Need a recommendation

Talfus

~Lux Aeterna~
I'm tired of re-reading all my books, any good ones out? Anything sci-fi or fantasy prs.
Already finished lotr, harry pooter, eragon (come on september!), pretty much everything by Dean Koontz and Stephen King.

HALP!

I just finished The Lies of Locke Lemora, was pretty good. Currently reading The Codex Alera series which is ok so far.

If you haven't already read it, I'd recommend A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Try at least the first 1-2 books of the Otherland series by Tad Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland

and a must read whether you read the series or not is: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Gam

Benny thanks for giving me the idea to link to Wiki! I did not want to link to Barnes and Noble or Books a Million and was trying to find a good way to describe the books!

The Wheel of Time is also excellent if you haven't read that.

That was fast, thanks for all the replies. Think I'll pick some of those up tommorrow.

Prolly start with the series that are already finished.
Hate nothing more than getting through 2-3 books only to realize the story isn't finished and it'll be another 2 years before another book comes out, or the author is dead. lol

Bump to Death Gate Cycle--great series that I read a few years ago. I'm in the process of recollecting all 7 via Bookmooch; just to have to reread again.

the wife seems to really enjoy the Nantucket and Emberverse series by S.M. Stirling

the Nantucket series is a trilogy about an 'event' that causes Nantucket island to be sent back in time to the bronze age. everything from present day on the island itself still works, ie: electricity etc.

the Emberverse series is two separate sets of books. the first trilogy shows what happened to the rest of the world when the Nantucket 'event' happened. essentially, no modern technology (electricity, internal combustion, steam power, guns, explosives) is functional. the second set of books is planned for 4 novels. they take place 22 years after the 'event'. the second book in the new series is coming out this fall.

titles, etc

Last edited:
Wow, I've hardly heard of any of these... I can see I'll have to find time to stop at the library. Shame the Orlando library system is retarded as hell and I can't actually borrow from the library a block from my work because I live in Winter Park....

-benny

Does it have pop ups and pictures to color? I like pop ups and coloring.

Definitely try the Otherland by Tad Williams as Elvi already said. Havent been able to finish them myself but a good ways into the 2nd book here.

I'll second the vote for Ender's Game (a science fiction classic). I'm rereading the Otherland series that Elvi also mentioned, and it's been good again (though I think it could have fit better in 2-3 books than 4).

One science fiction author I always love to recommend is Vernor Vinge. His last 3 novels have each won top awards (either Hugo or Nebula), and while I'd recommend them for different audiences, they're all really good. A Fire Upon the Deep is a galaxy-spanning adventure with good ideas and interesting aliens. A Deepness in the Sky is in the same "universe," but it's much more character centered and a bit scary in some of its implications. I rate that as his best; it's just really interesting and so well thought out. His most recent Rainbows End is more light-hearted and much more contemporary, but it has a very practical view of where technology is headed near-term.

If you're interested in far-flung speculation about insane tech, I recently ran into Charles Stross. Most of his stuff has been really good, but Accelerando is mind-blowing. It's fairly technical and way out there, but it's sooo full of interesting ideas.

I have lots of others I could recommend if people are interested. ^_^;;

For fantasy, I haven't read much aside from Tolkien and Pratchett (who's great for comedy fantasy), but I'd recommend The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I think that comes Elvi-recommended too. ^_^v

Good Omens is a pretty damn good book as well. It's by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Aargh :eek: What have we started?? I ordered 1 book from the library and am busy deciding how I can start the Fire and Ice series ( Thanks Fodder!) ... I am going to be tired trying to just find time to read....

edit.. Bah its Ice and Fire series but everyone knows Fire beats Ice .. ; ; my brain is forever warped by FFXI :D oh well

Haha, same boat as Elvier--I've been hunting some of these down on Bookmooch and have a few enroute. I needed some reading anyway!

Chronicles of Amber was very good as well, although I much preferred the Corwin saga (books 1-5) vs. books 5-10.

Back