New Laptop ... but

Rektify

More things change the more they stay the same.
Ultima Legacy
Hurro there. I was looking at laptops recently and I found a nifty little shop that lets you try before you buy. The shop just didn't give off a good aura to me. The guy selling didn't seem like he was looking out for my best interest .. My mother wants to insist on shopping there - thinking he is giving her a deal. She wants to pick me up a new one before I head off to College. I can either fix up my Gateway or get one of these other ones

I know little of CPU's, but I know that if you wipe one clean it'll run pretty fast regardless of what is inside. The CPU's I've gotten to try out seem decent, but the innards have me curious, as I've heard bad things about stuff like "celerons" and whatnot. Right clicking and heading to properties for my CPU brings up:

The original worn out CPU:
Gateway
7500 Series
Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64
Processor 4000+
1.58 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

The one he is trying to sell:
Dell
Intel(R) Pentium(R) III
Mobile CPU 1000 MHZ
730 Mhz, 384 MB of RAM

And another I can choose from:
Balance (?)
GBM International Inc.
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M
processor 1500 MHZ
1.50 Ghz, 480 MB of RAM

I thought RAM was very good, and Celeron very bad... I dunno what choice to make, about all I do at the moment is write papers and play ffxi :D. Thoughts? Explanations to a newb?

1. Get some pills for your bipolar disorder.
2. I'm afraid to give advice because I may end up being the reason you lose more money.
3. Be sure to check what size the graphics card is. If it's only 64mb but everything else seems fine and mighty speedy, you still wont be able to play ffxi.

Also, putting a price on them would be helpful as well, unless they all cost the same I suppose.

They are relatively good for simple office applications, which is good if you're writing your term paper and whatnot but don't expect more than that.

Price for each laptop would be nice to know as well as more detailed specs. If they are priced within $500-$800 then don't bother getting these. You can easily buy a more "recent" laptop for that price range.

Not sure what your price range is Rek...but I am selling a Gateway P-7811FX laptop atm. Less than 4 months old.

Had 2...selling one to Aluc...good laptop for the price I am selling it at, which is $600 USD + shipping. Includes original box, etc.

Key Spec:
Processor: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Storage: 200GB hard drive (7200 RPM)
Optical Drives: DVD±RW
Display: 17-inch
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS (512MB)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Suffice it to say this laptop can easily play FFXI and also handle a little word processing. =)

Ok then .. so these laptops aren't really him trying to fuck us over, it's just him trying to give us something to do basic shit. That makes me a lil more at ease with him, but we would walk into his mom + pop store and he would talk about the crazy deals he has made in the past where he got off better.

Oh, the gateway costed a thousand about 4 years ago when I picked it up.

The other two were around 550 each I believe

I had a feeling that was the case. The first one I listed - the Gateway - I've had for years now and it runs FFXI fine, it can handle Left 4 Dead, Half Life games whatever i'd want it to. I was trying out these other ones and I was just like - These are downgrades, even someone who knows as little as I did had that gut feeling saying that. Thanks for confirming it. That laptop Ekan is selling looks hot though : D

The one you have is far better than the first of the other two. It's probably better than the second one too. Like everyone else mentioned, there are a ton of better options out there for 500-600. As for FFXI, I would recommend an ATI or Nvidia video card. Most of the on board cards have issues running FFXI.

xp runs better on my macbook than it does on my actual PC. Bootcamp btw, VMWare is still a "virtualization" and just isnt the same as running natively...

Back