New computer! Please HALP!

Talfus

~Lux Aeterna~
So I got my tax refund back today and I'm working with around 1,000.

The main thing I want to do on this computer is to be able to play Starcraft 2 / Diablo 3 when they come out, in hi-res. I figure if I can do that I'd be able to play pretty much anything else w/o problems.

I'd like to have one of those fast access hard drives to load the games and OS on and want at least 1 terabyte external hard drive for entertainment stuffs.

Tbh I'm not sure what's good these days and what's not, I can say I don't want joffVista.joff

Need some suggestions as what to get. I plan on doing all my ordering through Newegg, and maybe Tigerdirect.

P.S. I don't care if it sounds like a jet engine. lawl

Id say youd have to put in some more money...I spent 1000 on my new computer and Byrdman specced and built it for me...its great but it can only play GTA4 on medium so idk how starcraft is going to be hah..

Damn pimp, W-2s just came fresh out the mail box and you already rollng with a grand. Now tell me, where is my piece of the pie =(?

Am thinking 50/50 split 'cause you know am not greedy.

Don't front on me now. Like the IRS, I will get my money one way or the other =o

@ Pussen - How do tax returns work (if at all) in Japan?

@ Redd - You have now forfeited your .50 and will be receiving 398 gil, from Aluciont. Have a nice day! :halo:

Ok, I've been looking at wiki about single, dual, and quad core processors. As far as I can tell the more cores a cpu has the faster things are processed. So I guess I'll be looking into a quad cpu. I realize that some programs are written for a single core processor, so if I run those programs it'll only run off the one and not the other 3. Any suggestions?

If any of this is wrong please correct me, I'm trying to learn as I go. lolz

Also I read something about how AMD works better with ATI video cards and Intel work better with nvidia, any truth to this?

I think quads are sorts over kill atm but if you can afford you might as well get. Seems like a reasonable investment at the least. Make sure you buy only from newegg.com

It probally is overkill for what's out now, but I'm trying to take into consideration what future software will want/require to run smoothly. I want this computer to last me for a long time. If that means I blow my budget out of the water and have to wait a bit to buy more components later then so be it.

Any opinions on DDR2 VS DDR3? :badshape:

@ Talf - Well in order to keep my US citizenship, I have to pay taxes still. That is on top of paying Japanese taxes. Now some states have different rules, that allow you to not pay if you aren't living there. Unfortunately for me, I still have to pay local, state, and federal and then additionally my Japanese taxes. I would say my ETF (Effective tax rate) is about 40%.

ORLY > Puss?

I'm originally from Virginia of course, and as I don't live there or have an address in Virginia any longer, I'm not required to file/pay any state/local taxes.

For this year, I made enough money but not enough to break the Federal tax cap on foreign income. So, I have to file but I won't be paying any Federal Tax this year. For the Japanese side of things, I have not seen the summary statement yet... but I know that I will be getting some type of refund as I am sending money to the United States to support another person.

Anyway, overall I'm making out pretty well in the taxes area this year.

@Talf -> Invest the most money in the Core of your machine. Spend big money now for the big parts and buy other little parts as you need to. When I say core items, I mean the Motherboard, Processor, Memory and Video Card.

@ AA, well I am expat rotational. So my situation is different, as I am required to retain an address in the states, otherwise I would have to localize. Granted I get some incentive in the taxable areas, but not enough to where I get a refund. Plus if you realize the US recalculates my salary, which just due to FX alone has seen a 25% increase from the time I arrived, plus they love nailing me for the housing allowance as well. Oh well, only money.

Look here Lafus

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8906745

I tried to stick to your budget while going as high performance as possible. I'm assuming you have a monitor and peripherals. I have this same processor, and it OC's to 4.2GHz on that air cooler without issue (this is before I lapped the proc/HSF). It could boot it at 4.5 GHz, but Orthos would fail after a while. The point is, it's not the fastest thing out there, but the price/performance ratio is as good as it gets right now.

That's the same drive I PM'd you about, and the other motherboard/power supply from my PM would be fine too if you wanted to shave some more off the price.

I've always had AMD & never had any issues. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about either. Myth builds all my PCs. I just get out the dust-buster & clean the bunnies out while he does it!

Look here Lafus

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8906745

I tried to stick to your budget while going as high performance as possible. I'm assuming you have a monitor and peripherals. I have this same processor, and it OC's to 4.2GHz on that air cooler without issue (this is before I lapped the proc/HSF). It could boot it at 4.5 GHz, but Orthos would fail after a while. The point is, it's not the fastest thing out there, but the price/performance ratio is as good as it gets right now.

That's the same drive I PM'd you about, and the other motherboard/power supply from my PM would be fine too if you wanted to shave some more off the price.
Thanks Fod, check your PM's.

I've always had AMD & never had any issues. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about either. Myth builds all my PCs. I just get out the dust-buster & clean the bunnies out while he does it!
Same here Sass, just wanted to build something that would last me a good long time. :D

Here's a problem. My old machine that died had multiple accounts saved to it. I'm pretty sure I could hook the HD up to another machine and access the files that way.

My question is, does anyone know which files I'd have to open/hax to find the Playonline ID's? I know the passwords.

Back