Last post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

FC/Active Member
I guess this is my last post for a couple days. Winds are picking up slightly, but it's still sunny for the most part. By 2 or 3 PM we'll have 30-35 mph winds, and by 8 or 9PM it should be in the neighborhood of 80mph. To give you some perspective, no human can stand up in 80mph winds without restraints. The storm is still wobbling back and forth, so we probably won't know until the last minute if it hits directly on Galveston / Houston or 50-60 miles to the east. Even now, with 10-12mph winds, I can hear them howling against the side of the building.

I'm on the 17th floor of a high rise condo, and supposedly winds get exponentially stronger as you go up. So, if the winds are 70mph on the ground, could potentially be 150-160mph on the 17th floor. The windows were supposedly designed to handle 250mph winds. These high winds, along with tornadoes which simply can't be predicted, are my 2 biggest worries.

I have a digital camera, some food, water and other essentials. I'll also leave the wireless router plugged in, so I can get on the internet with my laptop in case of some emergency and I need to let someone know something.
Storm will get really bad around 9PM tonight, worst part of the storm will be about 3-4 in the morning, and it will start to die down around 2-3PM saturday. If it's possible due to power / internet issues, and if it's safe, I may get on the internet and post an update in this thread at some poing during the night.

Anyway I guess that's it. I'll leave you with this tragic story about a group of elderly folks who died while trying to evacuate. I drive by this nursing home fairly often, it's not too far from "everything".

i hope u reinforced ur windows o_O
and i hope everything goes well

Well I'm getting less and less worried as time passes (and yes, I realize I lied about that previous one being my last post). It shifted a little to the east again, and they expect downtown houston area to see at most 80mph winds. I might even be able to go out in that and get some video footage. It's still rather calm right now though. Breezy at most.

Tii make sure you have plenty of magazines and other girly stuff so you dont get bored in case your electric and what not goes out. Hope you guys are ok. Be safe! /hug tii

Hurricanes piss me off... you feel stupid when you get worried and they veer off at the last moment (which they *always* do... usually... lol) and then you feel stupid again when you don't give a damn and then you have no power for 2 weeks (gdammit). Ah well, not too much longer before hurricane season is over til next year. Keep fightin the good fight vs. Mother Nature Kal ^^

-benny

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

***^#$*@%&some other weird shit*%(*&#

and this from a HDD that just had windows reinstalled on it, dammit.

wtf;_;

-benny

benny said:
Hurricanes piss me off... you feel stupid when you get worried and they veer off at the last moment (which they *always* do... usually... lol) and then you feel stupid again when you don't give a damn and then you have no power for 2 weeks (gdammit). Ah well, not too much longer before hurricane season is over til next year. Keep fightin the good fight vs. Mother Nature Kal ^^

-benny

what about the fact that it was a category 5 when the evacuation was issued, now its only a cat 3 :abso-not:

Well, now the eye isn't even going to land in Texas, it's going to land in Louisiana. Personally I want to see some hardcore shit. Not CAT5 level shit, but I wouldn't mind some 100-115mph wind action. Meh, I'll be lucky if we get 75-80mph winds, but that's still pretty hardcore, I don't think you can stand up in 80mph winds. Winds are picking up considerably, but still nothing tropical storm like. Midnight is the key word, supposedly.

you can stand in 80, bout 95 is when i start gettin scared and run back to the house lol

They just showed a guy on TV reporting from about 50-60 miles east of where I am. The equiment measured the wind he was standing in at 50mph, and he could barely stand up. Couple times he fell down and had to get back up.

Kalia said:
They just showed a guy on TV reporting from about 50-60 miles east of where I am. The equiment measured the wind he was standing in at 50mph, and he could barely stand up. Couple times he fell down and had to get back up.

Those TV hacks ham it up a lot :-P

I'm roughly half joking

they really do like to make a big fuss out of stuff that isn't worth fussing about tho.

-benny

even though its not gonna hit houston hard im still a little scared... but i guess im just a big wuss =(... i think i watched same guy as you, he was in beaumont and he was gettin gusted all around lol

It's not so much the force of the winds, it's that they can swiftly change direction. So you brace yourself one way, and it comes at you from another suddenly. Makes balance a nightmare.

Yeah, I got a scar.

Huh.

Let that be a lesson to you never to wonder whats so similar in the similar threads box while perusing the dynamis forums.

Ok, I'm using my time machine to look less stupid, so that didn't just happen, and any idea that it did is just your imagination having fun with you.

Last edited:
lol its a hurricane u'll live ive been through 387432987982342 of those :D
maybe no power for a few days ~.~

lol this was like 6 months ago. And for the record, quite a few people died, -and- I lived a few miles away from the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back