Racing Choco

Nekio

{Gilfinder}
I'm looking for help raising a racing choco. I spoke with Sass about it already, but figured having it all in writing would be more organized and helpful. Here's what I'm looking for:

*Innate Gallop
*Preferably non-yellow, though color isn't important
*Learned Canter or Auto-Regen (which is better for racing?)
*First-class STR/END
*Average DIS/REC

My plan is to hatch at max affection, and begin by pushing intelligence training with music and Zegham carrots, until "Average" DIS.

Once I have my two abilities, I'm going to try to flip to a physical personality and max out STR/END. I'll then start the bird on package duty, and walks on the side, with Vomp carrots until maxed.

During the entire raising process, I'd like to send the bird to Camp Kweh as often as possible for additional stat boosts. I'll also feed one green a day to maintain affection. During raising and after retirement, I will be spending Chocobucks on training tokens for additional stat boosts.

Help me out! Sass is the resident expert, so I'd appreciate any tips/pointers, especially in regards to what I can expect with the timing of all this. I'm not sure exactly how the switch from mental to physical will go, so any help there would also be appreciated. Finally, I need a bird to be raised at the same time as me, so that I can head to Camp Kweh with them. Maybe I could borrow Kronix for that?

Let me know!

I'm looking for help raising a racing choco. I spoke with Sass about it already, but figured having it all in writing would be more organized and helpful. Here's what I'm looking for:

*Innate Gallop
*Preferably non-yellow, though color isn't important
*First-class STR/END
*Average DIS/REC

My plan is to hatch at max affection, and begin by pushing intelligence training with music and Zegham carrots, until "Average" DIS.

Once I have my two abilities, I'm going to try to flip to a physical personality and max out STR/END. I'll then start the bird on package duty, and walks on the side, with Vomp carrots until maxed.

During the entire raising process, I'd like to send the bird to Camp Kweh as often as possible for additional stat boosts. I'll also feed one green a day to maintain affection. During raising and after retirement, I will be spending Chocobucks on training tokens for additional stat boosts.

Help me out! Sass is the resident expert, so I'd appreciate any tips/pointers, especially in regards to what I can expect with the timing of all this. I'm not sure exactly how the switch from mental to physical will go, so any help there would also be appreciated. Finally, I need a bird to be raised at the same time as me, so that I can head to Camp Kweh with them. Maybe I could borrow Kronix for that?

Let me know!

I got Gallop 99% of the time with my 2 reds together, plan didn't seem to matter.

Gonna suggest Auto-Regen for learning, Elvi had great results with that ability. Might have been due to their extra stamina to get more activies in, or it could have been personality + ability.
Also, only need level below Average to learn Auto-Regen and only DIS from what I recall. I had Auto-Regen learned most times before they were day 29.

***Important*** Lock the personality at enigmatic! (This is my opinion based on trying to flip myself.) Any of the other personalities did not take well to the flip & never maxed out on the opposite stats. e.g. DIS/REC to STR/END or the other way. They just hated the other so much that they were constantly sick, very detrimental to maxing out stats as you have to slow down programs and/or your affection gets bad.

my 2 cents.

How/when do I go about locking the personality? Enigmatic is the DIS personality right? And if I lock it on Enigmatic, won't I have difficulty maxing out STR/END after getting my abilities?

Sorry for all the questions, my current bird is max STR/END with no DIS/REC or abilities, and gets smoked every time on the circuit.

The personality is locked in based on what care plans you choose when they're younger. For example when I had mine on plans to up disc and recep, I got a bit too much discernment and it grew up sensitive. This is terrible for flipping btw. His STR and Endurance built SO SLOWLY.

The easiest way to get abilities is have them bred in honestly. The method of starting them smart to learn then flipping them physical for racing can actually be quite difficult.

I'm looking for:
*Innate Gallop

That would total out to 3 abilities. I apologize if my knowledge is outdated, but I believe that's impossible. If you have it learn canter and auto regen, I think one of them will overwrite the gallop. I have never seen auto-regen affect racing (I have a red male that I race with gallop and auto regen). The auto regen seems to affect only raising in which you get extra energy per day to do things.

My personal opinion for racing would be gallop and canter. If you are limited to 2 abilities that is.

During raising and after retirement, I will be spending Chocobucks on training tokens for additional stat boosts.
The tokens cannot be used when retired. And I believe they either won't take effect (or have very tiny effect) after day 64 or such. Training plans don't seem to work so hot after that either. Btw, it takes 7 or 8 stat ups to get a level.

