Networking

Elvier

FC/Active Member
I bought a new computer and decided to set up a wireless network for my 2 computers. One runs XP, the other is Vista. Bought new adapters and router. All were on network.. but neither PC would recognize the other. Get online.. find that everyone complains about networks :p. Call family member and get it working until I unplug everything so I can shift things to their new permanent locations. Then of course I am back to nothing recognizing anything. I am so sick or reading about firewalls, permissions, sharing !!! wtf can't you guys just get along!!! :arg:

Call tech support at Dell and Netgear.. several hours wasted there but they really tried to figure it out. They suggested I pay $$$ to have someone come out and physically fix it (haha I think the tech meant take the @#$% out and shoot it). I am a very stubborn person sometimes so I kept fiddling with it. Look online some more.. came up with this...

http://www.networkmagic.com/

It is MAGIC. 15 minutes later (that includes time to download and install) both PC's and printer are happily talking to each other.

This is FREE for the most part although I think I will pay the 29.95 for the ~ upgraded model. Mostly I want to pay the developer for a fine piece of work that should be included in every wireless router sold!!

argh! What is that Fod? It sounds terrible :eek:

argh! What is that Fod? It sounds terrible :eek:
He's trying to scare you. :p

However, botnets are worth knowing about. It commonly refers to a group of compromised machines that can be remotely commanded to run tasks like Denial of Service attacks, account hacking, etc. The largest one mentioned in the Wikipedia article was 1.5 million computers, though most are much smaller.

Basically you "join" a botnet by being hacked, catching a computer virus or worm, or running a trojan horse. Those used to just crash your system, read your data, etc, but repurposing the computer as part of a botnet is much more common these days. A big botnet is apparently worth a lot to hackers. Typically the computer owner can still use the system, but part of the computer's resources will be redirected to nefarious tasks.

If the site you went to is reputable, their software should be fine and there is nothing to worry about. However, it's hard these days to really know which sites are trustworthy and which aren't. :(

Hmmm.. Well its been reviewed by tons of peeps smarter than I, like Laptop and PCworld and PCmag and given some awards .. So at least I am in a botnet with smart peaople. Maybe they will send me a check too :D

Back