Limited or no connectivity

Talfus

~Lux Aeterna~
So my gf decided to rearrange the living room last night and move the computer and everthing else.

Rehooked my computer with a longer network cable and getting limited or no connectivity, wont connect to router can't get on internet or anything. Tried the cable in my gf's laptop and it works perfectly, able to connect to router and everything.

So is there any chance the nic port got fried or something? Any settings I can double check?

thanks in advance.

yes, try a different cable from your computer to the router. If that doesn't help, try reseating your NIC, assuming it's not an onboard NIC.

yes, try a different cable from your computer to the router. If that doesn't help, try reseating your NIC, assuming it's not an onboard NIC.

why would it work for one pc and not the other though?

edit: I agree with the second part. the card may have come loose when she moved it.

once it works again smack her around a bit for touching your shit.

Is your router wireless? Chii had the same problem, though it didn't involved wired connectivity, and bought a wireless USB card and that worked well.

The cable could have gotten kinked/stepped on/etc. and broken a wire in your CAT5. Sometimes they end up being intermittent, depending on position of the cable, it may/may not work. Trying a completely different cable will rule the cable out, assuming both are not broken. Have you tried another port on your router? Some NICs are just fickle due to shoddy drivers/engineering (queue reference to SMC Corp.).

Something else to try is uninstalling the drivers for your onboard NIC, then reinstalling to see if that gets it working.

I plugged/unplugged the cord multiple time in both mine and gf's laptop to see if it was intermittant and laptop worked fine no matter what.

Router is wireless and laptop picked it up just fine, my computer doesn't have a wireless nic card nor do I want to waste money on one. Plus I like the speed I get out of a wire than wireless.

I'll try uninstalling nic driver and reinstalling and hope that works. Gdi I hate computers sometime.

was the laptop connecting on wifi the whole time? if that was the case the cable would have seemed fine when it wasn't.

Nah, I may not know "that" much about computers but I did make sure to disable the wireless portion and enable onboard nic on laptop. It's really fucking weird...

yeah. props to fodder then. I see no way that it could work every time in one and never in the other but that was it after all.

According to Heie a little while ago, there's 8 wires in the cable. some things require 4 and others 8. One of them could of been snapped. That's how I took it at least. I'd figure for nic interface it would be same for all computers. Either way, I need to go buy a new 100ft cable. lol

I've only had problems with wireless when router placed near another wireless device.. but yeah I agree with Eticket, wireless would be easier, but whatever floats your boat talfers.

Back