NYS DMV can't get anything right..

Fiko

Fikowned
FC/Active Member
So, about a month ago I got my NY state driver's license renewed. I'll get a new one in the mail in two weeks, cool beans.

Two weeks go by, and I get a letter from DMV of NY. Doesn't feel like there's a license enclosed.. I open it..

"At this time, we are unable to provide you with the license, permit, or ID card you recently requested because of a problem in our photo finishing process. However, we have updated our computer records to show your most recent transaction.

Because we want you to be pleased with the quality of your photo, we must re-take your picture. There will NOT be a charge for this, and you may have your picture taken at any of our offices."

Ok, no problem. Computers are fluky, problems happen.. I totally understand. Hell, I work with computers on a daily basis, it happens.

I go to the local DMV office (which is not cool, it's out of the way in the midst of one-way streets that I oh-so-hate). They keep telling everyone "our computers are running slow so there may be a long wait." Again, computer issues are totally understandable, it might not even be on their end. Almost my turn.. I take a look at this letter I'm supposed to show them.. I need ID.. and this is one of the rare occurances where I left my wallet in my car.. with my ID.

So run to my car, get my ID, come back to a spot even further back in the line with the slow-running computers. There were only two people in front of me, but with the amount of time it took for each person.. it must've been 20 minutes before I finally got a turn. They took my picture, I'll have my new driver's license in 2 weeks. Awesome!

Two weeks later (today). Interesting, mail from DMV. Interesting... it.. doesn't feel like there's any sort of identification card in there..

Yes, same freakin letter..

I'm just glad I'll be in the area tomorrow when I have my eye doctor appointment, but they will not be happy to see me..

In writing this though, I'm curious, has anyone else had similar problems? Or is my face so horrifying that the cameras glitch? If this happens again, I'm going to be like, dude.. use my old photo. I don't care if it's out of date, you guys can't get anything right apparently...

I mean, come on, between "computer issues" and "you must have your photo retaken" this is getting very frustrating... just needed to vent somewhere, and nobody's answering my calls lol.

I'm fearing renewing my license, but I have to get it done... I'm at the point where I can't get in certain clubs because I let it expire :/ And they think its fake cuz its from IL and I'm in CT. lol.

Hoping CT isn't as bad as NY right next door /panic

haha yeah, it sucks too.. had to pay $50 originally, which apparently they haven't used yet since they have not generated any sort of valid ID for me.

Hell, I don't even care so much about the ID, I don't go to clubs, I don't drink, I don't smoke.. I just use it when I get stopped on the road by a cop.. or sometimes they'll ID me if I'm trying to get into an R-rated movie. I even got ID'd when I bought RE4 a year or two ago.

*scratches head* I guess I do need it. But the temporary IDs I keep getting should validate my photo ID. Just really don't want to go to DMV every two weeks and wait in line to get my picture taken.

I just got my license renewed a couple of months ago. Went to the local BMV waited 5 minutes, give them my information, took the eye test, had my picture taken, and got my new license all in the span of about 15-20 minutes. Afterwards I had dinner in the cafe that's next door. I don't understand why you didn't get the license when you went to the branch. Oh, Indiana, btw.

Here in KS, we get a "receipt" that has our photo and ID number on it and we keep that until it arrives in the mail. The bad deal is that the photo is like 4"x4" and usually quite scary.

Never had any glitches like that--though our throughput here in a year is probably what it is in a day in NY. :D Good luck!

I just got my license renewed a couple of months ago. Went to the local BMV waited 5 minutes, give them my information, took the eye test, had my picture taken, and got my new license all in the span of about 15-20 minutes. Afterwards I had dinner in the cafe that's next door. I don't understand why you didn't get the license when you went to the branch. Oh, Indiana, btw.

damn, that's one hell of a better system than they have here. they do the eye test, take your picture, and like what ehon said, they give us a temporary license, which is just a piece of paper to keep you good until you receive the real thing in the mail in two weeks. or in my case, 6 weeks if i'm lucky.

When they take your Photo here in Australia for renewing your licence you get your new licence in 5 minutes >.> handed to you over the counter!

