Non-Windower Remote Desktop Connection Launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chistik

Non-Validated User
I think it was mentioned by another member a few threads down about having some sort of hotkey to use while in full screenmode without using
a windower program or even having a remote system do the parsing via
a networked machine.

I guess my question is this, if you have a networked machine, is it possible
to just do a remote desktop connection via another computer and launch
dvsparse at will on the machine running FFXI?

Or I suppose if you don't have Windows XP Professional you could use a free program like TightVNC or something?

I dunno if any of you have tried but i'm thinking of giving it a shot tonight.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Chistik

Edited what I said previously because I'm retarded. I get what you're saying. It might work, give it a try.

uhh

Windows XP only allows 1 session of desktop use.

So.

A) If I'm playing FFXI on the target computer...
B) I try to logon to RDP via remote networked PC
C) It will ask you "Current user xxxxx will be logged off"
D) Therefore, closing your FF session and desktop session.

I believe you have to have Terminal Services licenses in place (like Windows Server) to have more than 1 desktop session.

PS: I just tried to this to verify.

I'm pretty sure this won't work, but maybe I'm missing something because what advantage would it buy you? Computer A and Computer B. A has nothing installed, B has dvsparse and FFXI installed. You connect to B from A and run dvsparse and FFXI, and you still can't see dvsparse while in fullscreen.

If you meant dvsparse running on computer A and FFXI running on computer B and you do a remote desktop connection from A to B then I don't think it will work, because the processes are still on two separate computers, which breaks the requirement of DvsParse needing to be able to read memory from the FFXI process. Remote Desktop only lets you interact with the other computer, you still don't have access to the process as if it were on the machine you are connecting from.

Eventually I'll add network support, maybe in 2.5 (2.0 is coming in a few weeks)

I'm pretty sure this won't work, but maybe I'm missing something because what advantage would it buy you? Computer A and Computer B. A has nothing installed, B has dvsparse and FFXI installed. You connect to B from A and run dvsparse and FFXI, and you still can't see dvsparse while in fullscreen.

If you meant dvsparse running on computer A and FFXI running on computer B and you do a remote desktop connection from A to B then I don't think it will work, because the processes are still on two separate computers, which breaks the requirement of DvsParse needing to be able to read memory from the FFXI process. Remote Desktop only lets you interact with the other computer, you still don't have access to the process as if it were on the machine you are connecting from.

Eventually I'll add network support, maybe in 2.5 (2.0 is coming in a few weeks)

Sorta but not quite what I was thinking. Computer A is say.. my laptop sitting right next to me. Computer B is my main PC currently running FFXI and has DvsParse installed on it. I remote or use VNC from computer A to computer B. I therefore launch DvsParse on computer B from computer A. Basically I think I should not use desktop connection and just use another program like VNC. I want to launch the DvsParse ON the machien running ffxi remotely. Make sense now?

Also: With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. (cut and copied from their website)

Actually I think I know what you getting at. When I use remote or VNC or something into say.. machine B.. I'm gonna see FFXI.. and not the "Desktop" so to speak.. I was confusing
the two there. So yea, if it shows me exactly what's on the machine as if I were sitting in front of it, then yea it wouldn't work. Grr! Guess I may just have to use windower then. Or set my screensize a bit lower than my desktop.

Yea, but when you connect with VNC or Remote Desktop, doesn't it log out the person who is sitting at the terminal? I think you're saying you want to sit at computer B and play FFXI on the physical computer B, while having A simultaneously run DvsParse over VNC to the same machine B. That way you get two different desktops, one for FFXI and one for DvsParse.

Definitely try it and post what happens, but I think that as soon as you make a remote connection from A to B the user at B will be logged out, and as soon as you log back in on B, the remote connection will die.

Another idea would be to have the program launchable via command line arguments from a telnet or ssh connection into the machine.

./dvsparse stop, start, new, close [Filename] ?? etc..

Sorry, don't mean to make work for ya.. :)

Even if it does work, if you've never used VNC... Its laggy as all hell. Only thing you could possibly even do is chat :( I used it before, and it sends you bits and pieces when it wants to.

I think it was mentioned by another member a few threads down about having some sort of hotkey to use while in full screenmode without using
a windower program or even having a remote system do the parsing via
a networked machine.

I guess my question is this, if you have a networked machine, is it possible
to just do a remote desktop connection via another computer and launch
dvsparse at will on the machine running FFXI?

Or I suppose if you don't have Windows XP Professional you could use a free program like TightVNC or something?

I dunno if any of you have tried but i'm thinking of giving it a shot tonight.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Chistik

Chistik, some utilities exist for windows called psutils. This package has a program called psexec that can be used to remotely execute programs over the network (and pass user permissions). This is probably a better solution then a full remote desktop/vnc.

Also has some other commands for listing processes, killing processes ext. You could batch something to check if FFXI was running, and lauch the parser, and then if the parser stops running or whatever to relaunch it. We would need hot keys for the parser app to start it, and I am unsure if those exist.

If that's all the functionality you require though, just start the parser before you start FFXI, then log in and when you log out the parser should still be running with all your parsed data. I was under the impression he wanted to be able to interact with it while FFXI was running.

If that's all the functionality you require though, just start the parser before you start FFXI, then log in and when you log out the parser should still be running with all your parsed data. I was under the impression he wanted to be able to interact with it while FFXI was running.

Well, remote desktop won't work, because it steals the host console session on XP, and doesn't allow directx acceleration so the game crashes and pol complains about the color mode.

VNC overhead isn't great. I think that will be frustrating.

But ya, why not just start it beforehand I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back