I Frikin Love This Game. . .

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
So I'm finally finishing going through the entire initial 2.0 storyline in Japanese, and the part thats still sticking with me is Gaius from Praetorium. . .

Especially considering one of his lines after you beat Ultima (assuming that doesnt need to be put in spoilers?). I don't remember what the English dialogue was, but in Japanese it says this:

愚民を作るのは弱気為政者....。 弱気為政者を作るのも、愚民なのだ....。 誰かが力を持たねば、この流れは断ち切れぬ。 貴様ほどの力を持つ者が、何故この真理を理解せぬ?

In English, and this is is my off the cusp translation, it means this:

Lacking leaders make for ignorant people, and likewise ignorant people create lacking leaders. If someone does not have the power to rule them, that cycle will never end. . . . . How can one with such power as you not grasp this concept?

. . . . . I really had to stop for a moment there.

It wasn't that I agreed with Gaius. He's definitely on some wack communism cray-cray and I wouldn't trust him with anything admin related. . .

But I was in this moment sincerely convinced of how human a villain he was. He really, sincerely believed he was the good guy here. That him losing was the end. That was it. If he failed the world would crumble under his feet.

And I know my scribbled translation probably doesn't carry the words as well, but damn did the voice acting in with it just really punch me in the gut. His voice cracking under the stress of not only getting vaulted out of Ultima at high velocity, but also under the stress of knowing that his opponent has the capacity to save the world as he sees it needing saved. . . He doesn't even seem that obsessed with himself at that moment.

TL;DR This games dialogue and characters are amazing and Ive been staring at the screen for too long so I've lost my filter as to what to and what not to post to reddit.

Cheers

submitted by /u/_StudioGoodBoy_
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back