Internet = X

Talfus

~Lux Aeterna~
No internet for the rest of this month.

Moving at end of month, don't have a place picked out/guaranteed.

Not sure when I'll be back.

Good hunting!

Old roommate said the internet would be on till the end of the month.

Went out yesterday morning, called comcast and they told it was shut off for non payment and not one payment had ever been made to them.

So ya, no internet. lol

Guess I could buy a power inverter and drive around business' with my desktop/monitor in the passenger seat of my car looking for a wireless signal. lol

best bet is to check the newspaper. else you could try www.forrent.com or apartment.com, you know, the usual big ones. Also try any website connected to your local metropolitan newspaper, they usually have classifieds online with rentals and whatnot.

Should be back tonight sometime. Found a new place to live and worked out a arrangement with the landlord to use his wireless internet.

Only problem I see is when his router fux up at 3 am and trying to figure a way to break in and hit the reset button... fuggin hate comcast. lol

See yas hopefully in about 45 min. :tounge-3:

Ok... so I lied. /shrug

Anyone know of a way to boost the signal coming off a wireless router?

Landlord lives upstairs and put the router right over top of where my computer is.

I can detect the network but it has 0 strength.

<Help me out!> :badshape:

Umm...

Better, high-gain antenna on your end?

Otherwise at the router side, you can get extension antennas.... I use these at my house... it has a seperate little stand that I mount to the ceiling and it hold two high-gain antennas while two coax (small) cables run back to the router on the equipment table.

That gives me a Good to Excellent signal all over the house. You can get external/gain antennas for your computer depending on the interface card you have. You may have to buy one that supports external antennas.

Aa

Talfus said:
Ok... so I lied. /shrug

Anyone know of a way to boost the signal coming off a wireless router?

Landlord lives upstairs and put the router right over top of where my computer is.

I can detect the network but it has 0 strength.

<Help me out!> :badshape:

I have a linksys wireless card atm.. Pretty sure landlord is running a linksys router (that's what it says when I try to connect).

I'll look around online for one of ... w/e you called em.

Thanks Aang.

Edit: the antenna (on the card) is about 4-6 inches long, I'm guessing Best buy or Circuit city would have a bigger one? prolly have to order the damned thing tho. lol

Drill a hole in the floor and just run a line through your ceiling

Overkill like crazy but, this is what I got for my ex-girlfriend's apt, she didnt want to pay for internet, I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for her shit neither. My solution:

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=58&ProdID=44

One time investment of about $200 including the cable, slapped the damn thing outside her window and just jumped on someones open connection.

With this antenna, went from seeing NO available connections to seeing about 15-20 (some secure of course).

If you have wireless: SECURE YOUR NETWORK!

I have my wireless router in my basement and have an 'excellent' signal in the 2nd floor of my house, with the default antennas.

If you do have his permission to use it, ask him to move the antennas a bit or the router itself a few feet, it sometimes clears it up.

Think the problem may be that he should point the antennas on the router down instead of up?

I am living in his basement apartment after all.
I'm assuming that routers are designed to travel up in radius, not down..

Back