Graphics card halp

Lexa

Just call me Veronica Mars
The other day I discovered that Assassin's Creed was out for PC and was all "YAY!" about it - until i discovered that my graphics card wasn't good enough. *sadface* I need a new graphics card for my PC, but I am a complete hardware illiterate, and was hoping someone could recommend me one. One that will make my FFXI look really prettified, and one that makes it so I can play my shiny new game.

Assassin's Creed graphics card requirements (and pardon me, I'm just quoting the box at this point)
256MB DirectX 10.0 compliant video card or DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher.

*Supported cards at time of release
ATI/RADEON X1600/1650 - 1950/HD 2000/3000 series.
NVIDIA GeForce 6800/7/8/9 series

*PCI express only supported
There's a list over graphics cards and stuff for FFXI here, but I'm not hardware-y enough to understand all of it. >.>;;

I would prefer not to spend too much money, since - well, I don't have a lot of it. :) I'd say between $200-300 at the very most.

If your budget is 200-300 dollars, you can easily get an ATI HD 3870 or an Nvidia 8800GT, which will be plenty good, and have enough money left over to buy a sense of humor. BURN.

3870s and 8800GTs can be had now for 200 dollars or even less. Like fod said, make sure your computer is PCI Express capable by right clicking on the desktop, click properties, go to the settings tab, click the advanced button, and go to the adapter tab. It should state there whether it's PCI express or AGP. You may have to go to the hardware specific tab to look that up. Letting us know what model computer you have can also help us identify what capabilities it has.

38 minute response time on a PC related question Furax... getting a bit slow heh?

Last edited:
and have enough money left over to buy a sense of humor. BURN.

Everything I know about humor I learned from Furax.

:greenscra

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks! :D I'll check it out once I'm done at school.

Dude, I'm migrating our phone monitoring and reporting software from our legacy system into this new one and shit is coming out all fucked up so I have to go in and FUCKING REDO THESE FUCKING REPORTS THAT THE COMPANY HAD SET UP AND FUCKED UP. I thought I'd be done in 3 days and it's been 2 fucking weeks now because wherever this shit is getting it's information from, which i think is the database off the phone switch itself, is coming out zonky based on the filters I use for each report in the new software. Which is stupid because the filters were mirrored from the ORIGINAL software, so the results should be the same.

So what kind of computer do you have Lexa? We can make some recommendations based on your system, or lead you down an upgrade path that will fall within your budget.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwOvuY0UbFM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwOvuY0UbFM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

c6ecec92.jpg

This be what it says, not sure what it means. >.>;; The one thingy says PCI, but the other side has the word "integrated" which scares me, because last time I came across that word, it means "you can't change your graphics card, you's fucked."

Please:

1. Make/model of your comp.
2. Take off the cover, take a picture of the slots, post here.

Click on the 7350LE tab and paste the information here. There's usually extra info provided by the drivers.

That seems to be a pcie think the nvidia 9600 would be the best bang for ur dollar at a $200 price range or is thats a laptop then ur kinda fux0red

Well aside from not knowing if you have PCI-E or AGP... I'm willing to bet its AGP if its an old computer. However... whoever told you that onboard graphics cards means your "shit out of luck" obviously didn't know enough about computers.

BTW, is that assasins creed you tube movie for real? 11 clicks to "exit"?

Last time I encountered an integrated graphics card, it meant that it was part of the motherboard, and I couldn't exchange it. This was in 2003-ish, and the two people who told me were my best friend's computer wiz programmer boyfriend, and some pimply teenager at the electronic's store.

Pat came for a visit yesterday and promptly observed I had PCI Express, and I bought the nVIDIA 880GT, installed it, and then discovered it's got known problems with FFXI when the OS is Vista. Fun! :D

Then I updated the drivers because I like Vista, am too paranoid to pirate XP and too broke to buy it, and now FFXI is awesome and smooth and pretty, and hey guess what, I can play Assassin's Creed! :D

...the only thing is, since updating to the drivers that finally fixed FFXI for me, I'm getting a "Server busy - that action cannot be completed because the other program is busy" error on startup, and then the volume icon in my taskbar disappears. If I click, "Switch to..." nothing happens, and the icon is gone, period (though I still have sound and can adjust the volume via my keyboard). If I click "Retry..." the icon comes back and everything works fine (at least haven't found any problems so far).

Weird. >.>

PS. Yes, Razorcat. Personally, it doesn't bug me, though. :)

Eh, too late now, and the 8800 serves its purpose fine for me. :) The weird error is just a minor annoyance.

Back