Let's Look At Support Dps...

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
1/3:

Yeah, another one. I figure it's worth the extra thread if it means my "voice" can be heard and my old main job might get properly looked at. Prepare to read words.

<I'm focused on BRD, but I'd like to see all Support DPS discussion>
I notice BRD players are mixed on what they think of the job right now. Some people are content, more are upset, and I've counted more than a few threads on the topic, but I'd like to know the specific changes people wanna see with Support DPS for the role to be mostly where we want it. After I moan and groan a bit about how BRD currently functions, I'm gonna post a wishlist of ideas to spark discussion.

To put it bluntly, as an ex-BRD main from the start of Stormblood to the end, I'm shocked that the changes weren't shot down internally at the moment of proposal. I'm beyond disappointed with how the job's gameplay turned out in ShB. Patch 5.1's adjustments also felt like a straight refusal to...well I was gonna say "change anything at all," but people are waving parsed numbers around as if those affect our gameplay whatsoever, and calling it good. So I'll rephrase that to say, what was changed was not at all what needed to be changed in the eyes of most BRD players, as far as I can tell.
My understanding is that they gutted BRD at ShB launch because they wanted to kill party synergy (as a whole?) and center the new support class (DNC) around the concept as the support class...no, please abort that operation. It means that I'm expected to level another class to the cap if I want to continue emulating the job that I already capped out because I actually enjoyed it. Either way, I don't buy the "killing party synergy" thing at all, otherwise they wouldn't have kept and distributed more party buffs between several other DPS jobs. It looks like NIN just jacked BRD's soul stone and split it 50/50 with his new friend who likes flailing her limbs around.
Needless to say I'm a NIN main since they slaughtered BoReD, but before we got the patch notes I said to my friends, "I bet they're gonna make BRD and DNC complement each other! That'll be fun!" ...Oh boy, uhh, that didn't happen... Now I find myself asking, "Why not have BRD buff the party with songs of inspiration, and DNC debuff the enemy with dances of intimidation?"

Right now, after the opener it's just "Burst -> Burst -> Burst -> Oh cool Refulgent! -> Burst -> Burst..." till it's time to pop those longer CDs real quick, and go right back to Burst Shot. Wanderer's Minuet and Mage's Ballad help make attacking somewhat of a dynamic process, but it's the lack of necessary upkeep and active thoughtful party support that makes the periods of successive "Burst Shot -> Refulgent Arrow" feel exceedingly drawn out. In Stormblood, it was a constant mixup so you hardly felt like you were mashing the same thing for too long, even when you were begging for the Refulgent proc.

Now, onto the constructive post...

Continue reading...

Back