But same old waiting in queue.

@Def-

They stopped that here 3-4 years ago due to cost. Centralizing the production of the cards meant only one location needed the equipment, materials, etc. Because of it, our licenses are now free (were 8.00$USD) and are on 10 year renewals.

I just moved too and rather than get a new license, I just submitted my ID online with a change of address and printed out the update... I'm supposed to simply carry that until I get a new renewal (which is in 2012). Apparently, that updated everything because I received a new voter's card (I moved intrastate, but to a new county) in the mail yesterday.

It may be nice to get it the same day, but if things can be automated and the system works (or just doesn't hate Fiko), then it's not to shabby.

$8?? I have to pay $50 ;;

NY so unfair!

@Ehon

State i'm in has a Green(learners), Black, Silver, Gold licence. It's like a ranking system really depending on how long you've been driving for and de-merits etc.

Some other states have just one type of licence. It's different depending on where you live.

Now i think aus is backwards after reading what you had to say Ehon =\

What the hell is a drivers license? We just tie our horses up to the nearest tree or saloon here in Texas.

TX Drivers License

In TX the drivers license is a Colt Automatic and instructions to shoot first.

Texas Pre-War Colt Automatic Pistols

The Great State of Texas has always been well known as the final destination for some of the finest and most desirable Colt firearms. From the Walker Colt to the Single Action Army, many famous soldiers, lawmen and outlaws alike have all relied on Colt firearms.
From the early 1900s, Colt Automatic Pistols have also played a part in Texas history.

@Def-

We have a single license, though our "learner's permits" (age 16-18) are a vertical rather than horizontal for easy recognition. We also have "farm permits" for kids who live in the county. Those of us, myself included, started driving at 13. :D Farm permits are the same as a learner's, but at a younger age. Though, at the time, I grew up 1/10th of a mile from the city limits of the largest city in the state.

Hah for zoning.

They talked about implementing a "quick glance" system such as colors or license backgrounds, but deemed it cost prohibitive. Some of that's probably due to demographics as we have counties, especially in western Kansas, with literally only a few dozen people in the entire county.

@Fiko-

50$ buys you what? Do you guys pay for your emissions checks too? That's free here too.

where I am the DMV is filled with really nice small town employees who keep free cookies on the counter for people. Also there are never any customers because more people get boat licenses here than auto licenses. They take your picture, make you fill out a form and pay 1 dollar for the card fee. Whole process takes no more than 10 minutes and you leave with a smile on your face.

Just 15 minutes away from me its a totally different story. The employees are people who hate their life and feel the only way to ease their pain is to have control over their lines. The place smells like urine from the homeless guy laying down on the only row of chairs in the building, and the cop that works there is suspiciously eying YOU down instead of the guy near you whos talking about how he just got out of the slammer after his 10th DUI and somehow found a loophole to getting another go at a license. When you finally get up there the angry employee makes you sit on a urine soaked chair (from previously mentioned homeless guy) in front of an oddly stained blue blanket background where they take the a snapshot and probably secretly photoshop it to create the worst pictures known to man. Then they give you a clipboard and a form and make you wait in ANOTHER line of 100 people who are at this point just as mentally fatigued as me and are shuffling their feet like a nursing home medicine line. Finally, they give you your license and charge you 15 dollars somehow which I dont understand cause it should all cost the same in the same state, ya? All of this happening while days of our lives is blaring on the crappy TV thats so small you cant see anything anyway. The whole process...probably 2 and a half hours, all standing. But at least you feel like you just escaped from hell as soon as you open the doors and breathe fresh air for the first time since before you can even remember at this point.

The Moral of the story? Pick out a different DMV, preferably near suburbia.

$50 and they have to mail it to you? That sucks.

I think the Oregon licenses are $12 for 8 years and they're done right in the office. The ones in California were done the same way when I was there.

yep, NY state is always trying to empty your wallet somehow it seems..

anyway, i got my picture taken again and they said it might have been rejected because of my glasses.. may had produced a glare, which they don't like, since they like your eyes to be visible. So this time, no glasses... if it doesn't work this time, I really don't know what to say.. lol.

Back