what you are carrying around in the satchel you shouldn't get full up on your bag as easy, and then just drop stuff over to the satchel until you get to town and sell it.

ok.. so you go out of town for a couple weeks, how does your friend log you in for an event?! ;)

I was thinking about this, too. I'm supposing if I knew I'd absolutely need someone to log me in at a certain time, I'd probably just carry the token with my keys or something, and say the generated p/w over the phone. It's an awful lot of trouble to go through, though. Especially if we only have like..30 seconds to enter the p/w. lol

But that's just me, a lot of people have entrusted me with their acct info for 1 reason or another.

BTW: How would I go and update my membership information if the p/w chances every half a minute? If I logged onto POL with the intention of changing CC or address or something, would I then have to write down the p/w I used to log onto POL with to log into the membership area?? It just occured to me. lol

I'm sure they have some way to do it- everyones CC expires and they want you to keep on paying.

Back