New Laptop Seizes/crashes Intermittently While Playing

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Cyberpower PC with an AMD Ryzen 4700H processor, NVIDIA RTX2060 GPU, 1TB WD Black SSD, 2 x 16GB RAM. I've installed the latest video drivers, I ran FurMark test and it passed, I ran a memory test and it passed, and did a ChkDsk /F, I've ran it in a clean boot, and I'm still getting lock ups.

The most curious part is how intermittent it is. I can play for 6 hours with no issues and then it will lock up. I restart and it locks up again. I restart and it locks up within an hour. Then, it'll be fine for another 6 hours. The next day, it locks up after an hour, restart, locks up again. Next day, fine all day.

When it locks up, the screen goes black, the laptop becomes completely unresponsive, and only a forced shutdown will recover it. I looked in Event Viewer and the only errors I get are the Kernel-Power errors that result from the forced shutdown itself and nothing pertaining to lock up. I'm inclined, at this point, to think it's the GPU driver, but there are so many versions, I could spend weeks trying to find the right now. The only other thing I can think is that the HD is intermittently failing, but that seems like a stretch.

Finally, I typically play in borderless windowed mode. Any help would be appreciated as I'm fairly new to PC gaming (switching over from consoles).

Continue reading...

Back