[major Spoilers] About Shb’s Music Theme

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
This game has a clear trend of writing songs that reflect a character’s (or characters’) PoV, e.g. Hydaelyn being the voice of Answers/Dragonsong, Dayan and Mide being the clear voices in Alexander’s themes... the list goes on.

There are two voices and a chorus in Shadowbringers (the theme of the game and the battle music that plays in the first phase of the fight against Hades): a soprano singer; a lower pitched male voice that sings comparing two champions (one brings shadow, one brings light); a higher pitched male voice, who sings more clearly than the former and says that his world has ended, that his future is no more and that he “[fell] unto the end”; a choir that seems to sing alongside the high-pitched male about going home and finding hope.

I don’t know if this has been discussed before here in reddit, but if I have to guess...

The soprano sounds like Hydaelyn/Minfilia. She sings about the impending doom of the First, and her part is pretty much the leitmotif for the rest of the game.

The second voice, the lower one, is Emet-Selch. He’s talking about Ardbert and the WoL, about how Ardbert & Co. wrecked the First with the Flood of Light and how the WoL has come to bring the shadow back. He also mentions the reflections of the Source (<- in this I might be mistaken, but the part “threescore wasted, ten cast aside” sounds like it since there are 13 reflections).

The other man, this one I’m pretty sure of it, is Ardbert. He bemoans his role in bringing about the Flood of Light and he and his companions sacrificed themselves to bring about a halt to it (At this, the world’s end, do we cast off tomorrow). He also cries about [falling] unto the end, which could mean either his rejoining with the WoL, or the aforementioned sacrifice. His lines also follow the leitmotif of the game.

The voices in the choir sound like they’re Ardbert’s companions. They hoped to save their world and made the ultimate sacrifice for that. They also sing along the second man reinforcing his idea of the end of their world, how they’ve fallen in hopes that the world might survive, which it does thanks to the WoL.

I started thinking about it after watching all of Ardbert’s cutscenes, from his very first appearance in 3.x. About how he feels guilty of dooming his world even though he thought he was doing the right thing. Under this perspective I could grok better the extent of his suffering, guilt and self-hatred over what happened. In the end, he realizes his role in the story and the reason why Minfilia spared him and he rejoins with the WoL, healing their soul and diminishing the impact of the Light within them, which would have surely killed them (or worse, turned them into a super-warden).

What’s your opinion on it? The only one I’m sure about is Ardbert because it 100% fits his character, but what about the others?

submitted by /u/ultimagriever
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back