Good Wireless Card for FFXI?

Zeri

Retainer of the House of Ultimague
So I'd like to move my computer across the house cause I'm sick of Jere's FREAKIN dad staring at my computer screen. It really fucking pisses me off and I've told him not to do it. But he still reads my convos and shit. Hell, he'll probably walk by and read me posting this. Good for fucking him.

ANYWAY, my bedroom is really far from the cable outlet w/router so unless I wanted to get 200 feet of ethernet cord, I'm looking at getting a wireless card for my desktop. I toyed with this like, 4 years ago and it sucked ass. I kept getting D/C'ed from game nonstop. I'll guess it was the shitty card. Anyone have any recommendations for desktop wireless cards that work well for FFXI? Thanks in advance.

Meh... most of my stuff has Intel Wireless built in, but I've had good luck with NetGear and Linksys cards. It's always the wireless router I've had problems with. My current Wireless router has been fine with three devices using the wireless function, it is a NetGear box.

You can get extended range stuff to help get the best utilization rate of the signal. (good external antenna)

....and that guy staring/reading your screen, creepy!

I had an issue similar to that when i first started using wireless. My problem was Windows Wireless Configuration Zero. I don't know if it has changed in the meantime, but at the time it would cause my computer to look for a new wireless network every 60 seconds. Might make sure that that is turned off.

I've had two different Linksys USB external wireless thingys, and they've both worked really well. One I gave to my roommate who's at the other end of the house, one floor down, and one I have in my old PC.

I'm presuming you have a wireless router? If so then get the comparable card to your router. If you need to get both the router and card, then linksys should work well and is sold mostly everywhere

I'm presuming you have a wireless router? If so then get the comparable card to your router. If you need to get both the router and card, then linksys should work well and is sold mostly everywhere

Of course. I just don't make use of its wireless capability at the moment. Since wireless protocols are pretty standard, they should all be compatible. I'm just trying to get an idea of a card that can keep up on my end. I know the router's fine because my bf could play FFXI on his laptop all right (when his laptop works. Lousy overheating issues... ) but my old card had sucked. Was some cheap thing I had picked up at like walmart cause I figured the router was the real hauler and the card a minor part. I wasn't entirely correct there. ^^;;

....and that guy staring/reading your screen, creepy!

Yeah... makes me want to punch him in the fucking face. Especially after I've told him it bothers me. Currently I just minimize all my windows so there's nothing but blank desktop to try and get him to move on. Which is probably why I'm afk half the time in game lately. (._.)

I remember back when I lived with my dad and his then-gf-now-wife, I had some problems with wireless. Was mainly due to the fact that my router was right next to our cordless phone.. they interfered with each other. Random disconnects on my computer, weird interference on the phone. Problem fixed itself when I moved the router a couple feet away. It seems that they run on the same frequency so it's a common problem. Another supposed solution is to change channels on the wireless settings on your router, I didn't have much luck with that though.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since most people (assuming you have cable - which might not be the case) have their phones next to their modem. Most people have that triple play stuff cable companies offer..

As for wireless cards... the only real noticable difference between them is price I think. As Aang said, it's usually the router that decides to rebel against humanity.

I recently bought a Netgear wireless router and a USB adapter- dual band Wireless-N. Then I bought Network Magic to make the whole thing run. I found that just moving the router and adapter around made the most difference. The adapter came with a cable and I have the adapter stuck on the back of the monitor so it gets an unobstructed signal. I have to keep the router up in the air about 30 inches from the PC and other equipment so it gets an clear, strong signal.

Probably either Linksys or Netgear will work. Just use the software to watch the little bars go up and down so you can play with where the best signal is! :)

Interesting how much location really makes a difference. Unfortunately in a small apartment, and trying to move my computer to a location that ISN'T in Harry's normal walk-by range (i.e. my bedroom) gives me limited options. So I would be in the next room, there is a closet wall in between the router and bedroom. So I'll probably need to get something to boost the signal decently. Thank you all for the great suggestions!

Here's what I use.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179458 - in the computer.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=4329833028B01 - router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php - in the router.

DD-WRT is a great piece of firmware, as you can boost the antenna signal up to 270 mW, which is a LOT more than the base strength, which I think hovers around 40-70. Probably the best part of it, you can set it up as a wireless repeater bridge and connect to your router as part of a client on someone else's unsecured wireless network. Your router, with its superior antenna, can pick up weak signals your desktop card won't find. It's a pretty sweet feature.

if you get random tells that say, Piss off Harry!! take no offense ;)

Just throw up some meatspin and he'll quit looking at your monitor.

Back