My Theory On The Garlean People [5.2 Spoilers]

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
[Spoilers for the MSQ up to and including 5.2, and the Crystal Towe storyline.]

So the First had representations of all of the playable races, as well as the ARR beast tribes. However the one missing race that stood out to me was the Garleans. Now if you weren't aware, the Garleans aren't the same as Hyur, but are in fact their own unique race with two major differences. The first and most obvious being the "Garlean Eye", the stone/gem embedded in the centre of the forehead, and the second difference is that they cannot use aether/magic. It always stood out to me that the Garleans were missing from the First, and I've had this theory in my head for a while, but the newly gained knowledge of the Echo has all but solidified for me. The Garlean people aren't a natural people, but were instead created, probably by the Allagans.

Now lets start off with the Echo. As we learned in 5.2 the Echo is not a gift of Hydaelyn, but is awoken when one sees a vision similar to that of the destruction of Aumarot, namely a fiery red sky with falling meteors/stars/whatever. Now not everyone can gain this gift, as shown by the scions not having it. It is likely to assume that only those with sundered Ascian souls can gain the Echo as only their souls would have the "memory" of the end of Aumarot. However this knowledge can be retroactively applied to a day when the vast majority of Eorzea could have gained, despite this not happening. I speak of course of Dalamud.

When the Garleans brought Dalamud down onto Cartenau the skies turned red from the falling balls of fire, exactly the image required to awaken the Echo. However despite the fact that many would have awakened to this newfound "gift", there have been no known examples of Garleans having gained the echo. When Zenos and his science team decided to study and extract it, they only took prisoners from Garlean territories but not any actual Garleans. As I really don't believe that Zenos would have had any problems in using his own people for the experiments, it can safely be assumed that no Garlean soldiers at Carteneau gained the echo.

Now its not impossible that none of the Garlean soldiers at Carteneau had sundered souls even if they were a natural race, but it is extremely unlikely. However that has yet to take into consideration the fact that Garleans cannot use magic. At all. Every other race we know of, beast tribe or otherwise, can use magic, which tracts since the ancient Aumarotians were extremely powerful and skilled magic users, able to create almost anything they could think of using their aether. This ability, though greatly lessened in effect, is the basis of modern magic. Even those without sundered souls can still use magic as they are likely descended from one who had a sundered soul.

This leaves the Garleans of having no memories of Aumarot's destruction in their souls, and no ability to use magic suggesting that they didn't descend from one who did. In my opinion this means that the Garleans did not come into being the same way as all of the other races, but instead were created some time into the Source's new lifetime. The only way this would be possible would be if they were created by another race or civilization. It is extremely likely that this civilization would be Allag simply because they're the only ancient civilization with the technological and magical prowess to actually create a new race of people.

Now we know from the Crystal Tower storyline that the Allagans had the means of cloning people, as told by Doga and Unei. However as with all new inventions there are always failed attempts before finally being successful. So while this is little more than pure speculation, I assume that the original Garlean people were in fact failed cloning attempts. So when the head Allagan mage/scientist in charge of creating the first clones realized that while this iteration of his work were an intelligent and sentient people, they lacked magical capabilities, they likely abandoned them in the frigid North of Ilsabard. These failed clones however survived, and in time became known of the Garleans.

TLDR The Garleans are likely the failed attempts of cloning by the ancient Allagans, rather than a natural born people, explaining why they cannot use magic and cannot gain the Echo.

submitted by /u/283leis
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back