Low FPS with GIGABYTE motherboard computer

Redd

Servant of Ultima
Banned Account
Recently found out that my computer has been performing pretty horribly (damn you Coice and your 26+ FPS) and was wondering if anyone had a clue as to how to improve my FPS. Been reading a bunch of stuff and using different drivers with my video card and adjusting several settings but have gotten pretty much nowhere.

I am using NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz (both) with 3.5GB of RAM. Thing is, during dynamis/beseiged/campaign/Aht Urghan/Auction House, I'd get an impressive 5-10FPS depending on my comp's mood.

Any thought on how improve the FPS? I've tried alot of STR rings, but it's not improving the situation, which is totally unexpected.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit Solution: Problem solved thanks to Coice.

Turns out that an energy saving program called Dynamic Energy Saver by GIGABYTE was causing my machine to perform very slowly. Shutting off the program instantly boosted FPS to 28+

Title of topic changed to reflect findings should someone have similiar computer config/issues.

Last edited:
What resolution are you running at?

How much other shit do you have going in the background?

Die Coice :/ </3

I run at 800x600 overlay with a 1024x1024 background resolution. Am on XP. Usually running Winamp, Firefox, AIM, MSN, Yahoo.

You may want to try Pidgin or Trillian to combine all the chat programs into one interface. Mostly though the issue will probably be Firefox.

you have 3 chats up at once always?! dude, you must be pimpin the hoes!

-ara

Make sure your video drivers are the version optimized for FF. That will likely make a huge difference. I never had a problem with FPS on XP with a similar hardware build. Vista is another story, but it's still not as bad as what you are expressing.

Yeah, nvidia has some FFXI-optimized drivers that seem to work well. It's like 169.17 or something like that.

This is my set-up and I had exact same problem (and I run Vista) until I updated the Nvidia driver. They recently made the driver that works the driver you get if you do an update. So you no longer have to go to their Beta site and upload a Beta driver. My NVIDIA Driver version is 7.15.11.7519 (That is 175.19 essentially the same as 175.16 that Fodder mentioned) Not sure if you are running the 64 bit version or 32.. I run 32 bit OS. Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2992 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. I aplogize for wall of text! I decided to try quick reply and it leaves out all paragraphs :(

Try installing 175.16
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html?pageID=win

I'd suggest driver cleaner pro prior to changing drivers. Use CCleaner too, just because.

Redd and I tried that last night--no dice as his 9800 GTX didn't come out with that version (downgrading worked, but no perf gain in FFXI).

Re: IM programs, Trillian is nice, but after YEARS of using Trillian, I've become addicted to Digsby (www.digsby.com). Much better interface (Trillian will NEVER release their new version), support for both IM, email, and web2 things. I have AIM, MSN, Yahoo, GChat (google) as well as links to my Gmail account, Facebook, and Twitter. All in one slick client. Best part is that your "settings" are server side with Digsby so I can install and log in and my layout, windows, accounts, etc. are the same everywhere I log in--no reconfigure.

Other things to check:

1 - Is this a single or dual card setup? I had a lot of issues gaming with non-SLI friendly games and removed the SLI link between my two cards. Now, I have one card that controls my main screen (center) and the other controls the two side screens. Works out well and balances the load between them. If you just have one card, disregard. :)

2 - Went into NVidia Control Panel and made sure your 3D settings weren't jacked up? FFXI doesn't have a profile that ships with the cards, but perhaps resetting it to default for a baseline.

3 - Does this happen in any other games or just FFXI? Had a coworker who was having FFXI issues, tried another game, same thing--ended up his PCIe setting in the BIOS was at 1x instead of 8x/16x(auto).

4 - Might try the old 169.17 drivers (ftp://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/drivers/), though they may be too old to work with your video card (not the .28 version on there, those don't have the FFXI "fix").

you can hack support into an nVidia driver build, no guarantees on stability, but I did that for a while.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

My NVIDIA Driver version is 7.15.11.7519 (That is 175.19 essentially the same as 175.16 that Fodder mentioned)

Okay this is got me a bit curious. I've download the same driver (175.19) and installed it, but the version is listed as 6.14.11.7519 instead of 7.15.11.7519 after installation. This has me confused. How come your driver is named differently, but it's supposed to be the same driver o_O

Sorry you're having fps issues Redd. I don't have much experience with Nvidia cards. I get a steady 20fps everywhere with my old Pentium 4 and an HD4850.

