Resume (Not really a rant)

Heie

Freefaller
FC/Active Member
Didn't see any other place to put this so I thought here would be best.

I want to get my resume updated. I'm sure by now everyone has seen my horrible grammer and spelling. With that being said I don't want to do it myself. I had a friend who did a fantastic job years ago but she said she is too busy to give it any attention. I also tried a resume services last year but that was basically throwing 90 dollars down the drain. I could have done a better job then they did.

With that said does anyone know any resume services (that you have exp with only please) that have done a good job. Or do you know anyone or any ultima members that would like to do it? I would of course pay the going rate for anyone that wants to do it on the side.

Just reply here or PM if you have any info that would be helpful.
Thanks

I've helped lots of friends with their resumes. If nothing else, would have correct spelling, grammar and punctuation ^_^ (linguistics major ftw). The resume is the easy part. The hard part is the cover letter. What kind of a job are you looking for? Do you have anywhere particular you're looking to apply to?

You need to visit monster. They give the latest format, etc. that people are looking to see as well as provide pointers. Once you get your format/content down then bother with someone checking tense, grammar, etc. Save the word smithing for the last step.

View attachment 181

Here is my resume without my current job.

I'm looking to stay in IT but want to get out of healthcare.

I'll check out monster tonight fodder. Thanks

Last edited:
The only advice I can give is that you might want to put Vista in there, regardless if your'e skilled in it or not (its just a pretty version of XP, they'll never know the difference).

From what I see you've kept it short and sweet, exactly like it should be. We recently had our job fair here at Cal Poly, and they (a guy who does interviews for Boeing) told us only one page, which you've done. References available upon request is another thing he told us to do, which you've done.

Your grammer looks good, spelling checks out fine. My only suggestion would be down in your certification section, to be a bit more specific if possible. Certified by Dell in what? Unless thats the certification, just straight Dell. The Microsoft cert is probably fine by itself.

Overall, I have to say I'm extremely impressed by this resume (makes mine look like shit). Its very informative (your qualifications section is extremely well written). Good luck on getting your new job!

I've worked in IT for a long time and one thing I've learned, both in my own job hunts as well as interviewing people and seeing their resumes, is that you want your resume to be short, to the point, and as informative and possible. I've seen resumes for candidates that I was to interview where every single job had it's own page. They would write entire paragraphs about one little task that they did. OTOH, the standard "no more than 1 page" rule is a little dated. I woouldn't live by that rule anymore personally, and most other professionals I know say the same. Don't leave out information just so you can get it down to 1 page.

One thing I caught onto in writing my own resumes is that you want one section that basically contains a list of skills that contains no explanations, no nothing. Just a list. HR people are looking for keywords, some companies get hundreds of resumes per day and they want to spend as little time filtering out bad resumes (or just resumes that don't necessarily fit the requirements of the job) as they can.

In your own resume I notice the Computer Skills and Proficiencies section. That's a good start, but try to expand that more. For example, maybe think about merging your Summary of Qualifications and Computer Skills and Proficiencies section into one bigger list that contains everything in a format that the person reading the resume can eyeball and gather the necessary information in about 3 seconds. Try to add more stuff in there. For example, in your Employment section you list Active Directory skills but Active Directory is NOT listed in Computer Skills and Proficiencies.

Your Employment section looks perfect. Add a slash between XP and 2003 though. In your trainings and certification section maybe list the specific certifications you've gotten, not just generic categories.

I attached my own resume if you want something to compare to, since we're both in IT the format / etc should be applicable.

GL

Attachments

• Resumes.doc
    77 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back