info on frenetic rip and spinal cleave

Aelfinn

Moose
taken from Alla forums @ http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=16;mid=114867075375802266;num=14;page=1

will be usefull as a few of us aspiring blu's are nearing lvl60

Level 60+ is where a lot of people are going to stop playing Blue Mage, simply because of the difficulty in getting many of the spells after these levels.

In particiular, two level 63 spells are a PAIN to get because special conditions have to be satisfied to get Imps and Qutrub to use Frenetic Rip and Spinal Cleave, respectively.

Let's start with Imps.

There are two places to think about.

1.) The ship to Nashmau. Imps spawn here at night and they were Decent Challenge to me at 61.
2.) Orderly Imps in the Graveyard of Caedarva Mire (West exit from Nashmau). They were VT to me at 61. This is where I got it, with a 66 DRG, a 65 RDM, a 70 BLU, and a 75 WHM to help me out.

Normally Imps only use two moves, Deafening Tanatara and Abrasive Tantara (Silence and Amnesia, respectively, so bring echos). They will *only* use Frenetic Rip if their horn gets broken.

Breaking The Horn

It seems that any Critical Hit will have a chance of breaking the horn. Often people use SA + WS to do this, but this will often take off more than half of the Imp's HP (they don't have a lot). It's much easier to get the horn to break if you're keeping them alive. The horn broke for me on regular critical hits, but it seemed that critical hits on Weapon Skills or Blue Magic had a better chance of breaking it. Broke most of the time when Head Butt criticale'd or when one of the hits on Vorpal Blade scored a critical hit. Killing them slowly, we had about a 5/10 success rate at breaking the horn before killing them. So it's not as hard as it's been said, as long as you know what to do.

Frenetic Rip

So you've broken the horn? Now you need to feed it TP as fast as possible. After about 30 seconds of going without a horn...it will look constipated and look like it's pulling another one out of its butt...(i'm not kidding...that's really what it looks like...at first my party didn't believe me that they were making new horns and maybe that it just didn't break, but they indeed are capable of creating another horn, by whatever methods). If it uses a WS before it creates a new horn, it will use Frenetic Rip *only*. So you just need to be sure it uses a WS before that "omg i need a new horn" threshold.

And now the fun part...Qutrub

Qutrub can be found in Arrapago Reef. Best way is to enter from Caedarva Mire, but you'll need a Lamian Fang Key, be aware. After going through the first Iron Gate, go West and cross the COR ??? boat and go to the map change at F-10. This will take you to the second map, where there are PLENTY of Qutrub. I suggest fighting them around I-10, as there's a safe place to fight them there.

Two Weapons

Qutrub have Two Weapons...the one they start with, and a scimitar like blade sheathed on their back (and H2H if you want to count it.

This leads to three combat states in which they can be.

1.) Fighting with original weapon.
2.) Hand-to-Hand.
3.) Fighting with second weapon.

In the Qutrub's first form, it will use two self-buffing wail TP moves, Mangle (a 3 hit attack, watch out for shadows), and a 1-hit move called Leaping Cleave.

SE is teasing you.

To get them to use Spinal Cleave, the first weapon must get broken. How does that happen? Once again...critical hits. Multiple fast hits in a row seem to have a higher chance of breaking it...the best way I've seen to break it is Rampage. Almost everytime Rampage was used on the Qutrub (I went with myself as BLU61, a 70BLU, a 75 DRK/NIN, and 2 75 WHM), its first weapon broke. We broke the weapon every fight. It's not as hard as breaking an Imp's Horn.

Changing States

When it's in it's hand-to-hand form, Qutrubs are able to use the wails, Hex Palm (an HP drain move that's pretty strong, and Spinal Cleave.

Spinal Cleave is the act of the Qutrub quickly unsheathing its back weapon and slicing you with it, that's why.

Once you break the first weapon it will occasionally switch back and forth between H2H and using its second sword. Nothing seems to trigger this, it just does it periodically.

(It won't use Spinal Cleave when the second weapon is out)

Be careful, though. If you break its second weapon, it can't use Spinal Cleave for the rest of the fight.

Saftey First

Both me and the other BLU learned it the first time we saw it (= 3rd Qutrub). The first one didn't use it, the second one wiped us with Sleepga II (Go Go Reraise III ^^)

For this reason I suggest bringing a Healer and having them use Poison Potions.

Anyway, that's about it. Enjoy your new moves and have fun ^^
Good Luck

Could just wait til the Undead swarm hits Al Zahbi to learn spinal cleave and hysteric barrage, heard they use it more... prolly cause they have 100 people criting on them at any given time hehe.

Rikkuu was trying that one Beseiged.... she got smoked quite a few times by AOE though lol

Dar~

Deretic said:
Could just wait til the Undead swarm hits Al Zahbi to learn spinal cleave and hysteric barrage, heard they use it more... prolly cause they have 100 people criting on them at any given time hehe.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

Square Enix said:
Acquiring Blue Magic
Blue magic is acquired by “learning” the special abilities of monsters.

- You can only learn the special abilities of monsters when blue mage is set as your main job.
- You have a chance to acquire blue magic when defeating a monster that has used a learnable special ability.
- It is not possible to learn blue magic that is too far above your level.
- You will not acquire blue magic if you are KO'd when a monster is defeated, or the defeated monster does not yield experience points.

*Some monster abilities cannot be learned as blue magic.
*It is not necessary to be the target of a monster's special ability in order to learn blue magic.

Monsters in Beseiged don't yield Experience Points.

What i was thinkin was he was just going around diaga'ing everthing and one of the mobs around him musta died.

least that is my best guess lol

the "doesnt yeild xp" thing is a horrible way to describe what you can and cannot get spells from.
for sure cannot learn from CFH mobs, mobs killed out of range for you to gain xp(ie. other side of the zone), ksnm or bcnm mobs.

So what the fuck lol. I wonder if you can learn from Dynamis mobs too. If what they meant was "You cannot learn abilities from mobs whose level is far enough below yours that the monster does not yield experience points" then why didn't they say so lol.

well then it seems like too far away to yeild xp(other side of the zone) and CFH mobs onry

Kalia said:
So what the fuck lol. I wonder if you can learn from Dynamis mobs too. If what they meant was "You cannot learn abilities from mobs whose level is far enough below yours that the monster does not yield experience points" then why didn't they say so lol.

Actually... those ones give abilties also keke

mabye SE screwed up and just about anything lets you learn the spell and they didn't intend for that? lol

Vorpal Blade and Thrust both did the trick for me on Imps, worked pretty well, especially at 300% TP. Qutrubs on the other hand, I got Vorpal Blade to work once, countless Vorpal Thrusts didn't break it once. We got a BST nearby to help us and between Rampage and just general crits, he broke it 3 times in a row, used Spinal Cleave -twice- all 3 times, learned on the 2nd one :D

Back