MiniPC Build [Sorry, Big Pics Inside]

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
So, given my limited space I decided to build my 2nd PC in one of these Mini-Chassis from Shuttle PC.

The specs of this machine:

Intel C2Duo E6600 2.4GHz (Gift from Fodder)
2GB Corsair DDR2-1066 RAM
1 - 74GB WD Raptor
1 - 500GB WD SATA2 Generic
1 - NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB Vid Card
1 - DVD/CD/RW-Drive (Pioneer Generic $55 Drive)
Intel X48 Chipset
Shuttle Chassis

Total Cost was about 113,000YEN. ($1064USD)

Im fairly happy with the results in the build and performance. I decided to run WinXP Pro SP3 at this time to get a basline, then I will install Vista on a seperate partition at a later date.

The machine is fairly quiet and seems to be keeping cool quite nicely, for now. I will stress it a little later after I confirm that all the drivers are up-to-date and things are completely smooth.

This is not meant to be a total-performance machine, but it does pretty well considering its size.

Two building comments:

1) I had to angle the memory perfectly to get it in without removing the PSU. Went ok, no damage or screw ups.

2) The SATA/PWR cables for the HDD units are just barely enough, I wish they had a little more slack.

Here are the pics from building it today:

1. Home from shopping, It was raining so the store wrapped my stuff in plastic.

P1010819.JPG

2. Current, Main Desktop Unit... Antec Solo Black Case, Intel P4EE Machine.

P1010820.JPG

3. Items Bought, as listed above.

P1010821.JPG

4. New Case, Out of the box.

P1010822.JPG

5. Size Comparison

P1010823.JPG

6. Pre-Build Rear View

P1010824.JPG

7. Pre-Build Side View 1

P1010825.JPG

8. Pre-Build Side View 2

P1010826.JPG

9. Parts Box

P1010827.JPG

10. Completed Install, Video Card Side

P1010828.JPG

11. Completed Install, Memory/Processor Side (Note the memory clearance)

P1010829.JPG

12. Completed Install, Rear.

P1010830.JPG

13. Completed Install, HDD Top View.

P1010831.JPG

I'm putting in my new desk this week, I'll post completed installation pictures after I get everything redone. It has been a challenge to make this work with such little space. That and power is so much more expensive here, close to $150/month for May-June-July it looks like.

My FFXI Benchmark 3 test just completed as well, 8353-H with standard, default settings.

More to come later...

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems I'd anticipate with a machine that small would be airflow and internal temperature. You said you've got it running pretty cool. What have you got? From pics I'm seeing Power supply fan, CPU fan, and are those two case fans at the back? In that limited space it does the trick?

One of the biggest problems I'd anticipate with a machine that small would be airflow and internal temperature. You said you've got it running pretty cool. What have you got? From pics I'm seeing Power supply fan, CPU fan, and are those two case fans at the back? In that limited space it does the trick?

There are 2 CPU Fans that send the air through the CPU Heatsink. (Push/Pull)
There are 2 Rear Case Fans.
There is 1 PSU Fan and there is 1 GPU Fan.

I'll post some screenshots from the machine tests after a bit.

lol Furax. I'll save that for another day when I replace my main desktop. This is fine for its purpose.

and also, 3GHz running within normal limits as of yesterday.

Oooh, it's the shuttle! Not all the pics loaded for me the first time I saw this, so I saw the tower and thought you were building a new desktop. So what are you using it for?

Oooh, it's the shuttle! Not all the pics loaded for me the first time I saw this, so I saw the tower and thought you were building a new desktop. So what are you using it for?

It's my 2nd PC for FF11 and other stuff as I deem necessary. It also uses less power than the regular tower, so more likely to use this one more just to save on energy.

Here's the final setup install, although I think I may change some stuff around... but later on.

The main desktop PC is under the table and the Shuttle is to the right. I need to get a better chair, maybe next week.

dinstall.jpg

i need a better chair too.. my butt hurts

Here's the final setup install, although I think I may change some stuff around... but later on.

The main desktop PC is under the table and the Shuttle is to the right. I need to get a better chair, maybe next week.

haha.. next time Aang says he has to go AFK to pop something in the microwave, I'm gonna be thinking something along the lines of, "Why does he need to go AFK to do that!?"

rofl.. is the fridge in there too? behind the camera I bet!

haha.. next time Aang says he has to go AFK to pop something in the microwave, I'm gonna be thinking something along the lines of, "Why does he need to go AFK to do that!?"

lol I was thinking the same thing

Back