PC not connecting to the internet...

onorok

O N O
So I was on for Limbus tonight for about 10~15 minutes and then I R0'd out. There were two things I did earlier today that I had never done though, and I do not know if they relate to my problem:
  1. Instead of just letting the PC go to the screensaver and sleep while I was at work, I put it on Stand-By mode before going to work.
  2. I swapped some game .DATs.
Anyways, I power-cycled the modem and router, and then restarted the PC. The PC booted up, but when my desktop appears I got two error messages:
  • "Can't open kernel driver asLM75.sys"
  • "Can't load AsmiHwIo.dll"
I thought maybe the modem & router were still down, but my PS2 got online with no problem and my Mac is online, no problem.

So now I am on the Mac trying to figure out what is wrong. I googled both error messages, and have since uninstalled the Asus Probe program because a few sites said that might be the problem... did not help. Then some sites said to unistall the driver, which I did. No help. Then I deleted it and dropped another one on the PC. No help.

At this point I have problem done more harm to the PC and I do not know what to do. If any more information is needed (system stuff, etc.), please let me know. Thanks.

The ASUS Proble stuff should not affect your connection to the internet.

If you put your computer into Stand-By mode, the power settings for the NIC may have gotten goofed.

1. Make sure you have link lights on the back of your computer (from the network cable port to the router and/or modem.)
(if you dont have link lights, check your cable or continue down this list)

2. Make sure Windows has not disabled or powered down your NIC by going into your system properties and right-clicking on your network adapter.

3. Disable the option in the NIC Configuration where it "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

4. *If* by chance Windows has disabled the device, re-enable it of course.

nicpwrsave.jpg

This is the first thing I could think of that would do that sort of thing. The ASUS probe should not affect this part of the computer.... but who knows.

Give it a shot and see.

The ASUS Proble stuff should not affect your connection to the internet.

If you put your computer into Stand-By mode, the power settings for the NIC may have gotten goofed.

I am going to guess this is what happened, since the Stand-By thing is something I never touched before today. But I don't get why I was able to get on when the PC first came out of Stand-By, but then 10~20 minutes later the internet connection stops working.

I went through your troubleshooting steps:
  1. Make sure you have link lights on the back of your computer (from the network cable port to the router and/or modem.)

(if you dont have link lights, check your cable or continue down this list)

It has a link light, it is solid orange.
  2. Make sure Windows has not disabled or powered down your NIC by going into your system properties and right-clicking on your network adapter.

I am using Windows XP. Went to System Properties from the Start menu, then on the window that popped up I went to the Hardware tab, and in the Device Manager section I clicked on the button Device Manager.

The list is a little different from what your screenshot had, but I went down to Network adapters and the icon for the 1394 Net Adapter that was listed had a red X on it, so I right clicked and Enabled it.

Clicking on the Properties from the right-click menu brought up a window with only three options: General, Driver and Details. There was no option for the Power Management.

However, there was a second device listed under Network adapters: NVIDA nForce Networking Controller. The Properties for this one brought up a window similar to your screen shot, and it had a Power Management tab.
  3. Disable the option in the NIC Configuration where it "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Could not do this for the 1394, but I did it for the NVIDA one.
  4. *If* by chance Windows has disabled the device, re-enable it of course.

Enabled the 1394 network adapter, but I do not know if that was correct.
Thanks for your help on this Aang.

1394 is Firewire and most likely, you are not using it.

I am guessing with the above notes, nothing changed?

I find it odd that the connection just "stops working" after 20min.

The worst case scenario is that the port has just physically gone bad or the network patch cord just decided to quit. (even with a bad patch cable, you can get link lights.)

The last few things you can do that I can think of are:

1. Completely power-drain the system, pull the power plug then pressing your power button to drain any stored energy in the capacitors. Thus flushing out everything power related and starting from a fresh power injection.

2. Uninstall and resinstall your network drivers.

3. Check your BIOS settings, reset if necessary and if you know what you are doing.

Lastly, you don't have ANY connection to the internet right?

1. See if you can ping your router, usually 192.168.1.1 or some variant.
2. If that works, then um, it's something else OTHER than the PC.
3. I'm stumped at that point if that's the case and you've already power cycled the router and modem.

I forget how PC savvy you are Onorok, I think you are, so I assume you know everything else you could have or should have done up to this point. (i.e. other stupid software blocking your connection.)

You know, Stand-by or hibernation on desktop PC's have never worked well for me. Something always gets courrupted or it just does not come up correctly. My current laptop and the one prior worked perfectly, strange.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

-Aa

I forget how PC savvy you are Onorok, I think you are, so I assume you know everything else you could have or should have done up to this point. (i.e. other stupid software blocking your connection.)

You know, Stand-by or hibernation on desktop PC's have never worked well for me. Something always gets courrupted or it just does not come up correctly. My current laptop and the one prior worked perfectly, strange.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

-Aa

I'm not very PC savvy, but I can articulate my issues and find ideas/solutions.

I let the PC sit shut-down for a little since I responded, so I just saw your follow-up and tried the power flush. The PC is back online, not sure how or why exactly, but thanks for looking at the problem and walking me through the troubleshooting.

I'm not very PC savvy, but I can articulate my issues and find ideas/solutions.
That's already better than 90% of the population. ^_^;;

Back