If I was raising a racing chocobo, I'd probably go for listening to music till adolescent and then carrying packages till str/end maxes (delivering messages never really worked for me, it hurt the affection too much), and use tokens for the mental stats. You won't get the pretty extra features with that though since the stats won't be average by day 29. It's estimated to take 2000-3000 tokens to get a good racing chocobo. So better start working on those before it's even born. :tounge-1:

Edit addy: I believe personality locks when it reaches adolescence, and can be swapped by feeding carrots on the days it says something about the choco being receptive or something... been too long and my notes file got corrupted a while back ^^;; I'm sure Sassakitteh knows the exact message.

Last edited:
Personalities:
The key thing to accomplish in Chick phase is developing the personality you need in order to get the best results for which type of chocobo you're aiming.
  • ???: Easygoing
  • STR: Ill-Tempered
  • END: Patient
  • DIS: Sensitive
  • REC: Enigmatic
Perky days:
Your opportunity to switch your chick's personality.
  • Feed Parasite worm to flip personalities from/to Physical (STR/END) to/from Mental(DIS/REC).
  • Feed Parasite worm to get away from Easygoing personality.
  • Feed Z.carrot to move from/to DIS to/from REC.
  • Feed V.carrot to move from/to STR to/from END.
Copied from here: Sass' Chocobo observations (A mini-guide)
*on Perky day don't feed any carrots (greens only) if you want to keep personality the same as it is currently!

Personality is locked at day 19

Sharain said:
The tokens cannot be used when retired. And I believe they either won't take effect (or have very tiny effect) after day 64 or such. Training plans don't seem to work so hot after that either. Btw, it takes 7 or 8 stat ups to get a level.
I think you're thinking of the Chocobuck training programs, which require the bird to be non-retired, but I'm referring to these tokens which seem to be able to be used at any time once the choco is an adult. Regardless, I could svae up 'bucks and use them while the bird is still in the stables all at once. Also, I assume you meant 2000-3000 'bucks, not tokens :p I can easily get 30 'bucks a day, for about 5k gil, so I should be able to save up the necessary amount in 3 months, for less than 500k gil.

I assume the best course be to push mental stats hard while a chick until I get "Enigmatic", and towards the end of the chick phase, before day 19, flip to Ill-Tempered when I can? Once I flip to "Ill-Tempered", is it a waste to keep pushing mental stats?

I think I'm going to go for Canter and Gallop, since in theory I can correct any deficiencies in stats with 'bucks training in the long run. Since Canter requires Average DIS to learn, and is given by Brutus, I think I'm going to shoot for innate Canter and then teach Gallop. Think you'd be able to help me out with a Canter egg, Sass?

My plan is coming together I think... the final product that I'm shooting for will have Canter/Gallop, First-class STR/END, Average DIS/REC. I think that is the max you can do for stats, even with Chocotrains. Any more thoughts/ideas?

I think you're thinking of the Chocobuck training programs, which require the bird to be non-retired, but I'm referring to these tokens which seem to be able to be used at any time once the choco is an adult. Regardless, I could svae up 'bucks and use them while the bird is still in the stables all at once. Also, I assume you meant 2000-3000 'bucks, not tokens :p I can easily get 30 'bucks a day, for about 5k gil, so I should be able to save up the necessary amount in 3 months, for less than 500k gil.

I assume the best course be to push mental stats hard while a chick until I get "Enigmatic", and towards the end of the chick phase, before day 19, flip to Ill-Tempered when I can? Once I flip to "Ill-Tempered", is it a waste to keep pushing mental stats?

I think I'm going to go for Canter and Gallop, since in theory I can correct any deficiencies in stats with 'bucks training in the long run. Since Canter requires Average DIS to learn, and is given by Brutus, I think I'm going to shoot for innate Canter and then teach Gallop. Think you'd be able to help me out with a Canter egg, Sass?

My plan is coming together I think... the final product that I'm shooting for will have Canter/Gallop, First-class STR/END, Average DIS/REC. I think that is the max you can do for stats, even with Chocotrains. Any more thoughts/ideas?

Gah.. I don't remember when you can start teaching stories, but enigmatic REC isn't going to hurt you in raising the STR/END track, still raises fast. Ill-tempered however hates to learn & might have trouble if you want to raise DIS/REC.

Canter egg, get Female egg from Elvi & breed for her stats with my blue male, get about 50/50 auto-regen or canter. If you're lucky, canter first time out!

I've never even seen those tokens Nekio... tried looking up Wikipedia stuff about racing, but it just wouldn't go anywhere. >.> Those are sweet, do they raise the stats faster than level every 7-8 sessions?

Back