Well.. your set up is a bit different.. you are running the 9800 GTX and I have 8800 GT

You went to NVIDIA website? http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Because the 9800 is on a new driver ( P.S. I checked and this driver is for XP 32 bit or 64 bit also):

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=618 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center>GeForce Release 177 <SUP style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: red">WHQL Candidate</SUP></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=140>Version:</TD><TD>177.79</TD></TR><TR><TD>Release Date:</TD><TD>July 29, 2008</TD></TR><TR><TD>Operating System:</TD><TD>Windows Vista 32-bit</TD></TR><TR><TD>Language:</TD><TD>U.S. English</TD></TR><TR><TD>File Size:</TD><TD>38.8 MB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><INPUT id=chkAgreement type=checkbox name=chkAgreement> I have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the NVIDIA Software License Agreement. </TD><TD align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
tab_release_highlights_on.jpg
tab_products_supported_off.jpg
tab_user_guides_off.jpg

• Adds supports for GeForce 9800 GT and GeForce 9500 GT GPUs.
  • Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL.
  • Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
  • Numerous game and application compatibility fixes and performance improvements. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
  • Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

<!--
header_international.jpg
<table width="100%" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="5" border="0"> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%"> Users without English US operating systems must download and install the <A href="/object/supported_languages.html">International Driver available on our International Sites listed below: </td></tr> <td style="BORDER-RIGHT: #aaaaaa 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #aaaaaa 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f7f9ff"> <tr><td> » English UK
» France
» Germany
» India
» Italy
» Poland
» Russia
» Spain
</td> </tr></table>--><!---
NVIDIA is committed to supporting Microsoft Windows Vista on current and previous GPU generations. It's important to us that you have an excellent experience through the Vista transition, and driver development is the highest priority in our company.
We are working diligently to make sure we achieve and maintain the level of driver quality and reliability that NVIDIA is known for. Over the coming weeks NVIDIA and our partners, along with the industry, will continue to update Windows Vista drivers to ensure maximum performance on 3D applications and add feature support.
For those of you that are using Windows Vista and experiencing any problems, we've set up a website for bug reporting – http://www.nvidia.com/vistaqualityassurance. Our product managers will be reviewing this information daily and will be contacting users to help resolve any issues they might be experiencing.
These NVIDIA Windows Vista drivers are under development. This version is not fully optimized for full 3D performance and may not include all available features available on different operating systems. NVIDIA, along with the industry, is continuing to update its Windows Vista drivers to ensure maximum performance on 3D applications and add support for features. These drivers are provided "AS IS." NVIDIA MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER AS TO MERCHANTABILITY, COMPATIBILITY, PERFORMANCE, APPLICATION OR FUNCTION, AND DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.
--->

ZOMG PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS TO COICE (THANKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!)

So Coice told me to run a program called 'Hijack This' to show what programs are running. I did and sent him the log files. He did his magic. He saw that I was running a program called GEST, which is an energy saving program. Told me to shut it off. I did. Instantly, my FPS spiked to 28. Now my FPS is at 28+ WHILE DUAL BOXING even. Both instances!!!

So there. Thanks again Coice, I owe you.

which is why I asked what was running in the background. lol nice to see you got it worked out though. you should notice an improvement with everything with that shit shut off.... ironically.

I am going to have to see if I have a similar type of program running on my PC. I actually don't know what my FPS rate is, rarely check it, but the times I have tried to record video with FRAPs and I did check FPS, it was dropping to around 3. So it was like I was playing FFXI with a strobe light flicking on and off slowly.

which is why I asked what was running in the background. lol nice to see you got it worked out though. you should notice an improvement with everything with that shit shut off.... ironically.

Yeah you were right totally, ET. It never crossed my mind that something made by the motherboard company could cause such a dramatic decrease in performance especially something that's supposed to good...yup, true irony.

Back